Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Americans: Do you plan to fly an American flag on Flag Day?
Yes 30 61.22%
No 18 36.73%
I'm not a U.S. citizen 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Everyday at my house is flag day, unless it is raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I got my education in Aurora, Colorado (Cherry Creek Public Schools), followed by college in Portland, Oregon (Reed College, degree in chemistry). That and at my home - father an airline pilot, formal naval officer, and Eagle Scout - mother a librarian.

And it doesn't embarrass me at all. I honestly don't know anyone who celebrates Flag Day: my family never celebrated flag day - none of my neighbors or friends have ever celebrated Flag Day - my school never mentioned Flag Day - I've never heard it mentioned in the media. Hell, I've never owned, nor has my family owned, an American flag. They only time I ever handled an American flag was when I was in the Boy Scouts (who also never celebrated or mentioned Flag Day). Flag Day has just been a non-event in my life. I honestly had no clue that anybody celebrated it until I came across this thread.

From 3rd grade, I was in charge of raising and lowering the flag at my elementary school(Because of my association with cub scouts)

Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Flag Day has been around for donkey's years. I always display the colonial grand union flag from our front porch (British Union Flag in the field, coupled with thirteen red and white stripes), but as that isn't an official US flag, I don't think it counts.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't really think about flag day very much, but I'm willing to bet it offends liberals.
Why? Flag Day was established by a progressive liberal, Woodrow Wilson.

I consider myself to be a liberal, I'm very patriotic, and I will be flying an American flag on Flag Day.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Flag Day has been around for donkey's years. I always display the colonial grand union flag from our front porch (British Union Flag in the field, coupled with thirteen red and white stripes), but as that isn't an official US flag, I don't think it counts.
It is acceptable to fly any US flag as an "official flag", AFAIK. My dad's aunt had some flag with 40some stars (not 48) that she always flew on the 4th of July at the family reunion.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
I don't get it at all..We see the flag on every federal building, vets day, memorial day, it's everywhere. We salute it in school from the time we're four. Are we drones or people? It's our countries symbol, that's it. I don't worship anything, let alone a symbol. I appreciate those people that fought for freedom and put their lives on the line but the flag is just a flag.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I don't get it at all..We see the flag on every federal building, vets day, memorial day, it's everywhere. We salute it in school from the time we're four. Are we drones or people? It's our countries symbol, that's it. I don't worship anything, let alone a symbol. I appreciate those people that fought for freedom and put their lives on the line but the flag is just a flag.
It is sad that the symbol of freedom has turned into something where people want to take away your freedoms if you don't worship it.

Francis Bellamy was very smart, he knew that he could get people to turn from the ideals of America by getting us to pledge allegiance to the state. Now I am called a commie when I don't recite the pledge.

Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2011, 04:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why? Flag Day was established by a progressive liberal, Woodrow Wilson.

I consider myself to be a liberal, I'm very patriotic, and I will be flying an American flag on Flag Day.
Fascist!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,496 times
The flag is flown everyday at my house. It may just be a "symbol", but what and who it symbolizes is why it gets my full respect and why it gets me upset when idiots disrespect it.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
The flag is flown everyday at my house. It may just be a "symbol", but what and who it symbolizes is why it gets my full respect and why it gets me upset when idiots disrespect it.
What about when someones liberties are trampled, does that get you upset also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies