Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

That's not smoke coming out of Cliff Phillips' mouth.

But that hasn't stopped others from cringing, making remarks, waving their hands in their faces and coughing at the sight of the vapor from his electronic cigarette.

Electronic cigarettes don't give off smoke, but some US areas are starting to ban them - 6/6/2011 8:10:34 PM | Newser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
One day at work we prepped an area for work above the ceiling where asbestos was located. We set up a tint, put out warning signs, then went down stairs to get the equipment we needed. Few minutes later the nurses were calling saying they couldn't breath with all the asbestos in the air. No ceiling tile had been removed, no asbestos had been disturbed, and there was no asbestos in the air AT ALL! they saw the warning signs about asbestos and thought it was in the air and so they had trouble breathing.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:11 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
So even though it really isn't smoke, bureaucrats will call it smoke and ban it as smoke.

Why don't they ban farting, BO and overworked/underwashed private bits from the public domain.

Talk about offensive.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
More proof that it's not the smoke that's the issue, but smoking. Unless it's marijuana, in which case it should be legalized while tobacco should be banned.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Default Conditioning

Water vapor cigarettes..........

I wondered when this controversial issue would hit. I have also wondered what the 'near beer' non alcoholic drinks would be similarly be addressed.

The answer is conditioning.

It appears we've been conditioned that the 'act' of the 'smoking' and/or 'drinking' reprehensible.

I wonder who'll be the first employee fired for it?

Sounds like litigation is coming......

Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
The issue with smoking a regular cigarette is two-fold. Not only is the smoke obnoxious and a cancer risk to non-smokers, but the smoker is also addicted to the tobacco nicotine. With the electronic cigarette system, while there is no smoke, there is still the problem with the user being addicted to nicotine...

And that is why teenagers would also be prohibited from smoking an electronic cigarette. Nicotine addiction is a serious problem and one that is a very hard addiction to kick.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The issue with smoking a regular cigarette is two-fold. Not only is the smoke obnoxious and a cancer risk to non-smokers, but the smoker is also addicted to the tobacco nicotine. With the electronic cigarette system, while there is no smoke, there is still the problem with the user being addicted to nicotine...

And that is why teenagers would also be prohibited from smoking an electronic cigarette. Nicotine addiction is a serious problem and one that is a very hard addiction to kick.
EVERY person in my immediate family were tobacco smokers except me. And I come from a large family by average standards. All my cousins were Marlboro men. I've breathed second hand smoke for all of my 60 years (up until the ban that is).

To date, only two have had lung cancer. One has died.

I've been checked and my doctor has actually commented on my amazingly clear lungs.

(btw, no contest on the nicotine addiction argument - that is a fact.)

Splain that please.

My only 'addition' is posting here.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Don't go off topic. This thread is discussing the bans on electronic cigarettes. I was just stating that the objection to regular cigarette smoking was two-fold, the obnoxious clouds of smoke AND the nicotine addiction. And the problem with electronic cigarettes is that while they don't created smoke, they still feed the nicotine addiction.

As to your physical health, probably you have good genes that enable your lungs to survive cigarette smoke. Just as some people have some weak or defective genes that make them likely to have certain bad physical and mental problems.

But please stay on topic.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Ban alcohol, addiction to that ruins a hell of a lot more lives than addiction to nicotine.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:15 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I see.

So the nicotine is a bigger deal than the smoke itself. What should be done about caffeine addiction? Why do think coffee drinkers get cranky when they "don't have [their] morning coffee"?

I would also like to point out that your attitude is puritan in nature. The idea that someone can have a pleasure without negative consequences is a terrible thing. Just like those who oppose condoms. Whether or not you agree with it is one thing, but at the end of the day it is the same mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies