Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

SoCal I have to wait to rep u again....

InformedConsent-do you admire people(to use the term loosely since God would not create a pos like that) like Jamie Dimon B of A....CEO.?

...what a great bastion of success he is [sarc]...Id pay to see him thrown off a cliff. another piece of human trash sell-out. worse than a divorce atty, and I have known many, lol.

Forbes is like reading Money magazine to see where to put your REIT's....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Oh yeah sure........people like Bernie Madoff were self made too. Those stats are bullcrap and mean nothing. There is no such thing as "self made" nowadays. EVERYONE relies on everyone else for their livelihood unless you are one of the few people that live off the grid and don't depened on society or anyone else for anything. There is a huge broad spectrum between being self made and inheriting............and most of the rich fall in the middle.
Again... most didn't inherit their wealth. The vast majority of the truly wealthy capitalized on either a concept, skill, product, or any combination thereof, took risks, made personal sacrifices, and grew their own wealth. They did not play the fake "victim" card so many here are quick to embrace.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
True, but most of the very wealthy did not inherit their wealth. The latest available detailed stats of the Forbes Top 400 Richest Americans show that 274 are self-made. That is, 68.5% (more than 2/3 of the Top 400) did not inherit their wealth; they EARNED it.
Secrets Of The Self-Made 2009 - Forbes.com
So 32% inherited it. It would be interesting how you describe self made, or what they describe as self made. Would you call Ted Turner a self made ....billionaire?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
SoCal I have to wait to rep u again....

InformedConsent-do you admire people(to use the term loosely since God would not create a pos like that) like Jamie Dimon B of A....CEO.?

...what a great bastion of success he is [sarc]...Id pay to see him thrown off a cliff. another piece of human trash sell-out. worse than a divorce atty, and I have known many, lol.

Forbes is like reading Money magazine to see where to put your REIT's....
Lol, you have no clue. It would be nice if you actually knew who Dimon works for.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Admire their business acumen? Yes. Approve of their illegal acts? No. But Obama and his DOJ refuse to do anything about the illegal acts they've committed.
Quote:
"Everything's f*cked up, and nobody goes to jail" - former Senate investigator

"The betrayal that this represents by Obama to everybody is just — we're not ready to believe it," says Budde, a classmate of the president from their Columbia days. "He's really f*cking us over like that? Really?"
Why Isn't Wall Street in Jail? | Rolling Stone Politics

Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 PM

545 posts, read 400,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Rags to Riches story. Man these are old. You are not the people we are talking about. My guess is that you are not in the top 1%, if you were you would probably have someone write this for you.

P.S. a great many of us have been poor in the past. I had to eat jam sandwich. It is not what you think. It is one piece of bread jammed between two other pieces of bread.

I had opportunities that I took advantage of, the goal is to keep those opportunities available and provide a level playing field for achievement.

So let me get this straight, you have heard so many rags to riches story that you are sick of hearing them?....

in-fact you, yourself seem to have made something of yourself..

so why do you feel that "opportunities" need to stay available and provide a "playing field for achievement" if according to you, "rags to riches" are getting old?....

you said "a great many of us was poor in the past"...well if you and "a great many" of you are no longer poor why not advocate self-reliance since you and so many of you have done it?

isn't that what I have been saying that you can no longer be poor if you personally do something about it...why is more redistribution of wealth is the answer when you and so many others didn't need?

I'm sure I am not in the 1%, don't really care or know where I am because most of us don't say anything about it, don't know why you made that off-handed. pointless comment though but I'll indulge it anyway...

there are all kinds of secret wealthy people walking around you never read or hear about...The Mars family wont even allow pictures to be taken...people have their wealth sealed up for a number of reasons...the only reason you hear about the Gates and Buffets of the world is because they have public companies and the law requires you to disclose your finances to the public....now people who have private holdings don't have to say anything and many of us don't....But I am sure you knew that...right?

I have seen at least 10 guys with torn, ragged clothes walking around with Amex Black Cards...I still wear a pair of shoes I got 5 years ago and let me tell you, they are horrible looking...

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So 32% inherited it. It would be interesting how you describe self made, or what they describe as self made. Would you call Ted Turner a self made ....billionaire?
Did Ted Turner inherit all of his wealth? Or did he make sacrifices, take risks, work hard, and leverage a much smaller inheritance into the multi-billions he has today? Did he inherit CNN? Or did he found it?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
So let me get this straight, you have heard so many rags to riches story that you are sick of hearing them?....

in-fact you, yourself seem to have made something of yourself..

so why do you feel that "opportunities" need to stay available and provide a "playing field for achievement" if according to you, "rags to riches" are getting old?....

you said "a great many of us was poor in the past"...well if you and "a great many" of you are no longer poor why not advocate self-reliance since you and so many of you have done it?

isn't that what I have been saying that you can no longer be poor if you personally do something about it...why is more redistribution of wealth is the answer when you and so many others didn't need?

I'm sure I am not in the 1%, don't really care or know where I am because, most of us don't say anything about it, don't know why you made that off-handed. pointless comment though but I'll it indulge anyway...

there are all kinds of secret wealthy people walking around you never read or hear about...The Mars family wont even allow pictures to be taken...people have their wealth sealed up for a number of reasons...the only reason you hear about the Gates and Buffet of the world is because they have public companies and the law requires you to disclose your finances to the public....now people who have private holdings don't have to say anything and many of us don't....But I am sure you knew that...right?

I have seen at least 10 guys with torn, ragged clothes walking around with Amex Black Cards...I still wear a pair of shoes I got 5 years ago and let me tell you, they are horrible looking...
First, the stories are old and tiresome because they are anecdotal. 2nd, and more importantly, you and I did not succeed on our own. We succeeded because we had opportunities. You can say you did it all on your own, but that would be rare indeed. I received student loans from the govt., which many are trying to cut. I received free lunches from school, which sometimes was the only meal that I received for the whole day, which they are now trying to cut.

With money tied up in so few people...The top 1%, there is less velocity (money changing hands), without velocity the economy is going to continue to slump. Going forward unless the money is freed up, people will not be given the same economic opportunities that you and I had.

The mars family is on the forbes list...a long with their picture I might add. If your picture is probably not on the list. These 400 people control approx. 1.2 trillion of the countries wealth, but I guess you don't see a problem with that? A good portion of this wealth was inherited. In other words, they never were poor or even middle class, they were born into etreme wealth. Members of the Mars family would be a good example.

http://www.forbes.com/wealth/forbes-400#p_3_s_arank_-1_

Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM

545 posts, read 400,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did Ted Turner inherit all of his wealth? Or did he make sacrifices, take risks, work hard, and leverage a much smaller inheritance into the multi-billions he has today? Did he inherit CNN? Or did he found it?

people can make all kinds of reasoning when it comes to other people's money....but ask them about their own paychecks and they quickly change their tone...they are the only "hard workers" around...

when these people check their bank accounts, do they thank themselves for putting that money there or do they thank "society" for it?...

think about it, this whole "you owe society" thing seems to be directed at everyone else but themselves...half the country don't even pay any income taxes, you don't think something like that isn't unsustainable and just outright unfair? ...and yet I have literally seen liberals say I need to pay more taxes because I use "sidewalks"...I have literally seen that...as if "sidewalks" were the exclusive domain for the rich and privilege and no one else use them...

I keep trying to find a deeper meaning to it but I just keep coming back to its "wealth envy"....

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I mock it because I live in a land of facts not in things I make up and want to apply to Jefferson.
If it makes you feel better to feel that way, have at it. I am sure it is difficult to have your world view shaken by quotes and facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies