Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does religion matter to you in the qualification of a president?
Yes 39 27.27%
No 104 72.73%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Both yes and no.

I don't care about someones individual religion, but when they use it to try and enforce morality, then I have a problem with it.

This! I'm Christian, but I'm not in the business of telling others how to live, and I would expect the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
If a guy is dumb enough to think there is no God, he can't be trusted with the job of president. I wouldn't support a law stating that, but I would vote accordingly.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Sorry, but if you honestly think of the Catholic denomination is not Christian then you really don't know what you think you know. I know a lot about religions also, and the history of them and you would be surprised at things you think are facts that are not really.
Catholicism is a denomination of Chritianity. There are some distinct aspects about it that other denominations do not have. For expample, Mary being given the title "Mother of God".

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Christians do not teach to kill for their religion. That you are flat out lying about.
Then they're not teaching their religion very well.

Deuteronomy 13:13-19
Quote:
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock.
2 Chronicles 15:12-13
Quote:
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.
Exodus 2:11-12
Quote:
One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. 12 Looking this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.
Exodus 22:19
Quote:
Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed
Deuteronomy 25:11-12
Quote:
If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
1 Kings 18:40
Quote:
Then Elijah commanded them, “Seize the prophets of Baal. Don’t let anyone get away!” They seized them, and Elijah had them brought down to the Kishon Valley and slaughtered there.
Jeremiah 48:10
Quote:
A curse on anyone who is lax in doing the LORD’s work!
A curse on anyone who keeps their sword from bloodshed!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Catholicism is a denomination of Chritianity. There are some distinct aspects about it that other denominations do not have. For expample, Mary being given the title "Mother of God".
They also disagree on major aspects of theology, such as salvation.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Does religion matter to you in the qualification of a president?
It depends on the candidate and how they express their faith or lack of. It, as in every other way I evaluate a candidate, is a case by case basis. YMMV

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Then they're not teaching their religion very well.

Deuteronomy 13:13-19

2 Chronicles 15:12-13

Exodus 2:11-12

Exodus 22:19

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

1 Kings 18:40

Jeremiah 48:10
Not a single one of those teaches that we should kill, as Christians.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Sorry, but if you honestly think of the Catholic denomination is not Christian then you really don't know what you think you know. I know a lot about religions also, and the history of them and you would be surprised at things you think are facts that are not really.
While Catholicism is clearly Christian in origin, I can state with the utmost certainty that there are entire Baptist churches that reject Catholics as being Christians, as well as rejecting Mormons as being Christians. At a certain point, such beliefs actually do have traction, no matter how false the belief is. Just like believing that the planet is only a few thousands years old. Beliefs, no matter how unfounded, sometimes have a life of their own.

What's interesting is that it's many fundamentalists who are the most vehement about their distrust of Islam, and who cite the Old Testament most often. But they don't even realize that much of the Koran is based on the Old Testament.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Kind of. I need a Christian of some sort. But whether he's Catholic, Baptist or Mormon...I don't care. I don't think I could ever vote for an atheist, but then again, I doubt an atheist would get the nomination for Republican so, it's kind of a non-starter for me.
Note: Mormons are not Christians.
Casper

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They also disagree on major aspects of theology, such as salvation.
Such as?
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies