Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: some pro sports stars make millions per year. is this somehow a reflection of american values?
it's obscene. in america, our values are totally screwed up 47 45.19%
those stars deserve it. they earned that money 32 30.77%
those stars deserve it. our values are perfectly fine 16 15.38%
uh, it's not just here, okay? it happens in other countries too 27 25.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Haha what hypocrisy! I mean listen to yourself. On the one hand you say there is nothing wrong with them making all this money..........then on the other hand you think they should be spending their money on putting other people to work? LMAO! Of course he's going to invest in real estate. It's how they make MORE MONEY! You think he's going to send kids to college on scholarships, open up half way houses, fund a hospital, or do something doesn't garner him more money? Stupidity I swear!
ROCKETS: Mutombo is helping fund a $29 million hospital in the Congo.

Quote:
Mutombo, who donated $15 million from The Dikembe Mutombo Foundation, will soon unveil the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital in the Congo.

The hospital will provide health care to people in Kinshasa, Mutombo's birth place.

"Scores of Congolese die each day unnecessarily due to the lack of access to healthcare and modern medicine," Mutombo told NBA.com. "This hospital will be equipped with cutting edge technology, and will go a long way toward diminishing the shortage of doctors and medical experts in Congo."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
While certainly a good deed, and still supporting your point, it is important to note that Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo only donated $3.5 million of that $29 million out of his pocket and the rest was raised through the charity with the help of his star power.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have no objection so long as there is an income tax of about 90% on their salaries.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Artists, sports people, stars even corporations, as long as they aren't stepping on others to achieve their wealth it shouldn't concern you.

Now if they hire illegals and off shore and don't contribute then there is reason to come down on them.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 AM

62 posts, read 121,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
They earn their money from their fans buying tickets and merchandise. If you don't like it don't buy into it.
This. Enormous athlete salaries are simply the result of the natural forces of a free market system

Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have no objection so long as there is an income tax of about 90% on their salaries.
That's ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
No, it is not. There is no long-term economic benefit from a sporting event because the sporting event does not produce any thing of real value in exchange for the money received.
Once the game is over, the fans that paid for the event have nothing to show for their hard-earned money. Their "experience" adds nothing to the economy as a whole.
The fact that some people have made money from the event does not alter that it is a dead end economically.
Contrast that to buying say tools or equipment in business, which continues to generate wealth every day.
Prosperity comes from generating wealth by both parties getting value in a business transaction. Entertainment in itself, has no economic value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Tell that to the people who draw their paycheck from the entertainment business. It's basically a service industry. You could say the same thing about any business that sells experiences, like restaurants, and resort hotels for example. They don't "produce" anything of real value either, except to the consumer who values the experience. But they certainly employ a lot of people, and have various support industries that keep afloat because of their existence.
jimhcom: I see your point but the computer won't let me 'rep' you again.

FinsterRufus: I see your point too.

I guess at some point America as a whole decided: We're 'built up' enough so there's no great need to keep building. Let's focus on fun fun fun.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Tell that to the people who draw their paycheck from the entertainment business. It's basically a service industry. You could say the same thing about any business that sells experiences, like restaurants, and resort hotels for example. They don't "produce" anything of real value either, except to the consumer who values the experience. But they certainly employ a lot of people, and have various support industries that keep afloat because of their existence.
All true, but when a society overvalues "experiences" and undervalues real economic engines like saving and investing, you get what we have today, which is a failing economy.
Obscene salaries for entertainers are only a symptom of the bigger disease. A recent poll stated that 44% of the population could not put their hands on $2000 in one months time without borrowing or selling some of their possessions. In my book that means 44% of the population is a hop, skip and a jump from being homeless.
A society in that kind of financial condition cannot afford to be indulging themselves with so much entertainment.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
All true, but when a society overvalues "experiences" and undervalues real economic engines like saving and investing, you get what we have today, which is a failing economy.
Obscene salaries for entertainers are only a symptom of the bigger disease. A recent poll stated that 44% of the population could not put their hands on $2000 in one months time without borrowing or selling some of their possessions. In my book that means 44% of the population is a hop, skip and a jump from being homeless.
A society in that kind of financial condition cannot afford to be indulging themselves with so much entertainment.
+5. we're a society in the red........and she'll have fun fun fun 'til her daddy takes the T bird awayyyyy

in a nutshell we are an imbalanced society full of grown children. and children always vote for fun over prudence.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:

As a general response, what is wrong with fun? Or are we suppose to live a life of work....work work 'till ya drop? Huh life is suppose to be fun and happy, life isn't always but it should be strived to be. Things created from the mind are as important as things created from the factory.

And as a guitar player, I can say music, art and such is something people put temendous hours into. Practicing and advancing 2, 4, even 6 or 8 hours a day to become better. And then there is the talent factor that some just shine through on, which those people if they are fortunate achieve stardom. I suppose Stevie Ray Vaughn and Charlton Heston and Will Smith and The Beatles and Earl Klugh and Peter O' Tool and Roy Clark and on and on wasted their lives away practicing and then sharing their art?

I don't want to live in a country or world without art, music and fun. Might as well just become dead.....

Last edited by lionking; 06-14-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies