Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
No? Just take a look at all the "Weiner threads" and catch up on all the "private life" arguments you Left Hand Nuts have been dishing up in his defense.
Weiner's situation is more about lying than it is anything else. He wasn't trying sponsor a tweet my package vigil for all to see. His private actions were undermined by an opportunistic recipient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Weiner's situation is more about lying than it is anything else. He wasn't trying sponsor a tweet my package vigil for all to see. His private actions were undermined by an opportunistic recipient.
Are you just upset that you can't stop people from being involved in religion?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Nope. I'll bet it's just Christianity.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
^^^^^

Oh? So now it's about "lying"???? That is the ONE issue that has been largely ignored by the Left Hand Nuts who go on and on about "it's between him and his wife".

You're losing, Frozenyo. Even people who have little or nothing to do with religion aren't backing you up on this one. Give it up and crawl back under the covers. Today isn't a good day for you.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Nope, citizens can do whatever they want but a governor, governs people of all belief/non-belief systems and should not be leading a christian prayer event. I personally don't like the president's "day of prayer" but he doesn't specify any particular religion thus not exculding those not of his faith.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Church Services in Congress after the Civil War
Charles Boynton (1806-1883) was in 1867 chaplain of the House of Representatives and organizing pastor of the First Congregational Church in Washington, which was trying at that time to build its own sanctuary. In the meantime the church, as Boynton informed potential donors, was holding services "at the Hall of Representatives" where "the audience is the largest in town. . . .nearly 2000 assembled every Sabbath" for services, making the congregation in the House the "largest Protestant Sabbath audience then in the United States." The First Congregational Church met in the House from 1865 to 1868.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Nope, citizens can do whatever they want but a governor, governs people of all belief/non-belief systems and should not be leading a christian prayer event. I personally don't like the president's "day of prayer" but he doesn't specify any particular religion thus not exculding those not of his faith.
He's taking a day off from being "Governor" so he's just Rick Perry, fellow Texan leading a prayer.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Adams's Description of a Church Service in the Supreme Court
John Quincy Adams here describes the Reverend James Laurie, pastor of a Presbyterian Church that had settled into the Treasury Building, preaching to an overflow audience in the Supreme Court Chamber, which in 1806 was located on the ground floor of the Capitol.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
^^^^^

Oh? So now it's about "lying"???? That is the ONE issue that has been largely ignored by the Left Hand Nuts who go on and on about "it's between him and his wife".

You're losing, Frozenyo. Even people who have little or nothing to do with religion aren't backing you up on this one. Give it up and crawl back under the covers. Today isn't a good day for you.
I can't speak for "the left". I've always said that his lying was reprehensible. What is it with you and losing? I'm not here for brownie points, and could care less if anyone sides with me. Most if not all that have commented here are in fact christians..I've often adamantly disagreed with liberals on this forum. I have my own brain and own opinions. Maybe you don't.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Frozenyo, quit shooting yourself in the foot.

This prayer vigil is being held by the Governor of Texas, sure enough, just like every other legal citizen of the USA (even if he's a politician) has his own private beliefs, and the God-given right to have them and even express them. He is also having the vigil in a stadium (which is being rented out by a private organization, no problems there) and he's inviting other politicians for an "apolitical religious service".

From what I've seen, Rick Perry has violated nothing, just him and his fellow politicians (which I presume are other Southern politicians, which would most likely be Christian in nature) having a prayer vigil.

Nothing was broken, nothing was violated and nothing was wronged. It's just your blind, bigoted hatred of Religion in general that clouds your sense of well, everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies