Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

One guy said Individuals provided the innovation in NASA not the "government"????

So Individuals don't work for the government? So are they ran by Robots or Aliens?
If you spend some time in a government building you will see that the "people" do seem to be quite robotic. Trust me.

You come to learn that most of these people could not think their way out of a wet paper bag.

For local proof, head on down to your department of motor vehicles for a little taste of their unique brand of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 AM

545 posts, read 400,115 times
Nasa you say?....well what about the Military?..don't all kinds of innovation come out of there? especially during wartime....hell, you people seem to be all for "govt innovation" so why the hell do so many libs want to cut the defense budget?....

ok, lets put it another way....when has the govt increased in size overall, made itself a greater presence in our lives led to greater freedom and innovation and less debt?......when the US regulates itself to the point of crippling itself in some markets (forex, I am speaking from a personal exp) led to greater freedom and innovation?....

state-of-the-art research facilities only super-brains have access to don't count...

when you are seeking a profit only to have it "regulated" away by some asinine rules can be really depressing...especially knowing those same rules aren't overseas...(which is why more and more people are investing overseas, not because they "hate the poor" but because doing business here is getting more pointless, but that's for another thread)...

I'm not saying the govt is good for nothing...I just don't think we should relay on them for just about every damn thing....especially innovation...I rather depend on Intel for my microchips, they have pc gaming in mind, where as NASA would probably only design their chips for computing algorithms for deep space probes or something....

oh and by the way, Companies had to design their own internet networks because the govt wouldn't allow commercial content on theirs....so they had to code and lay out their own lines which means they had to expand and hire people...they did so well that the govt abandon their lines and started using the networks the companies owned..but I am sure you people knew that..

I wouldn't be surprised if someone said the govt invented the the home computer....that typically follows the usual talking points..

Last edited by EricGold; 06-13-2011 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,858,878 times
The government has its place, but you can't pull out NASA and one or two other points without acknowledging the thousands of other government agencies that have produced nothing.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,906,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
DARPA (brought us the Internet so those of you who are loudmouthed Democrat bashers just for us being Democrat can actually be heard, among other innovations that get licensed to private companies, ask any soldiers with advanced robotic prostheses)
NASA (arguably one of the most innovative government organizations in history)
Don't forget the NSA, NRO, and other intelligence entities, decoding and finding terrorists and other enemies since the 1950s.
the GI Bill (go to war or serve in the military, go to college, sounds great to me)
Federal Highway Administration (cuz you know, you country folk need highways to live)

I could go on but I guess small minds will never be convinced.
let's look at government statistics that the small minds have absorbed:

Bill Buckler's latest Buckaneer report does a 10,000 foot quantification of the one most critical, yet underreported, trend in America's transformation from past to future: its gradual, and ever faster, conversion into a totalitarian, centrally-planned state. "Today, the US government “GOVERNS” 310 million people with an annual budget of nearly $4,000 Billion and a TOTAL (funded and unfunded) debt approaching $US 100,000 Billion. It takes about 5400 times as many Dollars and about 37000 times more debt to “govern” about 3.35 times as many people as it did a century ago. Why? The answer is equally simple. Today, the US government “governs” everything. It is all pervasive. It has taken over the economy from its people."

there may be a need for government to enforce the laws(which frankly, they haven't been doing such a good job with lately), but there certainly is no need for a government this size.

for the record on NASA-they falsified data so i don't know how productive they have been as an organization. it seems like they have become another political arm of whatever party is in charge now.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,353,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Your very long response said nothing about debt. Government Firsters like yourself ALWAYS tout the dinner but forget about the bill.

Your implication that businesses never go out on a limb until the government does it first is ridiculous.

A government forces its citizenry to cough up money for wasteful programs or else face jail time.

This gives the bureaucrats the freedom to fund pointless and useless projects that just wastes BILLIONS of dollars. That ONE project was fruitful 42 years ago gives those addicted to government bragging rights is also ridiculous. Again...look at the debt.

One chief reason that America is on the way down so fast is because people look to bureaucrats in Washington to solve massive problems...even though it is those same brainiacs that CAUSED these problems in the first place.

Government Innovation is an oxymoron.

*points to the TRILLIONS in wealth that innovation that started in government and then patents almost freely given to corporations and private enterprise to license in lieu of long winded discussion... does not take long to point out anything that somehow was influenced by government research*

Have a nice day living in your deluded and wonderful world

Oh, and I know businesses take risks. For sure they have to.

But what right minded corporation is researching ways to make cellular mitosis more efficient? What company is researching ways to change the very nature of our metabolisms so people don't need to eat more than once a week? LMFAO get outta here.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:46 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
*points to the TRILLIONS in wealth that innovation that started in government and then patents almost freely given to corporations and private enterprise to license in lieu of long winded discussion... does not take long to point out anything that somehow was influenced by government research*

Have a nice day living in your deluded and wonderful world

Oh, and I know businesses take risks. For sure they have to.

But what right minded corporation is researching ways to make cellular mitosis more efficient? What company is researching ways to change the very nature of our metabolisms so people don't need to eat more than once a week? LMFAO get outta here.
Home*-*HGS

-and-

Cell Therapeutics (CTI) Cancer Therapies and Cancer Drug Development Home Page - Cell Therapeutics, Inc.

Anyone who thinks the government is where innovation is born is not living in the real world.

I and most of the other posters on this thread are not the deluded ones, my friend.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,177,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
More government equals less freedom.

[but as long as people insist on telling people what to do, there will always be government]
Yes! So they need the government to legislate laws to make sure everyone does as told, and government agencies to enforce the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies