Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

I have not been a fan of Palin, when I have seen her speak in public she came off as snarky, condescending and a person of shallow intellect. However, after reading some of these emails that were released, I need to give her a serious second look.

Her written communication skills are quite good, and this surprised me. these emails seem to counter her public speaking skills, which seem to be quite lacking. People have made the same comments concerning both Bush and al Gore. They've said both men are very articulate in personal conversations, but when they get behind the microphone they come off contrived and.... well.... goofy.

I see leadership taking place in these emails, as she is executing her role as Governor. Palin comes off as politically non-partisan, an empathic, deep thinker, an a confident multi-tasker on multiple issues, while making intelligent and informed decisions.

I will have to give Palin more consideration if she runs for POTUS.

Quote:
This one deals with transparency regarding AGIA negotiations.
http://palinemail.msnbc.msn.com/palinAll/pdf/10234.pdf
So that everyone is clear and we’re consistent , despite what some of the press is saying and already criticizing us for , I WILL release the number and name of applicants tonight, and will always err on the side of MORE transparency, not less, when dealing with applicants and proposals and the public ‘ s expectations that they’ll be privy to all AGIA info (unlike murkowski ‘ s tactic).
Quote:
Constitutional principles:
http://www.crivellawest.net/palinAll/pdf/17982.pdf

Hi Talis: a reporter pointed out to me today at least three line items in the capital budget that sound “illegal” (he even cited chapter and verse of state law) because they deal with funding religious organizations/projects – sounds like Meyer plugged them into budget, incl a Christian school’s request. I told KTUU that Law will look at items before i would ever sign off – and that if they do in fact violate constitution I will veto the items.
Quote:
On AGIA – Tuesday, April 29, 2008:
http://www.crivellawest.net/palin2011/pdf/14515.pdf
Palin: if Big Oil is just blowing smoke then the Owner State needs to find a way to just do this ourselves. Ideally TC and Denali would get it together, and get together, and get this built. But if this go ’round is just more of the same rhetoric (and quasi-threats), then there’s got to be a way to tap our resources and build our line ourselves.
Quote:
On AGIA negotiations – Friday, November 30, 2007:
http://palinemail.msnbc.msn.com/palinAll/pdf/10234.pdf
So that everyone is clear and we’re consistent , despite what some of the press is saying and already criticizing us for , I WILL release the number and name of applicants tonight, and will always err on the side of MORE transparency, not less, when dealing with applicants and proposals and the public ‘ s expectations that they’ll be privy to all AGIA info (unlike murkowski ‘ s tactic).
Quote:
On cancelling the Bridge to Nowhere:
July 17, 2007: http://www.crivellawest.net/palin2011/pdf/6256.pdf

“We cant afford it, the Feds won’t pay for it, the general populace isn’t placing it as a high priority…can you diplomatically express that?! Of course we want infrastructure – and this is NOT a “bridge to nowhere” (that is so offensive), but as it stands today with the highest-cost bridge design selected by the Ketchikan community, we need to find a lower-cost alternative is a bridge will be built.”

August 2, 2007:
http://www.crivellawest.net/palin2011/pdf/6415.pdf

“So ironic – I told Leo, Tibbles, etc just yesterday that we MUST come out with a strong position against AK’s perceived “Bridge to Nowhere” so we quit looking clueless and selfish across the nation and can clear up the perception that the Gravina project is the state’s priority. The $350m bridge is not our priority. The nation needs to be spending $ on fixing what we have – Minnesota needs “bridge money” today more than we need a few Alaskans to perpetuate the nonsensicle notion that our Gravina earmark is more important than fixing aged infrastructure. We would gain so much if we get that message out there – that the nation can pull, and work, together and make wise decisions on federal priorities … we should see that earmark redirected to Minnesota’s tragedy bc [because] the Gravina bridge isn’t going to happen on our watch anyway.”

August 2, 2007:
http://www.crivellawest.net/palin2011/pdf/6414.pdf

“Truly this could provide an opportunity for Congress to start discussing the nation’s priorities… call me naive, but AK could/should lead in this discussion on public dollars paying for intrastucture improvements across the nation. Why CAN’T we offer to return the “B2N” earmark bc [because] the state can’t afford the project, and the feds won’t be paying for it – the grandious $350m bridge NOT going to happen on our watch.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Why do you believe she actually wrote these e-mails? Anyone, like her husband, could have been sitting at the keyboard.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why do you believe she actually wrote these e-mails? Anyone, like her husband, could have been sitting at the keyboard.
Why do you say that? Because Obama and the Dems didn't actually write any of their stuff either so you think everyone is doing what the Left does?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
There are those who will never be open to her. I'm not a big fan either but I'm keeping an open mind.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Why do you say that? Because Obama and the Dems didn't actually write any of their stuff either so you think everyone is doing what the Left does?
Play dodgeball all you like, but fact remains that we don't know if these are her own words.....

Professional athletes sound intelligent and well-spoken too when you read their public apologies....

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There are those who will never be open to her. I'm not a big fan either but I'm keeping an open mind.
She goes away and lives her life? She'll garner all the respect in the world from me as you truly can't be a complete idiot and get where she's gotten.

But if she keeps showing up on Fox News and criticizing people about things that she shows a rudimentary understanding of at best and continues to have aspirations toward national politics? I'm going to scrutizine her BIG time... She's proven she is not ready and I doubt she ever will be...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
I actually heard her speak when she was campaigning and she did NOT use a teleprompter and was very articulate unlike our current leader who can't state a thought when the prompter has a glitch. Just wish she didn't have that folksy sing songy voice. She needs to stay in the back ground and be part of the team not lead one. Not opposed to seeing her help with getting the country out of the current mess sooner than later!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
That's a really cool site! Thanks for the link!

-----Original Message-----
Sent : Monday, August 04, 2008 8:15 AM
To: Leighow , Sharon W (GOV ); Hughes, Rosanne D (GOV ); Balash, Joseph R
(GOV)
Subject: Obama
He gave a great speech this morn in Michigan - mentioned Alaska. Stole
out Energy Rebate $1000 check idea, stole our TC-Alaska gasline talking
points, etc. So.... we need to take advantage of this a write a
statement saying he's right on. (Glad he.' s flipflopping on OCS, too.)
Joe- could you help crank this quick statement out as our "reaction" to
some of Obama's good points this morning?

Politics. It's a nasty game.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Play dodgeball all you like, but fact remains that we don't know if these are her own words.....

Professional athletes sound intelligent and well-spoken too when you read their public apologies....
Yeah ok......

Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

How do we know you really wrote this snarky message of yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies