Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times

Advertisements

Although, a portion of that 10% may fall under that category you stated, there is a percentage of that 10% that were making 70K a year (just to throw out a figure) and they have homes and bills they can't get out of. Working fast food won't bring in the pay needed, whereas unemployment will give them approx. 60% of what they were making. Taking manual labor jobs aren't an option for some. If they did, they would still lose everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Heck yeah. Anyone who becomes unemployed for any reason, even if their company is run straight into the a smoking crater by an insane CEO (*cough* Enron) during a major unemployment crisis, should be instantly ostracized from society. There they will receive no government program subsidies till they finally expire and plague societies pocketbook no longer.

/snark

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why bother working for minimum wage when you can get better freebies from the government for sitting on your duff.

Such as?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Such as?
I'm not in the welfare loop, so I don't know of all the perks, but some are housing vouchers (section 8), welfare checks, 99 weeks of unemployment compensation, food stamps, WIC, free breakfasts and lunches (and sometimes dinners too) for your school-aged kids, cell phones, assistance paying utility bills, and free medical care (Medicaid).

You really had no idea about all of these programs??

Old 06-15-2011, 01:56 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Putting food on your table? A roof over your head?

Where's your reasoning that I should pay for you to not work? It's not free money.

We need to end this 99 weeks of unemployment crap. When your choice is nothing and a job that pays your bills, you'll get a job. Or two.

Most min wage jobs do not pay enough for food or a roof over you head? You do realize this though that this is the problem why work when all your work gets you is a place to live on the street? Why should people have to get two jobs to live on? Is it okay to work your self to the bone where you have no time for family and have a high risk of illness from lack of time off?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
...is UNemployable? You see, there is a large segment of the population that can't find a job because they refuse to do manual labor such as farm work or even picking up garbage. Oh and fast food is off the table. So immigrants, legal or illegal have taken up the slack. Don't blame them...someone has to do it. Therefore, all the people who used to do those jobs are now unemployable because they are holding out for something better. Something they are not qualified for. We will ALWAYS have an 8-10% unemployment rate. 9% is the new 5%.
No. I don't think they're unemployable.

The reason why I believe this is because a very dear friend of mine was unemployed for 18 months. She pounded the pavement and went on many many job interviews until she landed another job. When she interviewed if anyone could have been a fly on the wall to see how that process went you'd have blog material for years. Oh, the stories she would tell. Many wanted her to jump through hoops, many thought she should be a shapeshifter, all of them thought she should be grateful to have been selected to even have an interview. Not to mention all of the potential employers who whittled down their pool to a select few (of which she was included) and then basically have that carrot dangled in front of your nose, only to be told... "Sorry, we've gone with someone else".

No, honestly I think the job market has changed considerably since the economic downturn. It's far more competitive, employers are extremely selective because they have a huge pool to draw from.

I can't fault the unemployed for being out of work. I wouldn't label them as unemployable.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Then what percentage of the population would you consider unemployable then? 2%? Maybe 3-4%?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,046 times
Why does it matter, with an a natural unemployment rate above zero percent?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
1) What exactly is "unemployable"? Don't you understand that it has a dynamic definition, that changes daily? Some people were very employable yesterday, yet today they are considered unemployable. How can YOU be sure that YOU will not be unemployable tomorrow? Yesterday, handicapped people were unemployable. Today however, many disabled people work. What changed? Technology, but even more importantly, general's public conception.
2) There is another point however, that tells a different story: why is unemployment so high among recent collage graduates? That tells us that something else is at play in the current economy, beyond people having no skills and refusing to work manual labor.
3) Real unemployment rate is much higher than 10%. That figure includes only people who collect unemployment and register. Do you know how many don't register anywhere and only work seasonable or daily jobs, yet for the most part are de-facto unemployed?

Last edited by oberon_1; 06-15-2011 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
How can YOU be sure that YOU will not be unemployable tomorrow?
I don't, but I will take my chances, seeing as I won't be stealing any mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies