Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times

Advertisements

"Americans are finally getting some relief from high gas and food prices.
Wholesale food prices fell last month by the most in nearly a year, and gas prices keep dropping after peaking in May. A separate survey suggests CEOs are feeling more optimistic and will hire more in the second half of this year.
It amounted to welcome news Tuesday after a rough patch that has stoked worries the economic recovery is slowing. More jobs and lower prices would both give Americans more money to spend on other things and rejuvenate economic growth."

Reports bode well for food, gas prices, and jobs - Business - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

Great news..I wonder what the GOP candidates will say if the economy picks up again..I think they've sold their lot on hoping we fall into a collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Americans are finally getting some relief from high gas and food prices.
Wholesale food prices fell last month by the most in nearly a year, and gas prices keep dropping after peaking in May. A separate survey suggests CEOs are feeling more optimistic and will hire more in the second half of this year.
It amounted to welcome news Tuesday after a rough patch that has stoked worries the economic recovery is slowing. More jobs and lower prices would both give Americans more money to spend on other things and rejuvenate economic growth."

Reports bode well for food, gas prices, and jobs - Business - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

Great news..I wonder what the GOP candidates will say if the economy picks up again..I think they've sold their lot on hoping we fall into a collapse.
That's good news. I read the survey today about CEO's saying hiring will pick up in the second half of this year. Gas prices have dropped about .40 here, which I'm thankful for.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
As long as some idiots (democrat and Republican parties) continue to insist on subsidizing ethanol prices will stay high.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM

7,927 posts, read 9,150,257 times
This article, as most economic articles, gives one enough information that you basically get one paragraph of good news followed by the next paragraph telling you why that previously mentioned good news really wasn't that good after all.

From the link:
ManpowerGroup, one of the nation's largest staffing companies, said the proportion of businesses that plan to hire in the next three months is higher than at any time since the end of 2008, during the recession.

Melanie Holmes, vice president at ManpowerGroup, said the company's employment outlook is still at only about half the level associated with a healthy economy

So is the glass half full or half empty? Guess it depends if you are a D or a R

Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
This article, as most economic articles, gives one enough information that you basically get one paragraph of good news followed by the next paragraph telling you why that previously mentioned good news really wasn't that good after all.

From the link:
ManpowerGroup, one of the nation's largest staffing companies, said the proportion of businesses that plan to hire in the next three months is higher than at any time since the end of 2008, during the recession.

Melanie Holmes, vice president at ManpowerGroup, said the company's employment outlook is still at only about half the level associated with a healthy economy

So is the glass half full or half empty? Guess it depends if you are a D or a R
Actually not, if read the ENTIRE ARTICLE, the news is quite positive. Some news outlets actually give context to thier articles. It has nothing to do with politics.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Isn't it great how they jack gas up $1, then roll it back 50 cents so we think we're getting a bargain?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Actually not, if read the ENTIRE ARTICLE, the news is quite positive. Some news outlets actually give context to thier articles. It has nothing to do with politics.
I can go back two years and find these smiley face headlines about the economy. The text rarely match the headlines and the reality never approched the optimism. It has nothing to do with politics for me.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Isn't it great how they jack gas up $1, then roll it back 50 cents so we think we're getting a bargain?
When gas gets back down to $1.60/gal. I will celebrate.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Yeah, they took a product that really shouldn't cost more than a Dollar, jacked it up to around four Dollars and then held the price there just long enough to make three Dollars seem like a deal......

Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 AM

45,220 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
When gas gets back down to $1.60/gal. I will celebrate.
I'll celebrate when a dollar is worth a dollar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies