Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Who cares what the House does when the Senate will strike it down and with large Democratic support... they aren't going to let the Democratic party falter... viewpoint is valid... regardless of whether it was bipartisan in the house or not... just because it passed the house doesn't mean crap cause it has to be passed in the senate... you can say WHATEVER you want in the house and know that it will be defeated in the senate makes the whole thing pointless... They will either defeat it or Obama will say whatever (better late than never but that will set a bad precedent and allow future presidents to do the same thing)... what is the point of a failed bipartisan bill? nothing...
Maybe it is just me that finds this interesting. Why did neither party support such an important bill. Where was the Republican Party leadership at to support a clearly anti-Obama bill? They were absent, but the Republicans voted for it anyway. Where was the Democratic parties leadership complaining about the bill that was clearly Anti-Obama. Again, absent.

The bill will not fail. WHat is likely to occur is that Obama will go down to congress and ask for funding and the congress will acquiese; however, it will give them a chance to put conditions on the expenditures, which is a good thing. But this is news. In a toxic us vs. them legislature, a bipartisan bill on Foriegn war powers against the president of the U.S. is a very big deal. I am surprised with the responses. I guess it is not as exciting as my team is better than your team responses that we normally get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I'm willing to bet had Bush broke the war powers act you would have been howling at the moon drinking kool aid while crying for impeachment.
All this guy has to do is go to congress and they'll vote to support it. Why won't he? The arrogance of this man is appalling. How dare the congress ask me to consult with them. The democrats let him run over them the last two years so he's seeing how much he can get away with while the house is in the hands of the other guys I guess.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Surely the voices of the anti-war protestors filling the streets of America will cry out for Obama to end the wars and bring the troops home!

Any day now...........

Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
It will get defeated in the Senate... moot point... the Dems can't let Obama get slapped in the face... it would make them appear weak to the public... they rather do the wrong thing then do the right thing for their own political ambitions..
So for the Dems party overrides the interest of the country. Good to know.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Surely the voices of the anti-war protestors filling the streets of America will cry out for Obama to end the wars and bring the troops home!

Any day now...........
I think they're still busy looking through Palin's emails.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Maybe it is just me that finds this interesting. Why did neither party support such an important bill. Where was the Republican Party leadership at to support a clearly anti-Obama bill? They were absent, but the Republicans voted for it anyway. Where was the Democratic parties leadership complaining about the bill that was clearly Anti-Obama. Again, absent.

The bill will not fail. WHat is likely to occur is that Obama will go down to congress and ask for funding and the congress will acquiese; however, it will give them a chance to put conditions on the expenditures, which is a good thing. But this is news. In a toxic us vs. them legislature, a bipartisan bill on Foriegn war powers against the president of the U.S. is a very big deal. I am surprised with the responses. I guess it is not as exciting as my team is better than your team responses that we normally get.
What really interests me is... where is the UN? What's the point of the UN when we give them most of the money and end up doing most of their work... this has been done time and time again... why are we still part of the UN if the UN doesn't do anything significant... its like we have to bribe them just to work...

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
All this guy has to do is go to congress and they'll vote to support it. Why won't he? The arrogance of this man is appalling. How dare the congress ask me to consult with them. The democrats let him run over them the last two years so he's seeing how much he can get away with while the house is in the hands of the other guys I guess.
He only cares about the law when the law aids his cause. He thinks he is better than the war powers act. His policies and actions have displayed is complete disregard for US law and a blatant hate for thsi country

Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post

Way to stay on this.

My reading of the War Powers Act says Congress must approve or there is no military activity. So unless both Houses approve this, Libya should be done.

But what happens is a divided house means the president can do what he wants - which isn't right - unless the public has a fit and he gives in to the pressure.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't think some people read the posts here. Some people are so blinded by how much they hate the "other party". The Democrats in the house by a majority vote, voted to defund the President's ability to carry out the war in Libya. 93 of Republicans in the house voted not to Defund, although a majority voted with the democrats.

I agree that he has exceeded the bounds of the president by not getting approval within 60 days. The congress did what they were supposed to do. The point I am making is give the house some credit for doing the right thing here. Obama is wrong as well as the Republican and Democrat leadership in the house are wrong. The rank and file of the house got it right. I think that is newsworthy.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
You have not proved incompetence... so no you cannot impeach him...

Impeachment does not require proof. The trial following impeachment is where proof is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies