Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So, according to your own words, the overwhelming majority of people who disagree with homosexuality are homophobes with SERIOUS PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS? Right. And having the belief that marriage is a partnering between a man and a woman qualifies a person as having a SERIOUS PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDER? I think not.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but essentially yes. I consider irrational hatreds (like racism and homophobia) to be disorders - no matter how many people they afflict.

If you believe that people who are simply different than you - be they homosexuals or heterosexuals or women or men or blacks or whites or Jews or Muslims or the left-handed or midgets - should be treated differently under the law, that they should have fewer civil rights than you, that your difference somehow makes you so much more special and superior that you deserve rights that should be denied to others, then you have issues.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How can something prevalent in nature be "unnatural"? Do you know what unnatural means?
So now you're going to argue that anything in nature is "natural" and should be allowed? So you're pro-cannibalism? Pro-rape? Pro-murder?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh God. I've answered this question like a billion times.

It's possible to disagree with somebody's homosexuality (whatever that means) or to feel that homosexuality is wrong or unnatural without being homophobic. It's rare, but it's possible.

It becomes homophobia when your fear of homosexuality leads you down the road of repressing homosexuals. If you believe sodomy should be illegal - you're a homophobe. If you think gays should have certain civil rights taken away (like the rights of civil marriage, the right to serve in the military, etc) - you're a homophobe.

I disagree with Christianity (religion in general). However, I'm not a christianaphobe. I don't call for making sex between Christians illegal. I don't call for banning Christians from contracting civil marriages or serving in the military. See the difference?
Yes, the difference is that you label others what you are not willing to label yourself.

A phobia is a fear. Utter distgust with a specific sexual behavior is not a phobia. See the difference?

Homosexuals are not denied the opportunity to marry a person of the opposite sex. Marriage is exceptionally equal to all in this manner. None of us is guaranteed the right or ability to marry the person of our choosing.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Isn't that the entire point of religion? To tell people what is morally right and what is morally wrong?

I agree that to do so is wrong.
No. At least not Christianity. Christianity is about the fact that we are all wretched sinners and deserve hell as punishment for our sins, but Christ died to pay the penalty instead, so that we can go to Heaven to be with him if we trust in Christ as our sacrifice.

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but essentially yes. I consider irrational hatreds (like racism and homophobia) to be disorders - no matter how many people they afflict.
What about people who consider homosexuality to be a disorder? I support gay rights, gay marriage, gay adoption, gay whatever the F you want to do but I do consider it to be a mental disorder. I don't buy into the "choose to be gay" BS, I think people are born with the disorder of homosexuality just like they're born and live somewhat normal lives with mental disorders.

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
The more I think about this, the more I question it. Please, show me the medical definition of homophobia that qualifies a person as a homophobe for believing that traditional marriage is between a man and a woman.
Believing tradition marriage is between a man and woman doesn't make you a homophobe, it merely makes you completely ignorant of the history of "traditional marriage". Marriage is neither a religious institution, nor did it usually include one woman, let alone an equal partnership. Your concept of "Traditional marriage" is actually quite modern.

However, if your views of marriage deem you to vote or push to deny homosexuals the right to marry in a secular society, then you are discriminating against homosexuals, which is included in the definition of homophobia.

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So now you're going to argue that anything in nature is "natural" and should be allowed? So you're pro-cannibalism? Pro-rape? Pro-murder?
Anything that does no harm to another individual should be allowed.

Rape does not fall into that category

Murder does not fall into that category

Having sex with someone of the same sex falls into that category.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
The more I think about this, the more I question it. Please, show me the medical definition of homophobia that qualifies a person as a homophobe for believing that traditional marriage is between a man and a woman.
I could care less what anybody thinks a particular religious or traditional marriage should be. Just don't impose that on the rest of us by restricting civil marriage contracts to your strict personal belief. I just don't get the need of some people to say: "In my Church and personal belief system, marriage is between a man and a women, therefore we should take 1400 civil rights away from homosexuals."

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Anything that does no harm to another individual should be allowed.

Rape does not fall into that category

Murder does not fall into that category

Having sex with someone of the same sex falls into that category.
[/quote]
How did you come about that standard? Why are you the one to make up the standard? How do we determine "hurt"?

Are you willing to apply the same standard to things such as abortion?
[quote]

Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Did I say that? The poster in question said they find it "unnatural". They said nothing about it being immoral. Homosexuality is natural by definition, as it's found in nature. Whether it's moral or not was not the question I was addressing.

Non-human animals can't murder either FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.