Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Examples of said "Media Conditioning"?

Ever heard of the "magical negro" archetype? In cinema it's when an otherwise ordinary black character with a "special power" is used as a plot device to help the white character reach an epiphany or some other form of introspection or insight. Usually the black character is introduced in a way where the white character snubs them or treats them as servile until the "magical negro" proves he's not the "average" negro that they thought he/she was. These movies usually (though not always) end with the magical negro sacrificing himself/herself for the white character. Examples of this archetype include "Green Mile" and "Bruce Almighty".

While on the surface this appears to put the black character in a positive light, it's another way of maintaining the status quo; for one thing, it requires the audience to be in agreement with the protagonist that the "magical negro" would otherwise be a "typical" servile black person if he didn't have a special power. For another, the black character's only purpose seems to be as a plot device; the black character only appears when the white character needs him/her (much like a servant) and the motives of the magical negro are never stated.

There's far more overt examples of racial conditioning in cinema - especially in older movies - but this one is one of the more prevalent in modern cinema.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
[quote=momonkey;19640119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

In fact, the question was "What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition?" not "What do you think white people can realistically do to improve black people's family structure and overall economic/social condition?"

I saw that question.

1) "What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition??

Your response to this question seems very disingenuous. If you went to a young drug dealer, or a black single parent mom, or a black deadbeat dad and said, "Stop blaming white people for your problems." They would likely reply, "What the f**k are you talking about?!" Contrary to what you may believe, many black people just don't dwell on slavery. Ask a few of your black friends and associates...

I saw these other questions as well...

2) "In your opinions, how much of a role to you think American slavery plays (or has played) in the condition of poor or underachieving African-Americans today?"

Couldn't answer this one, huh?

3) "In others words, how much of the negative conditions/issues that Blacks face can be attributed to individual personal decisions, and how much can be attributed to the lingering affects of slavery, Jim Crow, welfare, etc."

Or this one?

My answer was a direct answer to the first question.

"When in the original post did I say anything about blaming white people?"

In questions two and three.

Is there another race which might be blamed for "slavery" and "Jim Crow" laws?

I'm asking about the repercussions of several historical events, not making proclamation and indictments about racial groups. I wonder why you are so defensive?

To put it in prospective, if you ran track, and the other runners got a (300 year) head-start, would you run the race thinking, "Damn the ref for giving them a head-start", or would you think, "How can I catch up and compete in this race despite the other team's head-start." My question is clearly posed like the latter. It is not like black people had a fair shake in this country from the 1600's to the 1960's, and don't you think that it would be irresponsible to pretend that they did. Are you saying that slavery and Jim Crow have NO EFFECT AT ALL on black people today? Is that your point? Because if they had any effect at all, then I think that it is worth discussing. The forum is called "Politics and Other Controversies". I'm just asking a diverse cross-section of public internet forum commentators how much of these facts of American History effect today's African-Americans and what they think blacks can do to win in spite of these setbacks.

To put it another way, If Blacks were given full, equal rights and not shunned because of a racist mainstream mentality as soon as slavery ended in 1865, do you think today's Black Americans would be in the exact same situations they are in today? Further, if slavery existed, but black people were not beaten, mutilated, raped, terrorized, tortured, and bred like animals, but rather worked under humane conditions, or even paid a pittance, that would have no effect on the progress of today's Black Americans? What if they got to participate in the Homestead Act of 1862? I'm discussing cause and effect regarding real events. You are the only one taking it as personal indictment of your race... I wonder why...

"How many black people do you know that sit around blaming white people for their problems?"

Apparently enough to make it the subject of your thread.

My recent comments are in blue...

If you really want to know what slavery was like and its perception at the time, check out the following link:

Goodbye Uncle Tom

WARNING: It is quite graphic and is often disturbing. But all the events are based on true accounts from slaveholders themselves and "scholars" of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not the same idea at all. I grew up with a lot of Jewish friends. Their families didn't say to forget or ignore. But they and the friends I've had in adulthood did not walk around thinking of*themselves* as victums. Maybe relatives or family but they didn't approach life with a victum mentality.

If its claimed that as slavery was practiced, and racism, then those were NOT slaves and those who have grown up since it went out of vogue to have seperate waiting rooms for the bus should see themselves as victums then you have the *seed* of the problem. People decided if they are victums and when they decide they won't be things change.

Victums are voluntary beyond the first generation.
I understand your point. I do think that many young blacks unnecessarily view themselves as victims. But I don't think that it's necessarily a racial thing. I've known students to distrust authority regardless of race. Many distrust blacks more so than whites. They think, "These teachers are trying to fail us" or "The cops locked up my brother just because he 'fit the description'." This makes the kids hate cops, etc. This is the mentally we are trying to break...

But one may also note that while many countries and groups have been colonized and oppressed by European powers, Black Americans are one of the only colonized groups that had been taken from their homeland and forced to stay with their oppressors for generations. This is why I think America has so much underlying racial tension. Most colonizers have left Africa, the Caribbean, and South America leaving the countries to deal with the aftermath within their own homeland. But it is only in America that the decedents of the slaves have had to live peacefully with the decedents of the oppressors (for the most part). The irony is that both groups have been in the country for around the same amount of time and both have a claim or ownership in this country.

I wonder how well the Jews would have fared had they continued to live in German controlled countries after WW2 up until this very day. After all, Nazi sentiment didn't die with Hitler. It would likely be a slow cooling of inflammatory thought... sort of like here in America. But then again, we have mastered the art of using the media to promote negative stereotypes and prejudiced ideologies.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
how many blacks in this country can trace thier ancestry to slavery with all our immigration from black countries? many cannot but eat the bait.
I think far more Black Americans are related to White Americans than Africans. Of course this is partially due to slavery as well...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Examples of said "Media Conditioning"?
Also check out the movies Network and Bamboozled. I'm sure you can get them on Netflix or something.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Listen to black talk radio and you'll see the problem.

One man called in and stated "We (blacks) represent 70% of the prison population, but only represent 12% of the general population. What does that tell you? It tells me that we're not real good at crime! We should start trying to lift ourselves, rather than kill ourselves."

I thought that was hilarious!

You'll see, by listening, that the black community feels that they cannot do anything without the federal, state and local governments help.

Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!

Much of the conversation about race espeically from Conservatives is driven by misinformation, stereotypes, false information, and outright lies.

Yes Black Americans represent of disporportion segment of the prision populaiton but it's nowhere near 70%.

Incarceration In The United States

Quote:
According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) non-Hispanic blacks accounted for 39.4% of the total prison and jail population in 2009.[37] According to the 2010 census of the US Census Bureau blacks (including Hispanic blacks) comprised 12.6% of the US population.[38][39][40]

Hispanics (of all races) were 20.6% of the total jail and prison population in 2009.[37]. Hispanics comprised 16.3% of the US population according to the 2010 US census.[38]

In 2009 black non-Hispanic males were incarcerated at the rate of 4,749 inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents of the same race and gender. White males were incarcerated at the rate of 708 inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents. Hispanic males were incarcerated at the rate of 1,822 inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents.[37][41] For female rates see the table to the right.
Why don't just come out and say YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE? It's clearly evident in everything that you post in relation to race.

It's also why YOU ARE A CONSERVATIVE. Historically Conservatives have supported policies that have disenfranchised and disempowered non-White Americans.

The era were your beliefs and policies are politically popular or revelant are coming to a close. Hatred, fear ignorance and bigotry are going to send the American Conservative Movement in its present form to the dust bin of history.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-23-2011 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Ever heard of the "magical negro" archetype? In cinema it's when an otherwise ordinary black character with a "special power" is used as a plot device to help the white character reach an epiphany or some other form of introspection or insight. Usually the black character is introduced in a way where the white character snubs them or treats them as servile until the "magical negro" proves he's not the "average" negro that they thought he/she was. These movies usually (though not always) end with the magical negro sacrificing himself/herself for the white character. Examples of this archetype include "Green Mile" and "Bruce Almighty".

While on the surface this appears to put the black character in a positive light, it's another way of maintaining the status quo; for one thing, it requires the audience to be in agreement with the protagonist that the "magical negro" would otherwise be a "typical" servile black person if he didn't have a special power. For another, the black character's only purpose seems to be as a plot device; the black character only appears when the white character needs him/her (much like a servant) and the motives of the magical negro are never stated.

There's far more overt examples of racial conditioning in cinema - especially in older movies - but this one is one of the more prevalent in modern cinema.
My personal experience tells me that I never looked that deep into the given movies & I have my doubts that many people do look that deep, but I could be wrong. I can honestly say I never took the blacks in these movies to be "magical negroes" but I can see your point. I never took that message away from those movies however.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Much of the conversation about race espeically from Conservatives is driven by misinformation, stereotypes, false information, and outright lies.

Yes Black Americans represent of disporportion segment of the prision populaiton but it's nowhere near 70%.

Incarceration In The United States

Why don't just come out and say YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE? It's clearly evident in everything that you post in relation to race.

It's also why YOU ARE A CONSERVATIVE. Historically Conservatives have supported policies that have disenfranchised and disempowered non-White Americans.

The era were your beliefs and policies are politically popular or revelant are coming to a close. Hatred, fear ignorance and bigotry are going to send the American Conservative Movement in its present form to the dust bin of history.
Not sure that you can be truly "Conservative" and support "Disenfranchising and disempowering" policies....

If this "American Conservative Movement" is going to go in the dust bin of history, may I ask what is going to replace it? Just curious.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-23-2011 at 04:19 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Also check out the movies Network and Bamboozled. I'm sure you can get them on Netflix or something.
Unfortunately, way out here in the sticks I don't have Netflix. But I will keep those movies in mind for future reference.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Slavery--->Jim Crow--->400 years of an inability to gain wealth--->Current financial problems and lack
| of capital to fix schools, etc.
|
V
A continued belief that Blacks are inherently dumber, lazier, etc.
|
|
V
Unfair hiring practices and lowered wages for same work.---> Increased crime due to
economic disparities.
Crime for profit.

The root cause is slavery. While it does not account for everything, current attitudes date further back than many like to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies