Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't think they would have to work harder. Just work hard. How come blacks from Africa can come here and fly right past African Americans? Why can they come here and be doctors and hold other high paying positions without having to work harder than everyone else?
In many cases most Africans that immigrate to America come from middle class or wealthy families in their home country. Also in many cases their educations are financed and paid for.

Also there is a fundamental diffference in coming from a country where the people of your culture are the majority and hold the majority of the political and economic power. As opposed to living in a country were you are a minority and you have been historically discriminated against and economically and politically disenfranchised.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As I have stated in an earlier post.

Blacks do themselves a disservice by naming their children the names that they do.

I just had a very nice, professional, friendly clerk at Target.

She was a black girl named Ashley.

I'm sure that she will have a bright future!
Why should a person be discriminated against simply because of their name?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
In all honesty the causation of African American poverty is far less important than figuring out how to change the trajectory.

The simple fact is blacks in America have suffered. They suffered for 400+ years of slavery, then they have suffered since from racism, backlash in the south from reconstruction, and the poverty those things created.

There have also been well intentioned inputs that have led to further institutionalization of poverty in the AA community centering around welfare.

The answer however, has to come from Black Academia and black political and cultural leaders. They will have to stop looking for someone to blame and start demanding excellence. Once that happens, African Americans will escape the vicious cycle that trapped them.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:08 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Self-inflicted...

Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
I'm black and I will say this honestly. Most Blacks are LAZY. Instead of work hard or getting an education they would rather make money the easy way and sell drugs. We have a culture that celebrates criminal activity and drug dealers. It starts at an early age where a young man will see nothing but drug dealers and criminals become the pseudo like alpha males of their communities. Their mom was chasing after the drug dealer or was a drug dealer herself. There are so many problems in the community and it all stems from LAZINESS.

But I'm not going to waste my time or energy discussing it in any further. Black people as a whole are a legit loss cost when it comes to racial independence. Few Blacks "get it" and do well but most are cognac sipping, weed blowing, welfare living, 3 kids by 3 different women, bobbing head, 3 different baby father having, poorly educated, roach infested apartment, sitting on the porch all day, playing the lottery everyday, drug dealing, felony having, Can't tell me nothing mindset, typical, everyday, Mediocre income, Black "folk."

Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
In all honesty the causation of African American poverty is far less important than figuring out how to change the trajectory.

The simple fact is blacks in America have suffered. They suffered for 400+ years of slavery, then they have suffered since from racism, backlash in the south from reconstruction, and the poverty those things created.

There have also been well intentioned inputs that have led to further institutionalization of poverty in the AA community centering around welfare.

The answer however, has to come from Black Academia and black political and cultural leaders. They will have to stop looking for someone to blame and start demanding excellence. Once that happens, African Americans will escape the vicious cycle that trapped them.
Why does it have to come from a black anything? why can't black people decide from themselves or from political and cultural leaders, that don't have to be black? Or are you one of these that believe things need to stay segregated?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm black and I will say this honestly. Most Blacks are LAZY. Instead of work hard or getting an education they would rather make money the easy way and sell drugs. We have a culture that celebrates criminal activity and drug dealers. It starts at an early age where a young man will see nothing but drug dealers and criminals become the pseudo like alpha males of their communities. Their mom was chasing after the drug dealer or was a drug dealer herself. There are so many problems in the community and it all stems from LAZINESS.

But I'm not going to waste my time or energy discussing it in any further. Black people as a whole are a legit loss cost when it comes to racial independence. Few Blacks "get it" and do well but most are cognac sipping, weed blowing, welfare living, 3 kids by 3 different women, bobbing head, 3 different baby father having, poorly educated, roach infested apartment, sitting on the porch all day, playing the lottery everyday, drug dealing, felony having, Can't tell me nothing mindset, typical, everyday, Mediocre income, Black "folk."
Funny how when Blacks do get an education, they are less likely to be employed. Or when they are employed they make less than their White counterparts with the same qualifications.

So it's not only a laziness factor.

Black Africans are the most educated group in America. We're primarily suburban, middle class...yet we make less than our White counterparts (despite on the whole being more educated).

The whole drug dealer thing really results from a lack of economic structures in place in such communities. There are few jobs in those communities. The unemployment rate is sky high. Thus, in order to generate an income, you go into the informal sector. Every third world nation's economy is like that. High unemployment in the formal sector--->the rise of an informal sector. Since we have saturation of cheap Chinese wares, but a relatively free market for drugs, there becomes a need for supply. Therefore, it makes economic sense to supply drugs. If you notice, these areas had blue collar workers before, but due to the mass wholesale of our nation's industrial base, they no longer are employed.

The culture thus becomes that the most successful are drug dealers. They have the economic means that many in their communities do not have. So little boys aspire to be like them (just like little suburban boys want to be a firefighter, police officer, spy, or a doctor, high prestige jobs with a relatively decent standard of living). With the lack of economic structure in place, coupled with a lack of educational structure (the schools have high teacher turnover rates and generally pay less on pupil expenditure. It's odd since suburban schools may have a lower per pupil spending, they pay less for bureaucracy...so suburban schools have more programs). Inner city schools tend to pay more in bureaucratic fees which means the pupils see less of a direct result (lack of programs). It does not get better with time.

If they do succeed to go to college, the average income of a Black family is roughly $30,000 a year (20-30k less than the average White family). Thus, the children that make it to college are more likely working longer hours than their more affluent counterparts. Working longer hours is a the leading cause of dropping out or flunking.

Let's say that you get over the economic hurdle in college. You most likely have student loans. The average student has about $20,000 in loans. Blacks make less on average than their White counterparts (as previously mentioned)....you get the drift.

Clearly the issue is a structural problem. Many of these issues plagues Whites as well (lack of funding for higher education--->debt later in life), yet due to an unequal racist regime in the past and mediocre attempts to rectify the gap, these problems are compounded in the Black community.

This is not to say ALL Blacks are this way. My neighborhood is known for middle and upper middle income Blacks and Hispanics. My best friend growing up was Black (he was a trust fund kid)...hell I'm half Black. I don't have anything in common with Black people from Compton, except we may be the same skin tone. So there are exceptions.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
To add to your point... Remember the police and regular citizens (even women and children) who spat upon, beat, hosed, murdered, burned, and purposely disenfranchised black people throughout the Civil Rights Movement. Many of them are still alive. I wonder if they would be willing to apologize for their actions or would they still hold to their racist beliefs?
Let me think, ok, it was about 45 yrs ago I don't have the exact dates but I know it went on for a long time, so I'd say those that were in their 40's back then may be dead. Moving forward they would be in their 60-70's, now I don't know who or where they would apologize too, most likely by now they have realized how cruel they were, most likely some people like that may be in jail, I'm sure they committed some crimes to be so violent.

Anyway some may have passed on their racist beliefs to their children, but today most children grow up and are not racist, nothing like years ago.

Of course a lot of whites still hold to their racist beliefs, same as blacks hold against whites, its just hate, we can try to change them but they have had their heads up their butts forever and they aren't going to change.

I worked with a black gal from Alabama, lol, she was always giving me the evil eye, of course I'm from the northeast so what went on down there in Alabama did not happen as it did there, I guess she figured I was like the whites in Alabama this was in the 70's, anyway one day she just irked me with her evil eye, I said to her "when are you going to give up the militant attitude" she laughed , I laughed and we are best friends to this day. She told me some of the horror stories from down there.

thats all I can say, I know the slaves were treated horribly like animals (I hate to even say that but it is true).

Its no comparison by far, but most immigrants that came here in the 1870's earlier or later were treated like a bunch of animals, filthy working conditions, low pay, when they were fed soup at job places it had bugs in it, my gg aunt cleaned some persons house and the owner's wife used to hit her with some kind of stick, my family never got an apology, another side of my family back in the 20's-30's lived in shanty towns and tried to find work, they were treated as nothing people, at times if you were Irish they didn't want to hire you.
I don't know if you ever seen the movie "The Grapes of Wrath" but thats sort of like it was, but it was really worse than that.

As I mentioned they had it bad, nothing as bad as the blacks had it, but it was still inhumane to be treated like an animal.

Oh it has evolved over the years, its still there, just in a different way, just take a look at the current politics today and what's being said.

All I can say is maybe try to redirect your feelings into what's happening with this country today, we need you.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

You are saying that MOST black people are like this and that it is a lost cause? Sounds like a cop out to me... I think that even MOST white people would agree that your post is BS...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Bill Cosby said it best.

Admit you have a problem and take care of it yourself. Don't wait for someone to come in and do it for you.

There's strength in numbers and if the mom's and dad's want a safe community for their kids they need to grab the bull by the horns and start working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies