Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And those who don't understand that the last round of EPA regs caused 5 major electric producing plants to be closed or be closing down as any kind of reason for the price of electricity to go up. Why hell, they think, there are all kinds of wind farms being built and probably in 20 years they can make up for the loss. What do we do in the mean time? Surely you can find the answer to that one.
I support coal power plants, along with anything else that turns a profit. I think the emissions should be lowered to the best level economically possible, but beyond that we should leave them alone.

We haven't had any power plants close around here, so I'm not sure where you are referring to, Nebraska?

I'd like to read the reasons why the plants were closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
I had to pay THOUSANDS to completely fill in a basement with cement because it was against city regulations.

That hurt me more than any Washington policy ever has.
It would hurt like hell today with the regulations from EPA about concrete use, etc.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My family has been self employed since 1954.
So your answer is, you never have been self employed..!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
He was talking about those who bring home more than 250,000 dollars a year, not those who were using the money in their business.

Yes, they may have been clearing it, my dad clears that before they have to buy supplies, pay the bills and everything else.

Thats the difference, someone who makes 250,000 EBITDA, and those who make 250,000 after taxes and expenses.
One grain combine costs nearly that whole $250k so I guess you wouldn't allow that to be part of the business. They sell sprayers to no till farmers that cost upwards of the same amount. I don't know where all the money goes but my son who runs a repair truck gets paid about $25 and they charge the farmer around $105 per hour counting driving time. I am pretty sure that they have a hard time finding enough real expenses to hold the business back from the $250k in profit. Of course, each family member is paying his share in income taxes also. I am sure that the houses they are building are being paid for at the time or near it and they aren't too cheap.

These people are pretty shrewd and at least one of the family knows the score about the whole thing, as of now. I don't think many of the younger "managers" really know their hindends from page 9 though.

Hey, these people know how to turn a dollar. They got in on the ground floor of personal wind turbines but that is slowing down now since they have sold too many units.

You go ahead and stand up for the Great and Mighty Oz-bama and his group but I refuse to give them any ground.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One grain combine costs nearly that whole $250k so I guess you wouldn't allow that to be part of the business. They sell sprayers to no till farmers that cost upwards of the same amount. I don't know where all the money goes but my son who runs a repair truck gets paid about $25 and they charge the farmer around $105 per hour counting driving time. I am pretty sure that they have a hard time finding enough real expenses to hold the business back from the $250k in profit. Of course, each family member is paying his share in income taxes also. I am sure that the houses they are building are being paid for at the time or near it and they aren't too cheap.

These people are pretty shrewd and at least one of the family knows the score about the whole thing, as of now. I don't think many of the younger "managers" really know their hindends from page 9 though.

Hey, these people know how to turn a dollar. They got in on the ground floor of personal wind turbines but that is slowing down now since they have sold too many units.

You go ahead and stand up for the Great and Mighty Oz-bama and his group but I refuse to give them any ground.
Do your sons bring home 250,000 after all expenses are paid? If so, then yes their taxes will go up.

If its a corporation, and then they get paid from that corporation, then the tax rate is already to high.

What the President is saying, is that if at the end of they year you brought home 250,000 dollars, he believes that your taxes go up. If you are using most of the earnings for your business to keep it going, then that isn't bringing it home.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Just about all politicians say they support small business but do next to nothing to help them.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Do your sons bring home 250,000 after all expenses are paid? If so, then yes their taxes will go up.

If its a corporation, and then they get paid from that corporation, then the tax rate is already to high.

What the President is saying, is that if at the end of they year you brought home 250,000 dollars, he believes that your taxes go up. If you are using most of the earnings for your business to keep it going, then that isn't bringing it home.
God, do I hope that you know that I know the difference between net and gross amounts. I assure you that I do and these people are netting way over that amount for the corporation as well as two or three of the owners.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I support coal power plants, along with anything else that turns a profit. I think the emissions should be lowered to the best level economically possible, but beyond that we should leave them alone.

We haven't had any power plants close around here, so I'm not sure where you are referring to, Nebraska?

I'd like to read the reasons why the plants were closed.
Here are a couple of links that I got and my computer locked while I was reading one of them so I sent back to finish it. Then I couldn't remember which thread we were on and have been reading on others looking for the spot.

One of these links is from a newspaper in a region to be really hurt, although New England will really be pounded. The other link is from another source that may be a blog although I find nothing in it that seems to be untrue.

EPA regulations for coal-fired power plants could force shut downs | TriCities.com

New EPA regulations force five power plants to shut down « America's Watchtower

Is the quote from the same link just what Obama promised? I believe I hear him saying those words and we all know that since he couldn't push Cap and Trade through that he intends to destroy coal with the EPA and that Jackson woman.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Regulations, in one word.
What specific regulations are you referring to?
Please use more than one word.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
What specific regulations are you referring to?
Please use more than one word.
How about the lemonade stand set up by kids at this weeks Open in Bethesda were threatened with a $500 fine because they didn't get a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies