Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,110 times

Advertisements

What the H3!!...he was just a kid.
My neighbors do it all the time..So I go along with it..they think its funny.
Its good to hear kids laugh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
So if I go to the wrong house and ring the bell and while waiting for someone to come to the door, I realize I'm at the wrong address and so I start to run over to the next house, it's okay to shoot me???

Who the hell is defending this idiot gun owner?

That's why there's laws that say you can't shoot a fleeing "robber" because you can't always be sure why people are running away.
This happened to a Japanese citizen in Louisana and the shooter was acquitted.

Yoshihiro Hattori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the ding dong kid was not threatening the life of the landowner then the shooting was unjustified. The shooter is responsible for aggravated assault at least.

The 2nd amendment allows you to keep firearms. It does NOT allow you to be irresponsible with them.
The state's laws and the application of the "reasonable man" test to those laws will determine of what the property owner is guilty or innocent, not the 2nd Amendment.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
So if I go to the wrong house and ring the bell and while waiting for someone to come to the door, I realize I'm at the wrong address and so I start to run over to the next house, it's okay to shoot me???

That's why there's laws that say you can't shoot a fleeing "robber" because you can't always be sure why people are running away.
I haven't read anyone who has "defended" him. Why are you even making that claim.

Do you have a link to the law you cite?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,136 times
Angry Rage

"The New York Post reports that after the kids rang 56-year-old Michael Bishop's bell he came out onto his porch armed with a shotgun and opened fire, hitting Eberle in the back and shoulder. . . . two collapsed lungs . . . probably had 200 [shotgun pellet wounds] . . ."

Why would anyone shoot at someone who is running away from his house? The kid, obviously wasn't any threat to him or his property.
Also, people KNOW that ONLY kids play this doorbell ditching game. So, he KNEW that he was shooting at a CHILD!!!
He could have called the police if he wanted to "get even" with the kid.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I haven't read anyone who has "defended" him. Why are you even making that claim.

Do you have a link to the law you cite?
Backpedal is cool.

YouTube - ‪Footloose Movie Trailer‬‏

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
"The New York Post reports that after the kids rang 56-year-old Michael Bishop's bell he came out onto his porch armed with a shotgun and opened fire, hitting Eberle in the back and shoulder. . . . two collapsed lungs . . . probably had 200 [shotgun pellet wounds] . . ."

Why would anyone shoot at someone who is running away from his house? The kid, obviously wasn't any threat to him or his property.
Also, people KNOW that ONLY kids play this doorbell ditching game. So, he KNEW that he was shooting at a CHILD!!!
He could have called the police if he wanted to "get even" with the kid.

Yeah. Guy might have been drunk as hell....or whatever....he will get 5-10+ years in prison to think about his actions while the kids family sues him for everything he has.

Might turn out the guy has mental problems like early dementia etc. too. His actions are SO far out that I really can't rule something like that out.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM

15,054 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:

Too bad such criteria isn't demanded of the police, aye? Run away from them and they'll shoot you, and everyone will agree that the runner had no business running away.

Like I said, we may not know the whole story ... could be a maniac that snapped, or it could be a guy who was at the end of his rope from being harassed to the point of breaking.

As for allowing robbers to run away ... yeah .. let them get away so they can come back another time to rob you ... utilizing a better strategy the next attempt. If someone breaks into my place ... I catch them, and they attempt to run away ... they won't make it very far.

The facts are, in the old days, you put up a sign that said "No Trespassing", that was your warning shot. Ignore the warning at your own risk. And in those days ... contrary to the Hollywood movies depicting the wild west .... there were far fewer violent crimes because criminals don't want to die anymore than law abiding citizens do.

And in those old days, people thought twice about stealing someone's horse due to the fact that the consequences outweighed the potential benefit. Justice was swift, and repeat offenders few.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 AM

760 posts, read 685,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Too bad such criteria isn't demanded of the police, aye? Run away from them and they'll shoot you, and everyone will agree that the runner had no business running away.
You don't get shout for running away from the police.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
You don't get shout for running away from the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies