Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I completely disagree with this. I see no reason why marriage would get in the way of attaining one's higher aspirations. If you meet the right person, even if you're in college or grad school, why wouldn't you get married? And why would you just up and quit school if you got married? Of course marriage leads to children for most, but that can be put off for as long as is necessary to get on one's feet after graduating college or whatever. Blue collar professions do not make it harder to get married in any way, I fail to see your logic with this one. It may make it harder to support a family with children, but generally, combining two incomes and having only one residence and one set of bills to pay makes things EASIER on the wallet, not harder.
Disagree again. If you honestly love someone, you don't really think about taking on their debt or their problems. I had a lot of credit card debt when I got married, my husband had no debt but he did have credit problems. Now the credit cards are paid off and my unfailingly great credit has helped his credit so that both of us are mid-700s, mine might even be close to 800 by now. It's a win-win. And hopefully if someone is in grad school, they are going to get a job that will pay those loans off, otherwise, the schooling wasn't worth it. But again, if you love someone and want them to be happy with what they are doing in life, you might just be willing to take on whatever student loans there may be. Your statements here are just so presumptuous. And why do you assume that when people get married, a baby follows IMMEDIATELY? Why does someone necessarily take time off to have a baby and THEN go back to get a diploma? I agree with you that extended schooling makes having children harder, but only for that period of time that one is in school, and according to you, people don't get married when they're in school, so it's a moot point, following your logic.

Wrong. Most of the people I graduated high school with in 2001 are either married or in a committed relationship with plans to marry. Some of these folks have kids. I'm 27 and most of my classmates were a year or year and a half older than me, so we're still all under 30. I really do not see why this is even a topic of discussion b/c the premise is just so wrong.
Look, you may disagree with the sky being blue...it ain't changing the fact the sky is blue.

Money is more at the crux. Social researchers are pretty unanimous about this. That's why more people are moving back at home with their parents. The number one reason...ding ding ding MONEY!!!!

More people are going to grad school. That means that they put off major things like marriage because babies usually accompany marriage. Guess why people don't want kids while in grad school...ding ding ding MONEY!!!!

Taking on another's persons debt as well as your own is usually what happens. You are forgetting that the average college male grad makes about 35-40 females make less...and they average debt is nearly 30k. So you figure making 60k, taking on the expense of a large place, the potential for having to pay health care for the other person, and seeing how children usually come with the territory...it becomes financially not feasible.

It's cheaper to live with mom and dad riding out the recession on a crappy salary paying back student loans at an enormous rate and start later than to make a financially stupid decision like marriage (taking on the other persons debt as well as your own).

It's not presumptuous, these are not my opinions, but rather what I've heard and read.

Love don't pay the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Don't tell me that only extremists think that way. I'm speaking from personal experience, and the general attitude, from pretty much all the women I've talked to, is that it's shameful to be a housewife. These aren't extreme feminists by any means.
I will you that because that's the truth. You don't know that feminism is. What is the difference between First, Second, and Third Wave? Do you know the difference between a structural feminist and a post modern feminist?

I like sociology a lot and took MANY sociology classes. Some of them were women studies classes. Again, I've seen the spectrum of extremists that had me pissed off at them and the majority.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,795,944 times
Has feminism destroyed relationships and marriage for those under 30?

This guy thinks so.

Quote:
Now you see what has happened. That “Government” has BROKEN THE 10TH COMMANDMENT, and has USURPED THE GOD-GIVEN, UNALIENABLE RIGHTS OF THE HUSBAND TO THE TOTAL OWNERSHIP OF HIS WIFE. The “Government” will pay for that. God will take vengeance. No way will it get out of that. Judgment will fall. Don’t believe Satan’s lie — the same lie he told Eve in Eden: “No, Eve, YOU WON’T SURELY DIE, IF YOU DO WHAT I SAY. God’s commandment has been misinterpreted to you. God didn’t mean that.” BUT GOD DID MEAN WHAT HE SAID. EVE DIED. SO WILL YOU DIE IF YOU BREAK THIS TENTH COMMANDMENT.
The Wife is Her Husband’s Property — God says so

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,306 times
Quote:
Don't tell me that only extremists think that way. I'm speaking from personal experience, and the general attitude, from pretty much all the women I've talked to, is that it's shameful to be a housewife. These aren't extreme feminists by any means.
It's shameful to not be able to support yourself and any children you might bring into this world, be you male or female. No girl should be raised to believe that a Prince Charming is going to come along to take care of her forever and ever.

There is nothing shameful in being a homemaker - be you male or female.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,858,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I will you that because that's the truth. You don't know that feminism is. What is the difference between First, Second, and Third Wave? Do you know the difference between a structural feminist and a post modern feminist?

I like sociology a lot and took MANY sociology classes. Some of them were women studies classes. Again, I've seen the spectrum of extremists that had me pissed off at them and the majority.
Oh I'll be honest with you I don't know a thing about the technicalities and the different waves of feminism. All I know is that the root of this type of thinking I'm referring to came from the feminist movement.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Oh I'll be honest with you I don't know a thing about the technicalities and the different waves of feminism. All I know is that the root of this type of thinking I'm referring to came from the feminist movement.
Chances are you don't know the feminist movement. The different waves reflect different "roots". The overall root was a wanting of equality. That's it. Each wave, like a root branch, split into various means of achieving the main trunk. Some of them died out and became unpopular (second wave extremism which is what you're referring to) others didn't.

Again the main trunk is equality. That's it.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,858,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Chances are you don't know the feminist movement. The different waves reflect different "roots". The overall root was a wanting of equality. That's it. Each wave, like a root branch, split into various means of achieving the main trunk. Some of them died out and became unpopular (second wave extremism which is what you're referring to) others didn't.

Again the main trunk is equality. That's it.
Okay then, as I said in my original post I'm all for equality. I'm addressing an observation I've made, that has roots in feminism.

I'm not referring to extremism. I'm referring to the general attitude in society that being a housewife is shameful. This is a very common attitude.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,459,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You realize the decline of marriage is the decline of a nation right? The fact marriage is seen as bad thing and decreasing in society is another factor to how low we have sunken in this country with our morals and values. I think feminism has contributed to the blurring of gender roles. Which is why young men and women are at odds with each other now. They can't keep a relationship for few months let alone death til' they part. The new norm is having sex on the first date. It's no wonder STD's are rampant. I mean, seriously? Feminine and alot of other factors such as atheist in our government and liberalism has contributed to not only the decline in marriage but the decline in morality, class, & traditional values in our society.
Provide data to back your claim please.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:13 AM

499 posts, read 404,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Yes. The "ladylike/masculine" dynamic was the way to go and it continues to work worldwide, as seen in countries where the divorce rate is still insignificant. But that pairing has been ruined in the USA, in part by feminism. Now you have women who've slept with dozens of men by the time they're married. Nothing ladylike about a woman who gets around. You have men who put in more care into their appearance than their significant other. Nothing masculine about men who want to be pretty.

I'm not against feminism at a moderate level. But geneder roles have been defined for ages. The more males and females work out of their roles the more damaging it'll be - the divorce rate can only go up.
How do you feel about men who have slept with "dozens of women" before they marry?

Why should women put up with an unfair double standard, where they are denigrated for enjoying and having sex, but men aren't?

I can't think of any good reason why.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM

499 posts, read 404,956 times
Quote:
A point I raise often, but many females these days still consider it shameful to be a housewife.

My definition of feminism is probably different from yours.
I suggest you broaden your knowledge of feminism in that case. Being a housewife isn't shameful, and the idea that it would be because it is "women's work" is misogynist in itself. (Though as another poster said, an attitude which crept into one of the branches of feminism).

Last edited by Dollymixture; 06-16-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies