Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Did the White House direct them to keep it quiet or is this sour grapes because CBS broke the original story?

ABC, NBC Skip Issa Probe Exposing ATF's 'Idiotic' Policy Blamed in Border Agent Slaying | NewsBusters.org

Quote:
Despite a series of compelling hearings that for months have excoriated the ATF's practice of letting guns purchased in America slip across the Mexican border and hoping the trail would lead federal agents to drug kingpins, the investigation received no coverage yesterday on either the NBC "Nightly News" with Brian Williams or the ABC "World News" with Diane Sawyer.

Not only did Williams and Sawyer ignore the controversy last night, but NBC only mentioned the investigation once since February and ABC has never covered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did the White House direct them to keep it quiet or is this sour grapes because CBS broke the original story?

ABC, NBC Skip Issa Probe Exposing ATF's 'Idiotic' Policy Blamed in Border Agent Slaying | NewsBusters.org
What are your expectations of American TV 'news"?
If you checked newspapers you'd find that TV news has let tons of stories go unreported.
A sample: less than two weeks age a US drone attack in Afghanistan killed 14 civilians; 2 women and 12 children.
Recently, with all the talk of spending, Congress approved 690 billion dollars for the Pentagon.
The losers are those who believe America's TV networks actually report news.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:

The program began under the Bush administration.

The Obama justice department doesn't want to pursue those in the ATF who came up with the idea, and who ran it, because they always do that. The Bush administration did the same thing under their office from time to time. When people wanted to know who was conducting water boarding, the Bush administration said they didn't want to discourage out of the box thinking, and didn't allow that information to be released.

If there is more to it than that, then news organizations will cover it.

Perhaps Fox could have covered it more, if it wasn't a legacy conservative Republican program, and if they weren't to busy talking about Weiners weiner.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Here's another one:
Ex spy: Bush White House pressed CIA to dig up dirt on Iraq war critic

Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The program began under the Bush administration.

The Obama justice department doesn't want to pursue those in the ATF who came up with the idea, and who ran it, because they always do that. The Bush administration did the same thing under their office from time to time. When people wanted to know who was conducting water boarding, the Bush administration said they didn't want to discourage out of the box thinking, and didn't allow that information to be released.

If there is more to it than that, then news organizations will cover it.

Perhaps Fox could have covered it more, if it wasn't a legacy conservative Republican program, and if they weren't to busy talking about Weiners weiner.
Fox has been all over this in reporting the hearings. Care to stick to the subject about NBC and ABC's failure? We have other threads about the liberal's defections to "blame Bush".

And yes, there is much more to it. Seems you've comment on a story you haven't even bothered to follow or you would know that the Issa and Grassley investigations have been fought by the DOJ.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Fox has been all over this in reporting the hearings. Care to stick to the subject about NBC and ABC's failure? We have other threads about the liberal's defections to "blame Bush".

And yes, there is much more to it. Seems you've comment on a story you haven't even bothered to follow or you would know that the Issa and Grassley investigations have been fought by the DOJ.
I've watched fox off and on for the last week, and I haven't seen one announcement about any news on this.

The only place I've seen this is on the web. The major news outlets are to worried about Weiners weiner.

I know exactly what the investigation is about. The ATF started selling weapons to weapons dealers to try and root out the major sources. This backfired and gave guns to drug smugglers and weapons dealers on the border, and its suspected to have lead to the deaths of other agents.

The program was then cancelled.

Issa wanted to know who made the program, and the names of the agents involved, and the justice department had dropped the case. So now he's investigating it.

Did I mention it was a Bush era program?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What are your expectations of American TV 'news"?
If you checked newspapers you'd find that TV news has let tons of stories go unreported.
A sample: less than two weeks age a US drone attack in Afghanistan killed 14 civilians; 2 women and 12 children.
Recently, with all the talk of spending, Congress approved 690 billion dollars for the Pentagon.
The losers are those who believe America's TV networks actually report news.
And that would be the majority of Americans my friend.
They tell us exactly what they want us to know.
If it's not on TV then it didn't happen.

Just like there's a "nuclear situation" happening in Nebraska right now with the floods but hardly a word is on the major MSM stations.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
I've watched fox off and on for the last week, and I haven't seen one announcement about any news on this.

The only place I've seen this is on the web. The major news outlets are to worried about Weiners weiner.

I know exactly what the investigation is about. The ATF started selling weapons to weapons dealers to try and root out the major sources. This backfired and gave guns to drug smugglers and weapons dealers on the border, and its suspected to have lead to the deaths of other agents.

The program was then cancelled.

Issa wanted to know who made the program, and the names of the agents involved, and the justice department had dropped the case. So now he's investigating it.

Did I mention it was a Bush era program?
Sorry you missed all the coverage from FOX. There has been lot, from clips from the hearings to interviews with ATF and Border agents.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I've watched fox off and on for the last week, and I haven't seen one announcement about any news on this........

YouTube - ‪White House Continues Stonewalling Congressional Investigation on Project Gunrunner‬‏

House Panel to Weigh Subpoena Authority in 'Fast and Furious' Gun Case - FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-agents-death/

Rep. Issa: ATF Program Was a Mistake - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com

Are you really going to exert that this isn't worth NBC or ABC covering?

YouTube - ‪Breach of Trust: Who Knew About Operation Fast & Furious? Who Authorized It?‬‏

Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Oh noes! The MSM! Where's my tin foil hat!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies