Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,044,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That is total liberal maniacal BS. Immigrants wanting to come to America used to have to qualify ... and these immigrants studied and prepared to become American citizens, which included as a necessity, learning the language.

But if I were King for just one day ... I'd make a law that gave a badge and a gun and a warrant to every illegal asking for it, that allowed them to break in and take over any liberal's home they chose, eat their food, watch their TV ... drive their cars ... and take their jobs. Because that's the policy you currently support ..

Then, we'd see how fast your "closet racist butt" started crying like a baby. Oh yeah, you'd be all for that, wouldn't you?
Uh, no. Almost all major immigrant groups over history have either been poor or marginalized in some way. They did not "study" to come here. What a ridiculous claim. Now, there are some individual immigrants who prepare to say, go to school here, but if we are talking about large groups overall, no. And no, many European immigrant groups were not fluent in English, and many did not speak it at all. Again, 1st generations are, for obvious reasons, the least likely to be able to adapt and the least likely to want to. However, I'm not so sure why this should be offensive unless you find culture and language in general to be offensive, especially if it is not your own. I find that odd.

The rest of your post is you clearly breaking down into hysterics and paranoia, of which I have no use for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,044,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Then I suggest you comrades start learning Chinese.
If I was any good at learning languages, I would. Educating yourself and learning new things is not a scary process.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,473,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Uh, no. Almost all major immigrant groups over history have either been poor or marginalized in some way. They did not "study" to come here. What a ridiculous claim. Now, there are some individual immigrants who prepare to say, go to school here, but if we are talking about large groups overall, no. And no, many European immigrant groups were not fluent in English, and many did not speak it at all. Again, 1st generations are, for obvious reasons, the least likely to be able to adapt and the least likely to want to. However, I'm not so sure why this should be offensive unless you find culture and language in general to be offensive, especially if it is not your own. I find that odd.

The rest of your post is you clearly breaking down into hysterics and paranoia, of which I have no use for.

Agree that most immigrant groups arriving on this continent were from the lower strata of population BUT after arriving through LEGAL means, they then went about learning english and further, to teaching their children english ALONG with their mother tongue. Culture was maintained but they were adamant that their children would be given all the tools they needed to avail themselves of all the things their parents had been denied as youth. They then went about applying for citizenship with all of the required "learning" that went with it to qualify.

This situation is vastly different; you have an advocate for illegal's rights who is very fluent in english, who chooses to use the opportunity of addressing the Texas Legislature in his native tongue to score "tuffy points" with his constituents knowing this would also be taken as an insult in that house of reps.

He could have prevented the insult aspect by merely suggesting that he would address the house in BOTH languages so as to both; make his point and, service his constituents. In this manner he could have put the onus on the senator's to either accept or refute his right to speak but at their risk of appearing bigoted.

As I said before; he missed a golden opportunity and instead went for the "kill shot" because he was more interested in grandstanding while sticking a finger in the eye of the Legislature.

No 'kudos' or respect is warranted for this dude as he's more interested in stoking the fires than representing a large disenfanchised group from a position of respect. He'd achieve better results using the carrot rather than the stick.

That Senator is guilty of only one thing; stupidly falling into the trap laid for him by this cretin. That indeed was the intent; to INSULT and hopefully provoke that exact reaction.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,314 times
They need to learn English. If someone is an immigrant and they speak any foreign language other than Spanish, chances are they speak English too. Whether it be German French Italian arabic Chinese Japanese and tons of other languages.

South american Spanish though? Good chance they don't speak a lick of English.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 AM

15,046 posts, read 8,619,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
As if preparation legally or otherwise requires english. The guy probably speaks english. He was demanding accomodation. The hillbilly senator from Texas
was insulted that he couldn't understand.

No, the Senator was insulted by the very absurdity of having to listen to a man who's goal it is to help facilitate criminal invaders from being stopped, who chose to compound the insult by addressing the Senator in the foreign language of the criminals.

It makes perfect sense ... which is why the backward wired brains of liberals cannot grasp the concept.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,527,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
As if preparation legally or otherwise requires english. The guy probably speaks english. He was demanding accomodation. The hillbilly senator from Texas
was insulted that he couldn't understand.
I bet that most people in Texas support the hillbilly senator. The guy is an advocate for criminals and that makes his point worthless regardless of what language he speaks.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 140,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then we better start treating schools like the UN with headsets that translate what the teacher is saying to the various languages the kids are speaking as their first choice over English. And then we better start producing textbooks in various languages and state tests.

Because the non-assimilation of the parents is being exhibited by the kids in the schools. You have 8th graders requesting Spanish speaking volunteer tutors and then making a stink when told they will be tutored in English.
If the 8th graders arrived to the USA recently they will need ESL classes or a English tutor.

Any student that had gone through the USA school system CAN speak English fluently, no matter if their parents can't say "hello" in English. If a "Mexican" student go to school all its life in Texas and that student still can't speak English, it only means that Texas education is CRAP and the federal government should intervene, because it is clear that Texas is not doing what others states like New York and Florida are doing with their ESL students.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Any student that had gone through the USA school system CAN speak English fluently, ..
No they can't. They leave the letter 'U' out of words like favour, flavour, colour and they use a 'Z' where they should use an 'S'.

Just saying!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
If the 8th graders arrived to the USA recently they will need ESL classes or a English tutor.

Any student that had gone through the USA school system CAN speak English fluently, no matter if their parents can't say "hello" in English. If a "Mexican" student go to school all its life in Texas and that student still can't speak English, it only means that Texas education is CRAP and the federal government should intervene, because it is clear that Texas is not doing what others states like New York and Florida are doing with their ESL students.
They spoke English just fine. I was their tutor and I cannot speak Spanish.
Like it or not, they had me as a volunteer tutor which has nothing to do with ESL classes. This was extra Math help for them after school.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 PM

93 posts, read 140,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No they can't. They leave the letter 'U' out of words like favour, flavour, colour and they use a 'Z' where they should use an 'S'.

Just saying!
I said fluently not properly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies