Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
You rang???

As ALWAYS happens, there are allegations of threats and harrassment by mamagers in the run-up to the vote.

Target managers threw their arms around the workers, saying:

"Hey, we're a team here. You don't need a union. The union only wants your dues money. They can't really do anything for you. They will just cause problems for you (hint, wink, nudge). They will turn you all into trouble-makers. You don't want us to think you're a bunch of trouble-makers, DO YOU??? You know, if you vote yes, and the union comes in here, we'll probably have to close this store. That would be a shame."

Promises and threats. The old capitalist one-two punch. Even so, the final vote was 135-85, not 220-0. So the union idea wasn't totally rejected, it just had insufficient votes.

They don't call it the labor "struggle" for nothing. I know the UFCW will keep trying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/business/19target.html?hp
I love it when management uses the tactics they learned from the unions, intimidation and threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I love it when management uses the tactics they learned from the unions, intimidation and threats.
Starting a union might indeed mean the store would have to close. What about that was threatening? Would the workers have preferred starting a union and the store shuttering within a year?

If he wasn't pushing and yelling like the union thugs did, I don't see a problem. He stated his opinion in a calm logical reasoned manner and that's that. If the employees were fickle enough to waffle like that rather than listen to their own principles, too bad.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
They would have had better wages and benefits with a union. They didn't reject a union because they didn't want one, or because they would have been worse off, but because they succumbed to fear, manipulation, and threats imposed on them by management.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 AM

118 posts, read 87,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
They would have had better wages and benefits with a union. They didn't reject a union because they didn't want one, or because they would have been worse off, but because they succumbed to fear, manipulation, and threats imposed on them by management.
You're a mind reader?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economics201 View Post
You're a mind reader?
No doubt in my mind people making scab wages and working part-time without benefits must have known they'd be better off with a Union. Economics 201, meet Common Sense 101

Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,094,340 times
The Common Man 1

Big Union Greed 0

Score one for the little guy.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The Common Man 1

Big Union Greed 0

Score one for the little guy.
Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel, "the little guy"

Old 06-18-2011, 12:14 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,157 times
Haha it's like every other employer, most employees are fired for even thinking about joining a union. It might be against the law but it's the truth. Target workers are mostly under educated adults, immigrants, and 20 year olds. They don't have a clue how bad they are getting screwed. They are just happy to have "decent' wages and "decent" benefits. While two generations ago their grandparents were retiring with full pensions, and able to send their kids off to college debt free and retire at 55. The younger generations are clueless. They are getting screwed worse than anyone. But they have been brainwashed by the crony capitalists.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Starting a union might indeed mean the store would have to close. What about that was threatening? Would the workers have preferred starting a union and the store shuttering within a year?

If he wasn't pushing and yelling like the union thugs did, I don't see a problem. He stated his opinion in a calm logical reasoned manner and that's that. If the employees were fickle enough to waffle like that rather than listen to their own principles, too bad.
I know he did. I was needling the poster I was responding too who claimed that management threatened and intimidating them..

I am glad they turned the union down.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:26 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel, "the little guy"
Why is he your enemy? because he makes more money than you? because he posses a skill set that is in high demand that many (including yourself) don't have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies