Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,978,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So what does that make the 47% of American households that pay no federal income tax? Why do they get freebie federal government services and benefits that the rest don't?

I hardly think those paying MORE than their fair share are getting any special advantages. On the contrary, it's costing them far more than it should.

This concept that 47% of mostly lower income American pay no taxes is a lie. What should be understood is most of these people have no taxable income because their income is small and this is consistent with the fact that most of these people have little or no net assets after all their liabilities are considered. These are the people that live pay check to pay check, have a negative equitity in their home mortgage and have nothing to speak of in their retirement accounts.
Yet they pay taxes like FICA and dear ol'Uncle Sam takes their income and has use of their money until the IRS has to cut a refund check. Thats why you file a 1040 to get your money back. Even if you cut the IRS out by under with holding you pay a penalty for trying to stiff the Feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,359,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Welcome to New America
I was considered wealthy at one time.

But taxes, inflation, a home is now only worth what I originally paid for it at the beginning of my mortgage and the devaluation of the dollars I put away for retirement made me a lower class American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies