Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,340,200 times

Advertisements

There is one simple thing that could save our government BILLIONS of dollars--all Medicade recipients can only get medication at one pharmacy, and drugs can only be prescribed by ONE primary care doctor--unless there is an emergency, in which case the medication must still be approved by the primary care doctor within 5 days.

This would end "doctor shopping" for meds, some Medicaid recipients doctor shop and have multiple scripts written for the same drug--usually pain meds--that can be sold for cash.

Why don't they do this fairly simple, and reasonable limit ? Because it would cost docotrs money, and pharmacies money, and even drug companies money....don't think that law will ever pass our system of government.

A simple, cost effective measure...and appropriate...will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,105,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Less eligible people means less drug tests AND less welfare tax money being sent out (due to the ones who feel drugs are more important than free money).
It wouldn't even be a problem if we just make the recipients pay for it themselves.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
And you support tax money going towards murdering innocent people in foreign countries, not me.

See how that works?
Again, you're making a huge leap. That is not the subject and nobody here has said they support a war of any type.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You would save NOTHING.

How hard is it for me to stop snorting coke for 2 days before a drug test If I want a welfare check and I am a drug user? Then I pass and get the check and go right back to it.

So how does this program solve anything?
It would obviously have to be random.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
It's not derailing if the whole initial complaint is about the federal budget/tax dollars, and yet for some reason you're focused on a tiny little sliver of that budget as if it's the key.
HHS outspends DOD.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I have been focused I like how you skipped every one of my points.

Drug testing would cost BILLIONS and have so many holes and added costs to society it would save NOTHING.

And if the "liberals" who want to give free crack to everyone are so wrong then how come NO GOVERNOR ANYWHERE has enacted a policy to drug test welfare recipients?

....its almost as if they just say they want to do it because they know fear mongering plays well with their base?
I completely disagree with you on all points, now that I have had time to read them. I am playing catchup right now as I had to, ya know, stop and make dinner, eat said dinner, cleanup after said dinner, pick up my brother at work, fill out some paperwork, things that are necessary to live my life outside C-D. Is that okay with you? I do think we are finally getting through to you, though, that much is a good thing.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,139,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is one simple thing that could save our government BILLIONS of dollars--all Medicade recipients can only get medication at one pharmacy, and drugs can only be prescribed by ONE primary care doctor--unless there is an emergency, in which case the medication must still be approved by the primary care doctor within 5 days.

This would end "doctor shopping" for meds, some Medicaid recipients doctor shop and have multiple scripts written for the same drug--usually pain meds--that can be sold for cash.

Why don't they do this fairly simple, and reasonable limit ? Because it would cost docotrs money, and pharmacies money, and even drug companies money....don't think that law will ever pass our system of government.

"""all Medicade recipients can only get medication at one pharmacy, and drugs can only be prescribed by ONE primary care doctor--""""

Sweet Jaysus! And

W H E R E would that ONE pharmacy and ONE doctor be located?

In the center of the US with shuttle service from all 50 states???

In YOUR state next door to YOU?

Or would YOU be willing to travel 1500 miles for a doctor's appointment???

Will plane fare be provided?

Don't you think that ONE doctor would be quite busy?

Oh , REALLY a great solution.....no, truly, that was well thought out...

Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,373,641 times
Its real simple folks.

Add up how much money would have to be spent on monthly drug tests on anyone getting government assistance.

Now add up the percentage of people who might be forced off for failing a drug test.

And then after that initial drop, are you still going to drug test every month, every person?

The money that would be saved would be dwarfed by the amount you'd have to spend on the tests and testing.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,139,101 times
Quote:
I dont believe there is a way to "fix the problem".

People are always gonna do drugs and these people are gonna have kids...its just how do you want to deal with it.

Anything more drastic than random drug testing and a snitch hot-line is going to cost way more than it saves.

Plus what do you think....That a crack addict mom with 5 kids that just got her welfare denied is gonna put on her best suit type up a resume and hit the job hunt? Even in the BEST of times with 3% unemployment a person like that would be hard pressed to find a job.

Now you could say screw her if she cant find work so instead of having her get 1000$ a month to take care of her kids...now the kids are in foster care costing 30-40k a year and the mom at BEST is locked up costing 45-60k a year in Prison.

So there's noway to solve it unless you want to set up labor camps and gas chambers.
Yup, these Repugs target the poor for their "Hate Scapegoat" but they'll never quite have the backbone to admit what they truly are doing is advocating killing those they don't like.

They NEVER give a solution but whine about how ""if" everyone was as perfect as they are then they could have their Nirvana, their perfect world filled with rainbows and unicorns.

They try to say that how much Welfare the rich get is off topic but then burbble and drool boring details of their personal life, which is really off topic, because they can NOT answer your points.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,119,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

The electronic health records should mitigate doctor shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies