Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a humorous act, and we have now 40 pages of people taking it way too seriously (or pretending to, in order to score points).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Agreed. If Pawlenty, Gingrich or Bachmann wanted they could file complaints for assault. It would probably do them more harm than good. It would make them seem petty and unpresidential, going after people who were staging a political protest. And the activists would get even more media time for their cause.

The first two I believe were done at book signings, and Bachmann happened as she was coming off stage to do some handshaking after giving a speech. In each of those instances the candidates were getting close to the public. I'm assuming that the glitterati here were not armed with anything other than ziplock bags with glitter inside. I would guess that there was regular amounts of security and they were able to pass through fine, because they had no weapons on them, however much some posters want to reclassify glitter as some sort of WMD.
Check this link and then tell me if that girl is throwing glitter out of a plastic sack or a bottle.

Michele Bachmann Hit With Glitter Attack, Organized Plot Exposed. | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze

Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
In great taste? No, probably not. Assault? You must be joking. I wish you guys were more honest about what you were really outraged about. It's certainly not glitter.
Not assault at all. What she did was battery. Assault is threatening to do a thing and battery is actually doing it. I got tired of trying this morning to let people know the difference and still most don't know the difference.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not assault at all. What she did was battery. Assault is threatening to do a thing and battery is actually doing it. I got tired of trying this morning to let people know the difference and still most don't know the difference.
I was going to say the above but figured some people would get too confused. There you go throwing another variable into the discussion.

But it's ok because it's Bachman.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
Check this link and then tell me if that girl is throwing glitter out of a plastic sack or a bottle.

Michele Bachmann Hit With Glitter Attack, Organized Plot Exposed. | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze
You're right, that looks like a bottle to me. Does that change anything I wrote?

The first video I saw was pretty unclear, so I thought it was a plastic bag or a manila envelope like the first two appeared to be.

http://www.bringmethenews.com/wp-con...ter-Attack.jpg

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/kg...17_600x338.jpg

I'll freely admit that you're right that with Bachmann the glitter seems to have come from a bottle instead of a ziplock bag, but I'm honestly wondering what that would change here. People can generally bring bottles (especially what looks like a water bottle from that picture) into public events like that without trouble.

Quote:
I got tired of trying this morning to let people know the difference and still most don't know the difference.
In fairness, there are many states that refer to them interchangeably. You've got the difference right between battery and assault under the common law definition, but many states do it differently.

For example, in New York, all criminal batteries are called assaults. There is no separate crime of battery in NY, though there is a distinction made for purposes of civil tort. In NY, even third degree battery requires that the defendant intentionally cause some physical injury. There is no separate assault crime for the sort of offensive touching that would have occurred in these events. In NY, if it could be proven that the glitterer created a "reasonable apprehension" of injury, the glitterer could be liable for menacing. Again, this is different from state to state.

I don't have the time to look up what the standard is in Minnesota, where she did get glittered. It may have been a criminal assault or battery there. I agree with you on this point - studying for the bar makes you realize how little the vast majority of people who want to talk about the law on the internet actually know the first thing about the law.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
So that's going to be a negative on the whole focusing-on-the-real-issue thing, huh?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So blind!

What right does a gay activist have to throw anything on another person?
The same right that that Rand Paul supporter had when he stomped on that MoveOn activist's head. Remember that? I recall basically every tea right winger on here defending him and offering various explanations of why that the woman deserved to be beaten.

I'm not saying that this gay activist was right to throw glitter on anyone; I'm just saying that you and probably most other people on here are not really consistent in your statements - you change it depending on the political affiliation of the offender.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This is like asking why blacks weren't satisfied with riding at the back of the bus. Hey, at least they could ride the bus, right? Your logic is an epic fail and not even subtle in its contempt.
Nice of you to pull the race card. When all else fails, throw Black people into the mix. How convenient. And so unexpected.

Speaking of "subtle", you don't even recognize how your responses are straight from the Liberal Playbook. You should try free-thought sometime. It's very liberating.

But then again, I expect nothing less from the Leftist Mind on this forum.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:04 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Speaking of "subtle", you don't even recognize how your responses are straight from the Liberal Playbook. You should try free-thought sometime. It's very liberating.
Yes, free thought! See, if you don't want to beat up any gay person that gives you a look that you don't like, you're a liberal! Bet you didn't know that! It also takes free thought to realize that every single gay and lesbian person who wants to marry a person of the same sex is actually only out for a few extra government dollars! Hetero couples don't do that of course, because they're pure of heart and the way God wanted. If you're deluded by leftist thinking, you might be falsely coerced into thinking that gay and lesbians just want equal rights and recognition of their love, but that's because you're under the spell of Alinsky Tactics (and Alinsky Tactics is certainly not right wing code for "I got nothing.").

In conclusion, every time Aero posts in this thread, I start thinking of this guy:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/why-do-all-these-homosexuals-keep-sucking-my-****,10861/ (broken link)

Edit: Well damn, filter works on domain names too. It's the Onion article called "Why do all these Homosexuals Keep Sucking my C*ck." The guy in that "Commentary" fits Aero's attitude in this thread, with his false machismo and his "I'm not PC so that gives me a right to make blanket statements about all sorts of people and be an Internet Tough Guy!"

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nice of you to pull the race card. When all else fails, throw Black people into the mix. How convenient. And so unexpected.

But then again, I expect nothing less from the Leftist Mind on this forum.
It's not pulling the race card when making a valid comparison, and making that claim shows you don't even know what that really means. I was comparing your current thought processes to those of a 1950s segregationist, not accusing you of racism. But I bet deep down you fully understand the point made and want to do everything in your power to squirm away from it.

Liberal playbook? Dude, seriously, you're a walking cliche. How many times a day do you say something like that when you can't directly address what someone says? It's actually incredibly ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies