Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think are the main attributors to the acheivement gap?
IQ/genetic differences among races 18 26.47%
Differences in parenting styles among different cultures 33 48.53%
Racial bias amongst educators 2 2.94%
Socioeconomic status 26 38.24%
None of the above/Other (please elaborate) 11 16.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
.............. what do you mean, "you people"?

What do YOOOUUU mean YOU people

- One of my Favorite lines from Tropic Thunder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why? Because I am genuinely interesting in the cause of the achievement gap? You are too much. After identifying a problem, the next step towards fixing it is to find out the cause of the problem. You can't solve it if you don't know what's causing it.

Someone a little grouchy today? You people seriously need to get over your use of the race card already. We won't solve any of our race relation problems with attitudes like yours. How do you propose we address the issue of the achievement gap if we aren't even allowed to speak of it else we risk being called a racist. Believe it or not, it IS possible to have an adult conversation about race and achievement. Well, maybe not in your case.
Well said. Congrats.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think it's a mixture of two things, so I couldn't vote. It has to do with socioeconomic status as well as the important of education in a specific culture.

I think if you are poor AND your culture doesn't value hard work and educational achievement, you are probably doomed. Unless you have something inside you that can transcend all that stuff.
Agreed. There are to many cases of people who grew up in the ghettos and have succeeded. They always attribute their success to their parent/parents urging then on and pushing them to do well in school.

My answer would be, parenting.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
hey i probably should've voted for "Differences in parenting styles among different cultures" but i voted for the "please elaborate" choice.
what my answer is is: Differences in parenting styles combined with differences in classroom culture/behavior among different cultures. i heard alot of black kids think classroom learning is somehow "white". which begs the question: what then, would be considered "black" learning? (e.g. 'street smarts'? i'm not trying to flame- i really do not know, that's why i'm asking)

Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Unless you people are willing to say Asians are genetically superior intellectually to whites (based on test scores)...the smart answer would be Socioeconomic status or Parenting Style.

I thought Asians were white...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
This is from an older article from Education Week, but the premise still applies:

Research Center: Achievement Gap

So why do we continue to see such pervasive gaps in achievement between different races and classes? It can't just be attributed to poor inner city schools vs. affluent suburban schools because the same gaps are seen within a school when results are broken down by race and socioeconomic status.

While there is correlation between socioeconomic status and achievement, there is also correlation between race and achievement. Is it the natural result of variation in students’ genetic makeup and natural ability, cultural and parenting differences, or socioeconomic levels?
As any good psychology student or professional would say, it's a combination of genetics and upbringing. I don't know if there are IQ differences or differences in how the races learn, but it's not a stretch to say that genetics could have something to do with it. I do know that parenting has a huge impact on how the child develops, IMO it is a much bigger impact than genetics. I also voted for SES b/c I think it plays at least some role, the extent of which I'm not certain. I do not think it's b/c of any racial bias on the part of the teachers or school system.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
We get these IQ / Achievement gap threads on CD all the time. The posters are always racist. They just don't have the guts to say what they are thinking.
Nobody has mentioned race, at least before the Nigerians were brought up and then it just spun out of control.... So now who's the racist?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I thought Asians were white...

Tea Party'er?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:03 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Why? Because I am genuinely interesting in the cause of the achievement gap? You are too much. After identifying a problem, the next step towards fixing it is to find out the cause of the problem. You can't solve it if you don't know what's causing it.

Someone a little grouchy today? You people seriously need to get over your use of the race card already. We won't solve any of our race relation problems with attitudes like yours. How do you propose we address the issue of the achievement gap if we aren't even allowed to speak of it else we risk being called a racist. Believe it or not, it IS possible to have an adult conversation about race and achievement. Well, maybe not in your case.
You people?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:03 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Lack of desire. This lack of desire is fed by the lack of opportunities for the brightest and most talented people within those socio-economic groups who routinely perform poorly on tests. Some of the most talented and highly educated men I knew growing up were porters, sky jacks, and mail carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies