Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well I read some of these posts and I'm here to help out some of you folks.

John Stewart targets Fox News not because their news is so one-sided, but because they do not have a liberal counterpart to high conservatives Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly. MSNBC is trying to find success using the same model but with a liberal counterpart, but as of yet have not had the success of Fox.

Both Stewart and Wallace made good points. Stewart stated that Fox was allegedly "fair and balanced" but in fact were no such thing, according to Stewart. Wallace asked Stewart why he doesn't target the more liberal media, which is a valid question. As Wallace correctly pointed out, Stewart has an agenda that does go beyond comedy.

Stewart stated that he often does not like the way conservatives are both unfairly portrayed and also wrongly accused of various social misdeeds. Stewart said he is "uncomfortable" with that anti-conservaitve mentality. To his credit, Stewart then admitted that he was at times guilty of it too.

It is hard to do comedy without offending someone or making someone angry. Even if it's political comedy. In fact, especially if it's political comedy.
I agree with most of this. I am very conservative, but I do enjoy Jon Stewart pointing out silliness. He does it really well. I have heard him go after Obama also. I was just taken aback by his almost-frothing-at-the-mouth demeanor when he talked about Fox News.

I just have one question:

What is a "high conservative"? Do you mean that they are extreme in their views or high profile or something else? I have just never heard that term before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I agree with most of this. I am very conservative, but I do enjoy Jon Stewart pointing out silliness. He does it really well. I have heard him go after Obama also. I was just taken aback by his almost-frothing-at-the-mouth demeanor when he talked about Fox News.

I just have one question:

What is a "high conservative"? Do you mean that they are extreme in their views or high profile or something else? I have just never heard that term before.
When I say "high conservative" I suppose the most accurate definition would be that they are conservatives right down the line on all issues. Beck is guilty of this more than O'Reilly. I would be more willing to listen to O'Reilly if he didn't interrupt his guests constantly. Politically he doesn't bother me.

I have a bit of a tough time listening to Stewart on his show. I think he is too anti-conservative for me. I am most willing to listen to him when he is the one being interviewed. I liked him on O'Reilly (when he wasn't being interrupted). I thought he one-upped O'Reilly that night.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Yep and he DESTROYED Wiener too.

Id love to see Hannity or Beck do the same to a GOP member.
You must have missed it during the Bush administration.

Conservative talk radio is solely responsible for ending Bush and McCain's "amnesty" bill. They also skewered him over his SCOTUS pick Harriet Meyers.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
When I say "high conservative" I suppose the most accurate definition would be that they are conservatives right down the line on all issues. Beck is guilty of this more than O'Reilly. I would be more willing to listen to O'Reilly if he didn't interrupt his guests constantly. Politically he doesn't bother me.

I have a bit of a tough time listening to Stewart on his show. I think he is too anti-conservative for me. I am most willing to listen to him when he is the one being interviewed. I liked him on O'Reilly (when he wasn't being interrupted). I thought he one-upped O'Reilly that night.
O'Reilly is not conservative, he is a populist

Old 06-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
Stewart has always called what it is, except that he is a comedian who contends with major news networks.

This is sad.
He calls it as HE sees it.

Just like the rest of us.

When you have a compliant audience, who really likes and respects you, most of what you say will resonate with them.

He sees things through the prism of liberalism, just as I see things through a conservative prism.

Real, true political junkies, who pay attention to things do not take him seriously.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
"....a relentless agenda driven 24 hours news opinion propaganda delivery system"....

Jon Stewart, March 31.

If this is not obvious to you, then, in the words of Jeff Foxworthy, you might be a redneck.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Stewart accurately identified Wallace as a speck of rationality trying to swim in soup of partisan hack speak. Unfortunately that reality never got thru to Wallace.
Because it isn't true, bob.

Yes. Fox news does lean right.

So what?

msnbc, cbs, nbc, abc, ny times, washington post and most other major "news" outlets slant way left.

You lefties are just upset because your points do not resonate with most Americans.

For instance, if most Americans want a single payer health care system, why isn't obama running on that? Of course he says it in "private" meetings with lefty donors, but he will not say it to the public.

Why not?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Stewart is a comedy show, but he certainly has his finger on the hypocracy of politicians on both sides, the issue I take is with supposedly serious news media on both sides that are supposed to be objective.

He leans to the left, but regardless of your political affiliation some of his shows are absolutely entertaining to say the least, no shortage of material with the present day politicians.

Seriously, criticizing the Dailey show, a political satire at best while letting Fox News, MSNBC and all the right wing radio "objective" commentators a bye seems misguided.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Jon Stewart owns whomever FAUX has interview him, be it O'Reilly or Wallace.

He absolutely skewers FAUX on his show.
I never miss that show and sure enough Stewart lost his butt to Wallace. You should watch it if you get a chance. Wallace seldom loses to people of either party and he doesn't throw many softballs when he is interviewing.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Did you not watch the video in which Wallace exposes his inconsistent standards or did you just not understand it?
That one will surely never now anything about Wallace or Fox because all his info about them comes from places like Media Matters or Think Progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies