Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The sign is pretty obviously photoshopped.

Regardless, I'm sure the next door neighbor would've had homeowners insurance that would pay for any loss of property, and being for gun control, I'm relatively sure this hypothetical neighbor would be under the impression that he/she didn't have any posessions worth killing over in the first place.
The impressions of unarmed hypothetical homeowners or similarly unarmed neighbors matters little when measured against the intent of armed thieves and predators.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-20-2011 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Some theives do not need any reasom beyond leaving no witnesses to kill the occupants. I think the sign is cute but improper but I would be glad to help the neighbors learn how to defend themselves. Including teaching them that they need to be able to do that.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,162 times
Quote:

Regardless, I'm sure the next door neighbor would've had homeowners insurance that would pay for any loss of property, and being for gun control, I'm relatively sure this hypothetical neighbor would be under the impression that he/she didn't have any posessions worth killing over in the first place.
Possessions can be replaced. The time that you need a weapon is to protect your life when a would-be assailant breaks into your house. And for that, you do need a weapon - because anyone who's willing to take the risk of entering your house is also likely armed (be-it with a club, a knife or a gun).

Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The impressions of unarmed hypothetical homeowners or similarly unarmed neighbors matters little when measured against the intent of armed thieves and predators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Possessions can be replaced. The time that you need a weapon is to protect your life when a would-be assailant breaks into your house. And for that, you do need a weapon - because anyone who's willing to take the risk of entering your house is also likely armed (be-it with a club, a knife or a gun).
Most potential homeowners who are pro gun-control have several windows to jump out of, as well as possible back doors and garage exits, not to mention the possible ability to barricade an interior door, whilst calling the police, if escape is impossible.

And just for funsies, lets assume none of those options are available, what's wrong with non lethal protection methods? Pepperspray, Tasers and Taser-guns as well as riot control pellet bombs or flash-bang grenades come to mind.

Let me ask this: What's the statistical prevalence of homeowners being killed or seriously harmed by unknown (to them) house invaders?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
"Don't move!" a homeowner recalled telling a burglar after he heard a noise, grabbed his gun and found the unwanted visitor running through his home. The burglar did not comply, forcing the homeowner to fire a shot, wounding him. The burglar fell to the ground and the homeowner commenced holding him at gunpoint. To the homeowner's astonishment, the burglar handed him a cell phone and asked him to call 9-1-1. Unfortunately, when the homeowner unlocked the door for police, the burglar made a break for it. "He was moving," the homeowner said. "He hit the fence pretty hard. You could hear him." The suspect is still being sought by police.
(KTRK-TV, Houston, TX, 03/26/11)

Quote:
When a Knoxville, Tenn., man discovered two would-be theives attempting to steal car batteries from behind his home, he drew a firearm and held the suspects at gunpoint. The police arrived shortly thereafter, and both suspects were arrested and charged with theft.
(News Sentinel, Knoxville, TN, 04/07/11)

Quote:
Three 20-something men planned out an attack on a nearby home and decided to carry it out one night. Little did they know, the homeowner would be ready for them. Just after entering the home by breaking down the front door, two of the intruders were met by the homeowner and the end of his shotgun. One of the men fled, while the other was held at gunpoint until the police arrived. The men were charged with burglary and criminal conspiracy.
(The Portland Daily Sun, Portland OR, 09/24/10)

Quote:
Professional Firefighter Craig Moore was returning home when he noticed a pair of snow-covered boots that didn't belong to him. Fearing an intruder was inside, he readied his handgun and began a room-by-room inspection. As he entered an upstairs bedroom, he came face-to-face with a man hiding under a comforter at the foot of the bed. To Moore's further shock, he recognized the man as his neighbor. Moore yelled at him, demanding to know what he was doing in the house and asking if he'd stolen anything. The neighbor cowered and begged Moore not to shoot. As Moore phoned police, the neighbor leapt from a two-story window, ran back inside to retrieve his boots and fled. Police arrested the neighbor, who was out on bail for several other burglaries, and took him to the hospital for treatment of a broken ankle.
(The Record Enterprise, Meredith, NH, 02/17/11)

Quote:
A 77-year-old man awoke to the sound of someone breaking into his home. As it turns out, the intruder was a 24-year-old neighbor who used a pair or 18-inch wooden handles to break a bedroom window and climb in. The homeowner grabbed his gun and fired a shot, causing the man to flee. The police later found the suspect asleep nearby, drunk with a bullet wound to his left arm.
(KTVZ, Chiloquin, OR, 09/04/09)

Quote:
Pike County, Ohio, prosecutor Rob Junk made it easy for a journalist investigating a burglary. In fact, the entire story was essentially one long quote from the prosecutor. "[The armed citizen] was in his home, minding his own business, when these two individuals busted in, at least one of them armed," Junk said. "They trained a gun on him and threatened to kill him. The citizen later had marks on his body where they beat him." The homeowner retrieved a rifle and shot at the men, killing one of them. "The bottom line is that [the criminal] would be alive if he had chosen to obey the law and not burglarize people's houses," said Junk. "Most of our Pike County residents have guns. I have several. If somebody broke into my house, threatened me, my wife and my 5-year-old daughter, I would shoot them dead. Most people around here feel the same way."
(Portsmouth Daily Times, Portsmouth, OH, 02/15/11)

Quote:
A couple in their sixties were awakened by loud, repeated banging on their apartment door. They went downstairs and the husband opened the door-and an intoxicated 28-year-old man pushed them aside and entered the home. The suspect shoved the husband and repeatedly claimed to live in the apartment, ignoring the couple's insistence to the contrary. The couple tried to push the man back out the door, but he punched the man in the groin and shoved the woman. That's when the husband informed the intruder he had a gun and would shoot him if he didn't leave; however, the intruder remained relentless in his assault. The husband fired a shot, killing him.
(Lansing State Journal, Lansing, MI, 02/05/11)

Quote:
Though Rocco Bombara's legs were amputated due to a medical condition, he is far from helpless. "He's not someone to mess with," said his daughter Nicco. "He's pretty tough. He does everything on his own." Rocco also understands that sometimes evil men perceive the physically challenged as easy prey. One such individual attempted to break into Bombara's apartment while his son, daughter and several of their friends were watching television. The intruder crawled halfway inside the window and randomly fired two shots from a rifle. Bombara drew a handgun from his wheelchair and returned a more precise shot, killing the intruder.
(Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Pittsburgh, PA, 01/03/11)

Quote:
It was less than a year ago that Chicago's government was forced to repeal many of its rights-infringing laws, and a southside resident recently joined the growing list of armed citizens owing their lives to the Supreme Court's ruling. Hearing glass breaking in her basement, a 45-year-old got her handgun and confronted two intruders already inside the home. "I was scared for my life," she explained, "I've never been so scared before in my entire life." One of the men wielded a tire iron, and the woman opened fire on him. He fell and died. His accomplice fled. "I thank God that I'm still here," the woman said.
(The Chicago Tribune, Chicago, IL, 02/21/11)

Quote:
When 70-year-old Watson Green discovered a man attempting to break into his home late one evening, he immediately called 9-1-1 and got his handgun. Green advised the 9-1-1 operator that he was armed. The operator told him to put the gun away and wait for the police but Green chose to do otherwise. In fear of his life, Green fired a single shot, killing the suspect. Two weeks prior to his death, the suspect was arrested for burglary in a separate incident. "We've had a lot of break-ins in Hobbs lately," said Hobbs, N.M., Police Officer Mike Stone. "The residents of the home were probably scared."
(KRQE-TV, Albuquerque, NM, 02/23/11)

Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Comments in blue:

Quote:
Most potential homeowners who are pro gun-control have several windows to jump out of, as well as possible back doors and garage exits, not to mention the possible ability to barricade an interior door, whilst calling the police, if escape is impossible.

And just for funsies, lets assume none of those options are available, what's wrong with non lethal protection methods? Pepperspray, Tasers and Taser-guns as well as riot control pellet bombs or flash-bang grenades come to mind.

Less than lethal means are ineffective against lethal force. Again, with all due respect, your outlook is naive at best. You do know that flashbangs following tear gas will make a home uninhabitable, right? (think flash BOOM). You really think that in a second an unarmed homeowner is going to deploy teargas and be masked? Really? It is difficult enough for an armed homeowner with the firearm on his/her person to react quickly enough if a door is breached on the first attempt. A Taser will give the user about a 15 sec. headstart on foot, if the both probes attach and if they are effective. My guess is you've never used a Taser or OC spray or been tased or sprayed. That is close quarters indeed.

Let me ask this: What's the statistical prevalence of homeowners being killed or seriously harmed by unknown (to them) house invaders?
I don't know that a study including these statistics exists. This is but one high profile example:
Connecticut doctor testifies in trial of man accused of killing family - CNN

Again, a naive perspective at best. At worse, you may lose your life one day to the belief of such fodder as you've posted. Real life is not Hollywood. Wake up and get a clue or choose to be a lamb and take your chances of not surviving something which you could have easily chosen to prepare against. No "funsies" about it.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
(KTRK-TV, Houston, TX, 03/26/11)

(News Sentinel, Knoxville, TN, 04/07/11)

(The Portland Daily Sun, Portland OR, 09/24/10)

(The Record Enterprise, Meredith, NH, 02/17/11)

(KTVZ, Chiloquin, OR, 09/04/09)

(Portsmouth Daily Times, Portsmouth, OH, 02/15/11)

(Lansing State Journal, Lansing, MI, 02/05/11)

(Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Pittsburgh, PA, 01/03/11)

(The Chicago Tribune, Chicago, IL, 02/21/11)

(KRQE-TV, Albuquerque, NM, 02/23/11)
All anecdotal, and in a country of 300.000.000 people, not at all that significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Comments in blue:

I don't know that a study including these statistics exists. This is but one high profile example:
Connecticut doctor testifies in trial of man accused of killing family - CNN

Again, a naive perspective at best. At worse, you may lose your life one day to the belief of such fodder as you've posted. Real life is not Hollywood. Wake up and get a clue or choose to be a lamb and take your chances of not surviving something which you could have easily chosen to prepare against. No "funsies" about it.
Regarding your comments in Blue (not quoted), I did not mention tear gas. Flash bang creates a very loud noise and a very bright light, blinding assailants, teargas doesn't enter the picture.

You also neglected to comment on the fact that in most cases of home invasion, you can flee or barricade yourself. Not to mention the fact that most home invasions happen when the owner isn't home.

The likelihood of me or anyone else being killed by an intruder in their own home is non existent, compared to the likelihood of me being killed either by a drunk driver, in traffic or even my own (potentially) bad eating habits.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
Quote:

Some will kill over a dollar .. some will kill 'because' you didn't have a dollar and .. some will kill .. for fun!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
All anecdotal, and in a country of 300.000.000 people, not at all that significant.

Regarding your comments in Blue (not quoted), I did not mention tear gas. Flash bang creates a very loud noise and a very bright light, blinding assailants, teargas doesn't enter the picture. Flashbang grenades often contain a CS or CN (tear gas) irritant.

You also neglected to comment on the fact that in most cases of home invasion, you can flee or barricade yourself. Not to mention the fact that most home invasions happen when the owner isn't home. I deal in reality and not the hypothetical.

The likelihood of me or anyone else being killed by an intruder in their own home is non existent, compared to the likelihood of me being killed either by a drunk driver, in traffic or even my own (potentially) bad eating habits.
I choose to be prepared. YMMV

Old 06-20-2011, 01:44 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Well that was just a few....I got bored cutting and pasting.

Problem with home invasions is it isn't considered a crime in itself.

If it results in a robbery,it is a robbery,a rape makes it rape,murder makes it murder.

That said,it is commonplace enough that there are news stories regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies