Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,460,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I live in a state with no natural disasters and I don't see any churches with their doors open to the homeless. And this is getting off topic. I think it's fair to say that the churches are NOT picking up their fair share of slack. Yet the right wingers want to do away with safety nets.
How do you know churches aren't doing their fair share? Just because you don't see them doing so doesn't mean they aren't. If you do go to church, have you asked the church leaders if you could volunteer to help them with the homeless? Did you sit down wih them and ask what they do to help the homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,981,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Really, what state do you live in that has no hurricanes, tornadoes, earth quakes, wild fires, flooding, or blizzards?
Arizona. We do have fires but not in the metro area.

I have to go do something now. If any of you can figure out why it is that liberals are wrong for wanting safety nets, while it's obvious the right wing and churches allow people to live on the streets when there are perfectly good structures in which to stay, I'll be back later to read!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
I used to volunteer at a homeless shelter. Some of the nicest people I've ever met. They were truly grateful for what they got, and their stories were quite varied.
I've had different experiences.

One thing they had in common....they were all addicts.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
While I agree that the GOP does not run the churches, the "Separation of Church and State" is BS. The goal of the 2nd Amendment is to keep Gov't out of religion as much as possible, not separating religion FROM every aspect of life, seeming as the libs like to do. What this means is that the Fed. Gov't should have no say as to whether someone can have organized prayer in school, for example.

I assume you mean the first amendment, not the second.

Separation of Church and State is not in the constitution. Clearly, the 1st amendment is to protect the people from government imposed, regulated or designated religion. It's what gives us freedom to make our choice without government.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Well, I live in a state with no natural disasters and I don't see any churches with their doors open to the homeless. And this is getting off topic. I think it's fair to say that the churches are NOT picking up their fair share of slack. Yet the right wingers want to do away with safety nets.

You should go to church sometime. Maybe it would open your eyes.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,010,775 times
Well there you have it,Churches are right wing and let people live on the streets. My left wing Church going relatives will be shocked and become atheists in a heartbeat when they hear this.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,193,039 times
Quote:
The right wing is against the liberal safety net system. So...my question is (and republicans espouse this belief that help should come from personal charity and the churches), why aren't the churches flinging their doors open to house the homeless and those in need? Certainly they have plenty of pews (aka benches) and could afford a few sleeping bags from those Sunday collections.

WWJD?
Mmmmm. why aren't the homeless flocking to the churches for handouts?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
The libs are getting desperate now..are churches now considered "rich enough" to pay for your social engineering programs ?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Arizona. We do have fires but not in the metro area.

I have to go do something now. If any of you can figure out why it is that liberals are wrong for wanting safety nets, while it's obvious the right wing and churches allow people to live on the streets when there are perfectly good structures in which to stay, I'll be back later to read!

Phoenix church homeless shelters

Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,771,075 times
Quote:
The right wing is against the liberal safety net system. So...my question is (and republicans espouse this belief that help should come from personal charity and the churches), why aren't the churches flinging their doors open to house the homeless and those in need? Certainly they have plenty of pews (aka benches) and could afford a few sleeping bags from those Sunday collections.

WWJD?

Is this a joke? Are you serious with these questions? Churches open their doors all the time for the homeless and needy. The church I belong too, not only runs a soup kitchen on site, but also helps build HABITAT FOR HUMANITY homes, gives to other churches in need, feeds the needy overseas, etc....Not sure if your just against church or what, but I would hope you would do some research first before you question the charity of others. BTW, what have YOU done lately for the homeless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies