Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which statement below do you most agree with?
The judge should be thrown out of office and the mother pardoned 48 71.64%
The judge should be applauded for his decision 11 16.42%
Spanking isn't good for children but the judge should not have intervened 5 7.46%
The case should make its way to the Supreme Court 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I've read every post in the tread. Did you not read mine? I included links to the AG of Texas talking about spanking. You're correct in saying spanking is not illegal in Texas. However, what this woman did is illegal. If you spank and leave welts or bruises, it is considered child abuse resulting in injury. This women "spanked" her baby to the point of leaving welts and/or bruises (the written articles talk about welts whereas the local news clips title the case "Bruised Baby Case"). The grandparents, doctors, social services, police and the DA all determined the child was injured.

Also, if you listen to what the judge said, he never claimed spanking is against the law in Texas. He, in the context of admonishing a women who admitted to injuring her child, said that what she did - spanking to the point of bruising and leaving welts on a 2 year old baby - is not acceptable even if it was when they were children. All the judge did in this case was accept a plea of guilty, enter the agreed upon judgement (probation and a $50 fine), and then admonish the admitted child abuser for injuring her baby via severe and bruising spanking.

Texas Mom Rosalina Gonzales Sentenced For Spanking

The judge said:

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

This is just a flat out wrong statement that does not reflect Texas law. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Where on earth did you get these ideas?

You learn this the first time you touch a hot stove. For right or wrong it is true.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I asked this question a bit earlier in the thread but it was never answered, wondering if anyone has some insight on this.

When does spanking a child go from non-abusive to abusive?

Your question was answered in post #48.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I asked this question a bit earlier in the thread but it was never answered, wondering if anyone has some insight on this.

When does spanking a child go from non-abusive to abusive?
1. When it is done in anger, to appease the person performing the punishment, rather than being used as a tool to avert certain negative behaviors.

2. When you start leaving welts and bruises. This includes injuries such as broken bones, internal injuries, etc etc. (please note a minor red mark doesn't count, as sometimes the child will move and cause a small red mark instead of a clean swat on the bottom.)

Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I never understood why people think hitting a kid teaches them a positive lesson.
I never understood why its ok for the schools to spank but not the parents

Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
The judge said:

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

This is just a flat out wrong statement that does not reflect Texas law. Period.
Yes - he said that in the context of a women pleading guilty to injurious and illegal spanking. That's they type of spanking he was talking about. Please read it in context.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I went a little deeper than the original article. When you leave marks on a child that are there for doctors to see potentially hours later, that is not a tap.

That is a far stretch from abuse.

How long do red marks have to stay visible for the spanking to be abuse?

And what is your source for this additional information?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Mon frere, I taught children behavior without "getting their attention" by hitting, spanking, or tapping them many times.

Good for you. I taught four children to behave without putting them in a penalty box, standing in the corner or banishing them to their room. Some of those actions leave permanent scars and are probably child abuse.

A little spanking did the trick.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Most effective for what?

Sure, it's most effective for raising a fearful/anxious or angry/aggressive child with low self-esteem and poor cognitive and emotional development. But why would you want to DO that?

Why would you want to do that? Why do you want to cause emotional damage to your child by sending them to a "penalty box" or making them stand in a corner? That would make their self esteem go through the floor.

Sorry, but you ignore the successful parenting of millions of people that included spanking.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I've read every post in the tread. Did you not read mine? I included links to the AG of Texas talking about spanking. You're correct in saying spanking is not illegal in Texas. However, what this woman did is illegal. If you spank and leave welts or bruises, it is considered child abuse resulting in injury. This women "spanked" her baby to the point of leaving welts and/or bruises (the written articles talk about welts whereas the local news clips title the case "Bruised Baby Case"). The grandparents, doctors, social services, police and the DA all determined the child was injured.

Texas Mom Rosalina Gonzales Sentenced For Spanking

So, the bottom line is you have no evidence that there were any welts or bruises.

You just don't like spanking, and that's OK. But millions of parents do and that's OK too. This is not a government issue. It's a child custody issue and an issue about a Judge who doesn't know the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies