Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
When I say over-prescribing, I mean offering meds for a condition that could be treated without meds. Many people won't even try a non-med approach before jumping on the meds. Many doctors suggest and prescribe meds right off the bat. I think we are agreeing but just phrasing it differently.
I understand where you are coming from, but the diseases discussed are really life threatening. I think the better approach is drug therapy combined with other modalities. If the non drug therapies can be adhered to, drugs can be stopped. No one likes taking pills, they would much rather pet a dog. But when the rubber meets the road they don't comply with non drug interventions. I understand why docs do it and 9 times out of 10 they're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
From personal experience, clinical depression does exist and I have it. I had thoughts of suicide back in the late 70s when I was only 10 years old. Came very close to killing myself several times in high school. As I got older, my depression manifested itself in the form of anger and frustration. I was on the verge of loosing my job. Went to a counselor and through a combination of regularly scheduled counseling sessions and medication my family and coworkers all have noticed a big difference. This problem was only recently discovered to be hereditary and several relatives have this condition to varying degrees of severity and outward symptoms. It was hidden among my uncles by decades I'd drugs and alcohol. At first we thought their depression was from their years of abuse. I never used illegal drugs and I drank alcohol from 1990 to 1995 and only three of those years was heavy drinking and even those times were limited because of not being able to drink when at sea. My daughter, 20 years old this August, has also been suffering from anger and depression and she doesn't do drugs or drink.

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You're right, but none of us should take it for granted. Mental illness can strike at any time like diabetes or hypertension.
I agree with you, but the problem is someone like the OP can most likely not even comprehend what it's like to be clinically depressed or have anxiety disorder or have ADD. You can't take for granted what you don't know about.

And, yes, mental illness really cuts across all walks of life. I just wish more people with it would "come out," as it were. They have some bipolar magazine out there and I read an article on Carrie Fisher. There was not too long ago a magazine about Catherine Zeta Jones having BP 2 disorder.

Honestly, I'm always suspect of the psychiatric Dx du jour, but if it helps to eliminate the stigma I am all for it.

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
So interesting that some people seem to think that these maladies descend upon you out of nowhere . . .they strike like monsters in the night . . . where's the reflection on WHY someone all of a sudden has panic attacks or depression (depression is a secondary "situation" - usually unprocessed rage or grief) . . . anxiety is FEAR that gets in your body . . . can be from known or unconscious issues . . .

I don't know how many people here have heard of EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) but it is a super fast (10 minutes?) easy, FREE way to take care of any negative emotions. You can go to YouTube and put any problem + EFT into the search engine and try it (some of the people talk too fast . . .I like Brad Yates or "EFT Bites")

Some people are just too dull or lazy to look into anything more than popping pills. The "TV People" who believe whatever they hear on TV, including the commercials for drugs . . .

Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Mental Illness, mental schmilness . . . Check out John Weir Perry - "The Far Side of Madness" or Stanislov Grof on Spiritual Emergence.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
So interesting that some people seem to think that these maladies descend upon you out of nowhere . . .they strike like monsters in the night . . . where's the reflection on WHY someone all of a sudden has panic attacks or depression (depression is a secondary "situation" - usually unprocessed rage or grief) . . . anxiety is FEAR that gets in your body . . . can be from known or unconscious issues . . .

I don't know how many people here have heard of EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) but it is a super fast (10 minutes?) easy, FREE way to take care of any negative emotions. You can go to YouTube and put any problem + EFT into the search engine and try it (some of the people talk too fast . . .I like Brad Yates or "EFT Bites")

Some people are just too dull or lazy to look into anything more than popping pills. The "TV People" who believe whatever they hear on TV, including the commercials for drugs . . .
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about mental illness.

Just why is it that people can understand things like asthma (which I have), hypertension (which I have), but when it comes to the other things I have, all of a sudden I don't really have them?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about mental illness.

Just why is it that people can understand things like asthma (which I have), hypertension (which I have), but when it comes to the other things I have, all of a sudden I don't really have them?
The guy is pitching a product, ignore him.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM

SailorDave: Have you ever asked yourself WHY everyone in your family is depressed? It is not passed down like brown eyes!!!

People are so brainwashed it is ridiculous!!!!

If you are depressed, ask yourself WHY. There is a reason. Work on it.

If you are ANGRY, ask yourself WHY. There is a reason. Work on it.

OMG!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do they exist, or is it just a way drug companies can find away to get people to buy their pills?
yes they do exist. however they are also over diagnosed.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm watching an infomercial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies