Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

Btw, if labels are to be completely trustworthy, they'd remove 'calories' from it and leave sodium and carbohydrates. Even fat isn't as big a concern as carbs. Labels are getting better, slowly. If the fed wants to help in this area, fine, push for education in schools on how to educate ourselves on labels. Don't try to choose FOR me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
If the fed wants to help in this area, fine, push for education in schools on how to educate ourselves on labels. Don't try to choose FOR me.
I think that's a fair argument. The problem is that the industry won't regulate itself. They are only after the bottom line. What is the solution, if it's not government regulations? I think it's too idealistic to believe that the general public would make good food choices and force the industry into regulations on its own.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You're dog isn't that free because you have trained him and exert control on his behavior. A wild animal that hasn't learned what it means to sit or stay for a treat or to scratch the door to go outside to relieve itself is much more free than the educated dog under your roof. It's a nice philosophical point, but flawed.
Isn't that free requires that understanding, which comes from knowledge of what it takes to do better. Without much ado, I just quote the following wise words and move on...

"A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support."
- Thomas Paine

I'm pretty sure the idea here was knowledge as opposed to ignorance, as a tool towards liberty.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Btw, if labels are to be completely trustworthy, they'd remove 'calories' from it and leave sodium and carbohydrates. Even fat isn't as big a concern as carbs. Labels are getting better, slowly. If the fed wants to help in this area, fine, push for education in schools on how to educate ourselves on labels. Don't try to choose FOR me.
So you think labels have some value?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Genetically modified corn is more dangerous to your health than a lifetime of smoking tobacco products.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You know, packaged food didn't ALWAYS have nutrition labels on it. I'll bet when it first became mandatory to disclose that information on the package the same players were totally UPSET about THAT. "Ooo, it's going to raise prices because it's going to cost the manufacturer's more", yadda, yadda.

Now you take it for granted!

LOL
I remember the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act of 1965. It became law in 1967, and the biggest controvertial issue at the time was the additional cost that the labels would add to the product. The government was not banning safe products then, like they are now. They merely made information about the product available to the consumer, and the consumer made the choice whether or not to buy the product. Now neither the consumer nor the manufacturer will have that choice.

Anyone who takes their liberties for granted does not deserve them.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I think that's a fair argument. The problem is that the industry won't regulate itself. They are only after the bottom line. What is the solution, if it's not government regulations? I think it's too idealistic to believe that the general public would make good food choices and force the industry into regulations on its own.
There are countless things that could be viewed as a threat to people, not just food. Speeding and other bad driving habits, some sports and hobbies, just to name a couple. But they are choices. Choices--good and bad--have consequences--good and bad. If this is allowed--regulate what you can and can't eat-- it's just one step closer to waking up with the fed in your bed.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What ever happened to self determination, and personal freedom?
it went out the door when Americans decided that they wanted society to provide them with healthcare. since healthcare is ultimately socialized, I support this kind of regulation to help keep American children from becoming waddling megafauna.

I think a better idea would be to have two classes of Americans

class A supports themselves financially, and gets the freedom to make their own choices.

class B relies on the government for financial support, and has to eat whatever the government tells them.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Just wait. Instead of crack, the corner drug dealer will be selling 2 liter bottles of Coca Cola, chips and butter from a cooler in his trunk.

Let's get rid of these clowns in 2012 before they're auditing our supermarket cards and are in our homes and going through our refrigerators.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So you think labels have some value?
Some is the operative word. I'm just learning to educate myself on label reading and was shocked to learn calories is a useless thing on labels, that low-fat more often than not means replaced with more carbs or sodium, etc. There's a lot to know but the internet is loaded with information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies