Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support reparations?
Yes 27 9.57%
No 255 90.43%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The welfare checks and lowered job requirements for this ethnic group more than make up for any reparation payment they would receive.

Just how would blacks qualify for this reparation money?

How can any black person PROVE their great great great great grandparents were imported from Africa?

Can't use the color of their skin, that's discrimination

And another thing.... many who were imported into this country were captured by other African tribes and then sold to the slavers on the coast.

Aren't those African tribes responsible for paying reparations too? If they didn't originally take people as slaves then those people (the slaves) would not have wound up in America......
I voted NO but let me answer your questions Whites - Caucasians are getting the Lion Share of The Welfare Checks here in America and Job Requirements are the same for Blacks and Whites[

You prove your kinship to former slaves through Government Records
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I believe we owe reparations to anyone in this country who has actually been a slave. I also believe any slave owner should be incarcerated.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Absolutely NOT !!!

I and my ancestors didn't own any slaves in the USA, if this is an issue take it up with the descendants of slave owners, Dutch East India Company ( and other slave traders) and most of all other AFRICANS that sold slaves and profited.

Better yet go out and work for a living instead of entertaining this pipe dream.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
Anyone who is being held as a slave, deserves to be compensated and the "owners" need to be incarcerated.

Where are these slaves being held?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Maybe it is the whites who should get reparations from blacks.

After all it was their black brothers who sold the blacks to the whites causing whites all this anguish!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Absolutely NOT !!!

I and my ancestors didn't own any slaves in the USA, if this is an issue take it up with the descendants of slave owners, Dutch East India Company ( and other slave traders) and most of all other AFRICANS that sold slaves and profited.

Better yet go out and work for a living instead of entertaining this pipe dream.
Seems to me that the op and the respondents to this thread are the only ones entertaining this dream.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe it is the whites who should get reparations from blacks.

After all it was their black brothers who sold the blacks to the whites causing whites all this anguish!
Actually, this is close to accurate (and I know you were making a joke).

If reparations (ignorant and absurd, but let's go with it) are required to "apologize" to black Americans in 2013 for "crimes" that happened prior to 1863, then they should be paid by the descendants of those who actually enslaved them and put them up for sale, at least the majority of the payment anyway. So all the nations in Western Africa need to pony up, since it was conquering tribal warlords in Western Africa who enslaved the defeated tribes and then sold them to white slavers from Europe and North & South America to buy weapons and protection that would consolidate their power.

Biggest misconception about African slavery is who did the actual capturing and enslaving. Just like slavery in modern day Africa (yes, it still exists), it was Africans capturing, enslaving and selling other Africans.

So the reparations movement should start with the real historical criminals if they want historical justice done, and that means start in Africa and get most of your money from them.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:02 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yes, there is... there are a ****load of people who get promoted despite that they're incompetent because they have the right connections, and a lot of those people tend to be white. Would you describe the way the overwhelmingly white bankers handled the financial crisis as commendable or so poor that we're still feeling the effects of it 4 years later? You can tell yourself that whites are overrepresented in the job world because they're better qualified but the reality is that it's because they're better connected... that's what happens when your ancestors were allowed to be upwardly mobile.
I agree, but what's the solution? People like to hire people they know or are vouched for by someone they know. I think more black people should try to open their own businesses. Maybe they would have to partner with family members like the new immigr ants tend to do (I.e., Asians, Greeks, Hispanics, etc.). Or, join witj the Black Chamber of Commerce and oppose amnesty for illegals. It hurts the black community the most.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
They've received 'reparations' 10 times over in the past 50 years.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I voted NO but let me answer your questions Whites - Caucasians are getting the Lion Share of The Welfare Checks here in America and Job Requirements are the same for Blacks and Whites[

You prove your kinship to former slaves through Government Records
Whites are only getting the larger share of welfare because they are the largest numbers in our population. This ain't rocket science, you know. In proportion to their population numbers it is actually minorities that are getting more welfare checks percentage wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies