Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why, because they issue statements asking for folks to withhold judgement until an investigation can be completed? Because they protect the Constitutional rights of their members? Because they are duty bound to represent all of their members equally or at least until such a time that they are found guilty of misconduct or a crime? These are the unholy acts that require unions to be outlawed. What's next for you outlawing public defenders? Why stop there why not just do away with the 4th, 5th, 6th Amendments while we're at it.

You original intent constitutionalist never ****ing cease to amaze me!

Special legal protections for the agent of the state?

The police are going to investigate the police?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

You know .... how funny would it be if the Police tried to arrest YOU ... and you just told them ... back off boys ... I'll put my internal affairs division right to work on this investigation, and I'll get back to you if we find any evidence of wrong doing on my part

Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
It's a shame, I now hide my head in shame when my friends ask me about today's police officers.

I've been in shoot outs and I have shot people, but every single one of them had a gun and it was pointed at me or they were firing at me.

Many more times it was a matter of talking, wrestling, beating, or numerically overwhelming a resisting suspect, we used mace, cs, ASP batons, and some of the old timers used black jacks or saps (very effective) today's officer is too quick to escalate the small things.

Officers used to get off work, we had our private bars and we got drunk, felt on private dancers, played cards, and talked *****. Anything to decompress before we went home or came back to work.

Where I worked, the union payed for an Olympic level weight room and I spent 90 minutes every other day lifting, it relieved stress and guaranteed that if I had to hit someone two times usually did the trick.

This officer is going to kill again, wound someone, harass someone, or frame someone. The officers I worked with would shun him for years.
My son is now attemtping to negotiate adult life, but when he was young we lived in a socal community. He was playing with a little boy at the park and I was talking to the little boys grandmother and we were both talking about moving. She said her husband had been on the pd for years, and had two more before he could retire, but was nearly ready to quit. What he saw in attitudes, and especially the militirzation of police, made him so uneasy he didn't feel comfortable in his job. He didn't complain about it either.

Now, she had a biased point of view, true, but this isn't the only such account I've seen. When they decided to make the police like the civilian contol arm of the military, then it started. How many people are afraid of police today? Attitudes like this may not be typical, but that its tolearated is a sign that perhaps in lesser degree its the norm.

And when its clear by the attitude and the uniforms and the image that all reeks of authority, who do you think is going to want to be a cop? The guy who wants to be civil and fair and do justice in the face of the image built today, or someone who *likes* that image?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
The gradual breakdown of "responsibility with consequences" leads to this type of environment.

Teachers told to keep hands off and suck it up with no disciplinary tactics to fall back on commence the whole process of lack of respect for any societal conventions.

Young people are learning at a very young age now, that they can challenge authority at every turn hence this kids "where's your warrant" when faced with two armed cops. Is it any wonder police forces are taking on the mentality of "go in tough and stay tough" when they respond to any call.

How do you give people the training required to take verbal crap day in and day out then forget all that when they're faced with the proverbial 'straw that broke the camel's back' in the form of a lippy young tough guy who "know's his rights" and challenges you at every word you say.

I give full credit to those officers who would arrive at a scene like that and while one remains safely out of reach, the other sits down across from the kid and says something like "O.K. whats the deal here and how can we handle this so as not to rachet it up any further than it already is?"

Cops are trained to use the adrenaline that builds as they're responding as a "tool of survival" being wound up tight enough to notice every bead of sweat on the perp's upper lip. They might respond gently to twenty scenes with success and then that 21'st brings the $50 Star 45 out from between the couch cushions to ruin everyone's day.

I give the good ones full credit for performing a very thankless job. The bad ones could be screened out early if they were even halfways diligent.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:

What special legal protections would those be?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Happens every day. Or do you think the cops that go to trial for criminal wrong doing get there by osmosis? The only problem that I have with brutal and oft times murderous cops are the citizens that sit on juries and buy into their "special place" in society.

Cops investigated and arrested the cops in the Rodney King case, Cops, investigated and arrested their fellow officers in the Abner Louima brutality case, cops investigated and arrested other cops in the BART transit shooting. I could go on for several pages, so I'm not feeling your point.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
He should be executed.

This was 1st degree murder.

What I find amazing is the take from the left.

The Constitution only matters when they want it to.

The death penalty should only be used when they are comfortable with it.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He should be executed.

This was 1st degree murder.

What I find amazing is the take from the left.

The Constitution only matters when they want it to.

The death penalty should only be used when they are comfortable with it.
Murder in the line of duty is the ultimate hate crime.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The gradual breakdown of "responsibility with consequences" leads to this type of environment.

Teachers told to keep hands off and suck it up with no disciplinary tactics to fall back on commence the whole process of lack of respect for any societal conventions.

Young people are learning at a very young age now, that they can challenge authority at every turn hence this kids "where's your warrant" when faced with two armed cops. Is it any wonder police forces are taking on the mentality of "go in tough and stay tough" when they respond to any call.

How do you give people the training required to take verbal crap day in and day out then forget all that when they're faced with the proverbial 'straw that broke the camel's back' in the form of a lippy young tough guy who "know's his rights" and challenges you at every word you say.

I give full credit to those officers who would arrive at a scene like that and while one remains safely out of reach, the other sits down across from the kid and says something like "O.K. whats the deal here and how can we handle this so as not to rachet it up any further than it already is?"

Cops are trained to use the adrenaline that builds as they're responding as a "tool of survival" being wound up tight enough to notice every bead of sweat on the perp's upper lip. They might respond gently to twenty scenes with success and then that 21'st brings the $50 Star 45 out from between the couch cushions to ruin everyone's day.

I give the good ones full credit for performing a very thankless job. The bad ones could be screened out early if they were even halfways diligent.
Big point missed here. The suspect should ask for the warrent, demand their rights and every legal nitpick. When that gets ignored it breaks both the public's will to cooperate willingly more and threatens the basis of laws if they are disregarded. Citizens rights trump all in a civilized society. And if arrested and its established that said things were disregarded it should lead to immediate dropping of charges to enforce the laws better on the police.

What happens is people unless they absolutely have to don't report things because they don't trust cops and they don't want to deal with them. Why? Because of attitude that everyone is a suspect and because the rules are disregarded. If it means that people don't avail themselves of the protections of police when they should out of fear or disgust, doesn't this offset the loss of abuse power police might have? My guess would be if citizens did trust police and police didn't look at all of them as potential enemies, then the system would work much better.

And yes, the good ones should be congratulated, since no doubt in that atmosphere its probably hard not to change. But strict and absolute psychological screening for those who want to play power, so they do NOT even come close, would make a large difference. But it won't happen since it would screen out too many possibilities. And as was said, if they cared.

How is it hard not to see that if so many citizens are afraid of the police there is something very rotten at the core?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
f the police http://thankyoubasedgod.com/forum/images/smilies/dancingcool.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies