Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times

Advertisements

I'm not big on economics (my expertise is foreign policy), but I know one thing. We SERIOUSLY NEED to start cutting spending.

We are $13 trillion dollars in debt, and people are calling for Conservatives' heads for wanting to cut medicare/caid.

Well, here's, uh a news flash: We need to cut spending in EVERYTHING! This country is in horrible shape. We can't choose what to cut and what to not cut. It's too late for that.

We need to cut spending ( and not a small cut, I mean drastic cuts) and let businesses and corporations breathe. Cut off environmental regulations (at least for now), cut corporate taxes, and start to tackle this debt problem seriously.

Paul Ryan's plan was a great idea. It pissed off a load of people, but guess what? I don't see anyone else putting up any serious spending cuts, or budget plans.

We must cut everything, even Defense (which is hard for me to personally agree to), medicare/ medicaid, ethanol subsidies, etc...

$13 trillion dollars wont disappear because we want it to. Obama's like fantasy world won't make it go away either.

a 9.1% unemployment rate won't just randomly go away. We have no jobs, and Obama is punishing Texas for creating 48% of all new jobs created by slapping ridiculous environmental regulations on them.

When will our leaders take ANYTHING seriously?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Sure makes you wonder when and if we will ever get out of the nightmare of a depression

so we literally have been in the hell hole now for how long?
going literally on 4 years?

My god this is a terrible time in this nations history and you would think by now every single american would be pissed

there are no jobs, no middle class anymore (eroding)
Fat cat companies are playing state vs state for tax exemptions
healthcare is sky high at the same time the companies are making huge profits. Kind of reminds me of the oil companies

energy is out of control if with the talk of green cars, wind and solar etc
fighting how many wars now?

spending money on Afghanastan when all this should be spent here building infrastructure and getting our country in order

time to retool america
this is getting beyond anything short of insanity
and we have an out of touch congress and senate out of touch state politics and an out of touch president

voted for the guy one time and one time only at this point i dont care who is running against the guy vote him and your senators and congress reps out of office

Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I'm not big on economics (my expertise is foreign policy), but I know one thing. We SERIOUSLY NEED to start cutting spending.

We are $13 trillion dollars in debt, and people are calling for Conservatives' heads for wanting to cut medicare/caid.

Well, here's, uh a news flash: We need to cut spending in EVERYTHING! This country is in horrible shape. We can't choose what to cut and what to not cut. It's too late for that.

We need to cut spending ( and not a small cut, I mean drastic cuts) and let businesses and corporations breathe. Cut off environmental regulations (at least for now), cut corporate taxes, and start to tackle this debt problem seriously.

Paul Ryan's plan was a great idea. It pissed off a load of people, but guess what? I don't see anyone else putting up any serious spending cuts, or budget plans.

We must cut everything, even Defense (which is hard for me to personally agree to), medicare/ medicaid, ethanol subsidies, etc...

$13 trillion dollars wont disappear because we want it to. Obama's like fantasy world won't make it go away either.

a 9.1% unemployment rate won't just randomly go away. We have no jobs, and Obama is punishing Texas for creating 48% of all new jobs created by slapping ridiculous environmental regulations on them.

Ryans budget was a joke. It was an increase. Here you are talking about cuts yet you want Ryans plan that actually increases debt.
Ryan and most members of Congress do not want budget cuts, period. If they did we would already have a budget with actual cuts.

All the proposed budgets were an increase by the fake small government frauds. The only budget with cuts was put out by Rand Paul of the Tea Party. If you want this country to stay in debt keep electing the same big government politicians.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:

We are $13 trillion dollars in debt, and people are calling for Conservatives' heads for wanting to cut Medicare/caid.

We must cut everything, even Defense (which is hard for me to personally agree to), Medicare/ medicaid, ethanol subsidies, etc...

Our big businesses and corporations have been breathing for years, sending jobs overseas and paying less to workers there costing American jobs.

All these politician's have good health insurance paid by the govt, why don't they give it up and pay for it themselves if they are so concerned, its not like they don't have the money. Who was the one politician who said he has health ins thru govt because its free, I saw that on TV a few weeks ago.

Paul Ryan? I can't say the words, he should be ashamed.

Why keep blaming Obama for everything? Most Americans are fed up with the bashing, its not the way for the R to win an election.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:04 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
The problem with trying to cut the debt is you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Any cuts will cause unemployment to go up. Which is currently a hot potato. How about we start with something simple. Stop all capitol hill book printing and switch it over to CD/DVD printing. We could save nearly $500 million yearly.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/44C7.txt

But wait, that affects big business. How many jobs will be lost in related sub-contracts?

Military. how about we stop being the worlds police officers. Pull our people out of Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Afganistan, Iraq. Well that turns into a glut of soldiers. Time to terminate 250,000 of them.
But wait, that affects big business too. How many jobs will be lost in related sub-contracts?

Medicare/Medicaid. Privatize it and let Anthem BlueCross/Blue Shield have the contract. The problem is not the funding of it, its the procedures used to spend the money.

Cut off environmental regulations. Reagan did that. Killed EPA and removed the solar panels from the white house that Carter installed.

Quote:
The problem is on both sides of the aisle. Scapegoating Obama for not repairing in three years all the damage that was done in eight years before him. Its easy to break something. It never takes less time to repair it. Lets put in a reality check and put things into perspective. It takes 1 second to get a flat tire, but it will take at least 900 seconds to repair it.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 AM

425 posts, read 653,426 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more that the US Govt and American People need to get real on spending. No program should be immune, including (and especially) entitlements and defense.

But cutting corporate taxes will actually increase the deficit in the short run, not reduce it. Now those who believe in the Laffer Curve would argue that the short run shortfall in tax revenue would be more than made up in the long run by increased economic output. This may be true, but only if a) we're currently above the point of tax/revenue equilibrium and b) the curve is symmetrical. I'm not so sure you can prove either assumption, so cutting the corporate tax rate may not produce the result you expect.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Our big businesses and corporations have been breathing for years, sending jobs overseas and paying less to workers there costing American jobs.
True. I see American corporations reaping billions in profits AND not paying federal taxes. People - regular people - are earning less (if they are employed), there are more minimum wage jobs, the possibility of building a career may be for many a pipe dream, and the rich - not the over $250K crowd, but *really* rich - keep getting richer and richer.

If there is a second American Revolution, it won't be fought between political parties, between liberals and conservatives, between majorities and minorities ... it will be between the have-a-lots and they have-not-enoughs.

Quote:
All these politician's have good health insurance paid by the govt, why don't they give it up and pay for it themselves if they are so concerned, its not like they don't have the money. Who was the one politician who said he has health ins thru govt because its free, I saw that on TV a few weeks ago.
Whoever it was, it was NOT a Member of Congress (unless, as they often do, they were misstating the facts). Members of Congress who elect to participate in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan, pay a percentage of the plan's premiums and whatever copays and deductibles the plan calls for.

Quote:
Why keep blaming Obama for everything? Most Americans are fed up with the bashing, its not the way for the R to win an election.
It's a sad aspect of human nature to want to find someone to blame for whatever is wrong with our lives. Unfortunately for us all, negative campaigning works with enough voters to make it an attractive option.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:09 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Why does Obama keep blaming it on Bush? Whos' been out of office for 3 years?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Democrats have yet to put forth a plan to cut spending, which says they have ZERO desire to cut spending in this nation. As American's, they fail to see how their partisan purity is the reason we are destined for economic collapse. I find that to be particularly shameful.

PS. I hope you're cocked and loaded for the Democratic National Convention there in Charlotte in a few months. Smack a few Liberals for me if you get a chance. (I'm from the Charlotte area originially, but can't be there to do it myself, unfortunately)

Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM

139 posts, read 260,663 times
Quote:
I think a great place to start would be eliminating the 3 billion a year in aid to Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies