Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times

Advertisements

I'm no racist, I live in California with a ton of Latino and Black friends.

But I just hope more Blacks and Latinos will move solidly into the middle class, with middle class values to move up the social ladder like value for education and pursuing a career. Right now, I think the problem haunting these two communities are low expectations and lack of guidance.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
How ignorant is your statement? Only the uneducated could actually think that there is some sort of Affirmative Action program that graduates people from college or that every non-White (or non-Asian)student is an Affirmative Action admit.
Keep in mind racism and bigotry is driven by ignorance, hatred and fear. You shouldn't be surprised by some of the TOTALLY UNINFORMED REMARKS YOU SEE HERE!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Exactly, he is looking at the numbers in an odd way... As I said in post #142... thinks aren't as peachy as people would like to believe.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19729198-post142.html

Educational Attainment by Race & Origin, 1940–2007: Population 25 Years & Older — Infoplease.com

In 1960, only 3.5% of blacks had a college degree, now its about 18.5%. So sure, that means the number of blacks with a college degree is five times higher than it was in 1960.

Of course, in 1960, only 8.1% of whites had a college degree. Now it is around 31.8%. Which means the number of whites with a college degree has about quadrupled in the 50-year time period.

This sounds good when you say it that way, but you could also say. "Over the past 50 years, the percentage of blacks with a college degree has gone up by 15%, and in the same 50 years, the percentage of whites with a college degree has gone up 23.7%". Doesn't sounds so great that way does it?

So yes, most of the difference is just that employers demand individuals to be college-educated, so more and more people are going to college.

Keep in mind, these numbers are the result of affirmative-action and other special priviledges for minorities. I would assume the numbers might be much different without such programs.

It isn't that affirmative-action graduates people from college. The problem with affirmative-action is that, it definitely gives certain individuals more of a boost or an incentive to go to college, by making it so easy to get in(especially with the myriad of scholarships for African-Americans only). The existence of such a program generally boosts minority graduation rates, but I would speculate that it actually lowers graduation rates for others(especially in certain fields). If you look things at things like scholarships or a person trying to get into medical field, there are usually only so many "slots". For every minority that is allowed to go into medical school with scores lower than their classmates, just because they are black or native-American or whatever. That means theres one less person who actually did deserve that slot that didn't get to go.
Have you ever been to college? That don't give cut any slack on grades when it comes race. If anything some teachers can be even harder on non-White students if they don't think they "Belong" in a particular college or university.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But who are you to say that someone did or did not "deserve" to get into a certain college or to state that they only got in because of their race? Once that student gets in to the respective school, they must make the grade and they do. I never see the same people who complain about race/ethnicity being a factor in college admissions also complaining about the students who are admitted based on family connections/financial contributions. Why aren't you just as "outraged" when a less than academically stellar student is admitted because their father sits on the board at the school?

And regarding scholarships, I have posted numerous links on this forum to scholarships that are offered exclusively to people of European descent. Often times I believe that White people are so beholden to the incorrect assumption that there are only scholarships for Black students that they neglect to actually seek on the numerous scholarships that available to them based on their race/ethnicity/heritage. Its laziness on the part of White students who do not seek out these scholarships which a 2 minute Google search would reveal.
As I recall, Berkeley was taken to court because of their refusing to admit a well qualified white male. Have you heard of the Berkeley Cookie sale which is a product of their students? The charge for a cookie is based on race and of course, white students paid the highest rate.

Some universities complain that they can no longer do remedial work with unqualified students and are leaving it up to the community colleges to try to bridge the gap. Did anyone notice that high school graduates don't even have a fundamental knowledge of American history? Sadly, that leaves them vulnerable to not knowing the huge contributions the U.S. has made to the world and so they buy into foreign hate of this country and its hightly qualified and talented people.

When I worked for a local college district they would request applicant lists of non-whites from a Sacramento agency so they could load the hiring pool to meet their so called "non-white" preference but they would not call themselves racists. If the hiring committee chose the well qualified white, HR would tell them they had to make another choice. The result is a decline in the value of college instruction which is reflected in quality of their "graduates".

The Clintons like to tell the rest of us how we should live but they don't marry outside of their own race, so they shouldn't tell anyone else how to live. Hopefully, they will increase the white population.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Tax payment is based on income, your ability to maximize whatever advantages the taxation system give you and nothing else.
OK. And that didn't answer my question. Don't bite the hand that literally feeds you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Keep in mind racism and bigotry is driven by ignorance, hatred and fear. You shouldn't be surprised by some of the TOTALLY UNINFORMED REMARKS YOU SEE HERE!
Exactly, it why I normally find it pointless to attempt a discussion on race with a racist
Casper

Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 AM

The first step in finding a solution is to define the problem.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
The first step in finding a solution is to define the problem.
Then we need to stop making up fantasies like this:

When I worked for a local college district they would request applicant lists of non-whites from a Sacramento agency so they could load the hiring pool to meet their so called "non-white" preference but they would not call themselves racists. If the hiring committee chose the well qualified white, HR would tell them they had to make another choice. The result is a decline in the value of college instruction which is reflected in quality of their "graduates".

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
sigh.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Then we need to stop making up fantasies like this:

That is what I saw with my own eyes and heard. How can you deny that when you weren't even there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies