Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 05:09 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times

Advertisements

Another poster put up a piece about someone who committed a robbery to get health insurance. Well here is someone who allegedly killed over health insurance.

Loss of health insurance sparked fast and horrific fall for accused pharmacy killer David Laffer

BY Christina Boyle and Helen Kennedy
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, June 23rd 2011, 4:00 AM

David Laffer's life began falling apart two weeks ago.

The former Army private, who worked for years as a shipping clerk at scale manufacturer Cosa Xentaur in Yaphank, L.I., was fired, reportedly for stealing.

That meant no more health insurance - and no more prescription pills.

The loss of health coverage was a blow, said Joanna Martino, a one-time friend of Laffer's pill-popping wife, Melinda Brady.

"This past weekend, Melinda was trying to find out if anyone knew what hospital she can go to to get a 'scrip for pain pills," Martino said.

There were other signs of desperation: Laffer, who'd had minor tax judgments against him in the past, signed up for food stamps Friday, Newsday reported.

As Laffer and his wife were taken away in handcuffs Wednesday, those who knew them struggled to understand how he could have fallen so far.

David Laffer lived with Melinda and his mother, Pam, in the comfortable two-story home where he grew up. His father, Gary, died of a heart attack in 1996. Both his parents were teachers, as is his sister Tara.

Laffer graduated from Patchogue-Medford High School in 1995 and went into the Army, where he was an intelligence analyst, the Pentagon said. He was discharged in April 2002 as a private first class.

His Facebook page identifies two interests: the Springfield XD semi-automatic pistol, and Defining Shots, a photo studio in Commack.

In a 2009 Daily News wedding announcement, Laffer said he met his wife at dinner with mutual friends in 2005.

A big hockey fan, he proposed in grand style at an Islanders game, asking Brady to marry him at Nassau Coliseum.

"The question appeared up on the score board. It said, Melinda, will you marry me? Love David.' I was shocked and surprised. I was so happy," she said in another announcement.

Since he is Jewish and she is Christian, they had an interfaith ceremony that included traditions from both religions.

In a comment he posted under their online wedding announcement, Laffer joked about how he hated Brady's dog, Max.

"Max needs to be 'accidentally misplaced' somewhere outside of North Dakota. As I am typing this, Melinda is constantly saying that I am mean. That does not change the fact, I hate her dog. But, I love my wife."

Laffer was described by neighbors as a quiet and inoffensive man.

"It can't be him. It just can't be. This is a nightmare," said Ziada Ayala, his next-door neighbor on the street of manicured lawns and pools.

His uncle, Alan Laffer, once a senior salesman for painkiller maker Endo Pharmaceuticals, said he'd been out of touch for several years.

"I love my nephew to death but I don't see him very much," he said. "It just totally stuns me."

cboyle@nydailynews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
I swear that I would need a xanax, Jerry Springer AND Muary Povich before I could even begin to understand that story.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
No, he killed because he is a heartless subhuman junkie as is his wife. They both should get one last very large dose of they went to the pharmacy for.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times
He lost his job because he stole from his employer.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Another poster put up a piece about someone who committed a robbery to get health insurance. Well here is someone who allegedly killed over health insurance.

Loss of health insurance sparked fast and horrific fall for accused pharmacy killer David Laffer

BY Christina Boyle and Helen Kennedy
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, June 23rd 2011, 4:00 AM

David Laffer's life began falling apart two weeks ago.

The former Army private, who worked for years as a shipping clerk at scale manufacturer Cosa Xentaur in Yaphank, L.I., was fired, reportedly for stealing.

That meant no more health insurance - and no more prescription pills.

The loss of health coverage was a blow, said Joanna Martino, a one-time friend of Laffer's pill-popping wife, Melinda Brady.

"This past weekend, Melinda was trying to find out if anyone knew what hospital she can go to to get a 'scrip for pain pills," Martino said.

There were other signs of desperation: Laffer, who'd had minor tax judgments against him in the past, signed up for food stamps Friday, Newsday reported.

As Laffer and his wife were taken away in handcuffs Wednesday, those who knew them struggled to understand how he could have fallen so far.

David Laffer lived with Melinda and his mother, Pam, in the comfortable two-story home where he grew up. His father, Gary, died of a heart attack in 1996. Both his parents were teachers, as is his sister Tara.

Laffer graduated from Patchogue-Medford High School in 1995 and went into the Army, where he was an intelligence analyst, the Pentagon said. He was discharged in April 2002 as a private first class.

His Facebook page identifies two interests: the Springfield XD semi-automatic pistol, and Defining Shots, a photo studio in Commack.

In a 2009 Daily News wedding announcement, Laffer said he met his wife at dinner with mutual friends in 2005.

A big hockey fan, he proposed in grand style at an Islanders game, asking Brady to marry him at Nassau Coliseum.

"The question appeared up on the score board. It said, Melinda, will you marry me? Love David.' I was shocked and surprised. I was so happy," she said in another announcement.

Since he is Jewish and she is Christian, they had an interfaith ceremony that included traditions from both religions.

In a comment he posted under their online wedding announcement, Laffer joked about how he hated Brady's dog, Max.

"Max needs to be 'accidentally misplaced' somewhere outside of North Dakota. As I am typing this, Melinda is constantly saying that I am mean. That does not change the fact, I hate her dog. But, I love my wife."

Laffer was described by neighbors as a quiet and inoffensive man.

"It can't be him. It just can't be. This is a nightmare," said Ziada Ayala, his next-door neighbor on the street of manicured lawns and pools.

His uncle, Alan Laffer, once a senior salesman for painkiller maker Endo Pharmaceuticals, said he'd been out of touch for several years.

"I love my nephew to death but I don't see him very much," he said. "It just totally stuns me."

cboyle@nydailynews.com
I thought vets were covered for life?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
He killed because he is a dope fiend and nothing would stand in the way of him getting his dope!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Friggin' junkies!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Misleading thread title. Junkie couple gone bad.
Having health insurance would not have saved this guy.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Wait, didn't he get the pills before he killed everybody in the store?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Misleading OP. He didn't kill becuase he lost health insurance. You might argue he robbed because of losing health insurance. There was no need to murder 4 people. He and his fellow pill popping skenk wife deserve everything they get in prison. Its a damn shame NY won't execute these bastards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies