Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times

Advertisements

I guess this decision is going to lessen the holy sanctity of Rush Limbaugh's three previous, failed marriages!

On the bright side, Rush, now you have a convenient excuse for divorcing wife #4:
"My marriage fell apart when the gays started marrying!"

But here in the real world, Massachusetts has the lowest divorce rate in the United States.
I Don't: Divorce Rates by State - The Wall Street Journal Online - Interactive Graphics

One wonders when the anti-marriage clowns are going to finally wake up and figure out that their dire predictions simply have no basis in... you know... reality?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Will it help the economy? Thats the important thing right now. If 2 dudes want to set up house then go right ahead, lets just not lose focus on fixing whats broke.
The ecomony isn't the only thing going on in this country. i know the GOP would like you to think that politically but it isn't.

I just hope this will keep those fat, fannie pack wearing bible belters from touring NYC jamming up the subway as they gaze at the maps before getting swindled by some random Persian dude selling fake Rolex's. Better stay away..The gay is catching.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The gay is catching.
I heard that.

Don't Catch the Gay Video

Congratulations, New York!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Good job NY. I'm really pissed that they passed it before Maryland, god this state is run by inbred rednecks and hardcore religious democrats.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
I did the math, 12% of Americans now live in states where this is legal. This amount has doubled tonight. There are many battles ahead, but we're definitely on the right track.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Kudos to the Republicans who came forward to vote in favor of this, realizing finally that it was about civil rights, not religious beliefs.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
whats going to happen next though? I mean, a straight couple from kentucky can go to new york and be married and their marriage is recognized by kentucky... now what about gay people? because new york doesn't require residency for marriage licenses.. I understand doma is what keeps the states separate, but I think DOMA is going to be teetering on a thin ice soon with such a LARGE and populated state having marriages, not to mention out of state couples getting married and going back to home states to challenge it under the full faith and credit clause...
I've got a TX state issued concealed handgun permit that allows me to exercise my 2nd amendment right however there are a number of states that do not recognize this state issued permit. This isn't the first time this problem has come up in this country.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I did the math, 12% of Americans now live in states where this is legal. This amount has doubled tonight. There are many battles ahead, but we're definitely on the right track.
It's only a matter of time. Those opposed are on the losing side of history, just like the civil right fights that came before.

Imagine if these religious groups raised MILLIONS and instead helped the sick or downtrodden? Rather than spend it in this fight. What a waste of resources and time.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
It does NOTHING to propel our country forward.
Is that what marriage is supposed to be about? Propelling our country forward? Funny, but when I took my vows to my wife about ten years ago I don't recall the minister including this in the service. And if it is, then we're failing miserably at it, considering our divorce rate.

Here's the bottom line: Get over it and worry about YOUR LIFE. Mind your own business and work on your marriage.

The end.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Horrifying. These politicians do not realize the floodgates they have lifted. We are now going to have all sorts of rogue groups coming out of the woodwork wanting to get married. People wanting to marry their dogs, people wanting to marry their washing machine, people wanting to marry a mountain, people wanting to marry their brother and sister. Things are getting uncontrollably ugly really fast.

In the course of a night these politicians have managed to cheapen every marriage in the state of New York. Marriage is no longer a special contract and bond between a man and a woman, but a piece of worthless paper that anyone and everyone can just pick up. Disgusting. This is not progress but the quick dismantling of our once great country.

I will continue to be a liberal Democrat, but I would really like the people in my party to focus on real issues. Issues that don't focus on whether Steve and John can play House.
Oh good grief. Have you always had problems with this sort of delusional hysteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies