Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:17 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where are you getting that??

And as far and I or you or anyone know there is really only one of these "genderless" kids, the one in the OP. And s/he isn't "genderless", the parents just don't want to tell for some wierd reason.
No, the other children are also being raised to do whatever they feel like doing. They are switching between doing girl and boy things, dressing like females when they are male, etc. That is not psychologically healthy. It's one thing to be a tomboy but it's another to be prompted to essentially switch between genders based on one's mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
When I read Gender Neutral, I see raising your kid without restrictions. Not letting todays society dictate how your child's life turns out. Can guys be nurses? Absolutely, but you never see it.
Never see male nurses? Yeah, you definitely need to get out more.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
It doesn't bother me at all because kids turn out however nature intends for them to turn out.

But I am amused by the panic over this, so that's a good thing, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, the other children are also being raised to do whatever they feel like doing. They are switching between doing girl and boy things, dressing like females when they are male, etc. That is not psychologically healthy. It's one thing to be a tomboy but it's another to be prompted to essentially switch between genders based on one's mood.
Actually, it's very psychologically healthy for people to feel free to be whatever they want to be. Some people also call it freedom and liberty, and I think those are good things.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:59 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
He means his daughter is going to learn her place in the kitchen, and the son will learn his place as being free to do what he wants because he's a boy.

Maybe? I'm not so sure. Seriously though, look at what society forces on girls.

Don't be smart, be pretty. Marry young, have lots of kids and no career. Be pretty. Be good at cooking and cleaning to please your man so he doesn't replace you, be pretty.
Nowadays...women are told to be smart and pretty, marry young and have lots of kids with a full-time career. Be good at cooking and cleaning and your job so the household doesn't lose the income. And yes, stay pretty and youthful looking.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 AM

7,812 posts, read 6,389,895 times
A trend? Maybe among liberal freaks, but let's face it, those kids would be doomed already.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Nowadays...women are told to be smart and pretty, marry young and have lots of kids with a full-time career. Be good at cooking and cleaning and your job so the household doesn't lose the income. And yes, stay pretty and youthful looking.
Actually, I believe you have it exactly backwards. Women these days are marrying older, having fewer children, and concentrating on their professional careers/earning capability. More men are stay at home dads than ever before, as well.

Maybe in rural blue collar areas your statements are fact, but I disagree with the overall notion that "nowadays" women are carrying a larger burden than in years past.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Fine. What's wrong with a boy who can cook or a girl who is good with machines?
You honestly just described my wife and I. We have a reverse gender-role household.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"... raising a “genderless” child is a new trend among progressives who believe a child has a “right to choose” what he or she “wants to be.”
Yawn. With all those ramblings, the parent is going to
have to address at some time, the anatomy.
Seriously, if you don't discuss that with your child - they might be scared by what they find.
If the parent just does not want to pin point Johnny or Sue in stereotypes, that's another story.
Children naturally migrate to what they feel comfortable with.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Sorry, but that's been the trend since Ceopatra

Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
"Boy things" and "girl things"? What might those "things" be? I can see a point to knowing one's identity, e.g. male or female, but I don't buy all the rest of the baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Never see male nurses? Yeah, you definitely need to get out more.
Aren't you in the military? There are a lot of male nurses in the military, no? Professional nursing (RN) is about 91% female, last I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies