Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times

Advertisements

"... raising a “genderless” child is a new trend among progressives who believe a child has a “right to choose” what he or she “wants to be.”

Sort of a Trend: Raise Your Kid Totally ‘Gender Neutral’ | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze

I'm not sure how really "new" the basis of this thinking is as many experiments were tried in the 60's/70's trying to show there was no difference between boys and girls. But, of course, at that time we didn't have an Assistant Deputy Secretary for Safe and Drug Free Schools who wrote the foreward to a book called, "Que*ring Elementary Education," which advocates the promotion of gender neutrality in our public schools.

If you agree with the psychiatric community as quoted in this article that,

"To raise a child not as a boy or a girl is creating, in some sense, a freak. It sets them up for not knowing who they are,’ says Dr Eugene Beresin, a child psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital."

or

"Dr Harold Koplewicz, a leading U.S. child psychiatrist, said...‘When children are born, they’re not a blank slate. We do have male brains and female brains,’ he says. ‘There’s a reason why boys do more rough and tumble play; there’s a reason why girls have better language development skills.’"

...then, we have something to be concerned about as this expanding trend starts to touch on all our children within the public school environment as seen in examples pointed out in this article as well as seen in California's mandatory Program to Deal with Gender and Sexual Orientation like the one below where children as young as five years old are taught that there are more than two genders.

Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

"For example, some boys can act like girls; some girls can have boy body parts; and some biological boys feel like a girl inside their hearts, he said."
"It turns out that there are not just two options," he said.

Read more: Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I wouldn't call two parents in Canada raising their kid gender-neutral a trend.

But I don't think it's a good idea. I think society needs to be understanding of transgender people but I don't think that not telling a child (or anyone) its sex is not a good move. I definitely think that males and females are wired differently.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Disgusting. That's the only way to describe it.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"... raising a “genderless” child is a new trend among progressives who believe a child has a “right to choose” what he or she “wants to be.”

Sort of a Trend: Raise Your Kid Totally ‘Gender Neutral’ | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze

I'm not sure how really "new" the basis of this thinking is as many experiments were tried in the 60's/70's trying to show there was no difference between boys and girls. But, of course, at that time we didn't have an Assistant Deputy Secretary for Safe and Drug Free Schools who wrote the foreward to a book called, "Que*ring Elementary Education," which advocates the promotion of gender neutrality in our public schools.

If you agree with the psychiatric community as quoted in this article that,

"To raise a child not as a boy or a girl is creating, in some sense, a freak. It sets them up for not knowing who they are,’ says Dr Eugene Beresin, a child psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital."

or

"Dr Harold Koplewicz, a leading U.S. child psychiatrist, said...‘When children are born, they’re not a blank slate. We do have male brains and female brains,’ he says. ‘There’s a reason why boys do more rough and tumble play; there’s a reason why girls have better language development skills.’"

...then, we have something to be concerned about as this expanding trend starts to touch on all our children within the public school environment as seen in examples pointed out in this article as well as seen in California's mandatory Program to Deal with Gender and Sexual Orientation like the one below where children as young as five years old are taught that there are more than two genders.

Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

"For example, some boys can act like girls; some girls can have boy body parts; and some biological boys feel like a girl inside their hearts, he said."
"It turns out that there are not just two options," he said.

Read more: Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

This will all be a trash TV bonanza in 15 years. A world full of effeminate Danny Bonaduces...can't wait!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Honestly, I don't believe in raising a child gender-neutral, however, if my daughter grows up to be more tomboyish, then that's her perogative. I'll support her no matter what she chooses (within the law, of course).

That being said, while gender is distinct, gender roles are extinct.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
My children are going to grow up with the correct expectations of their gender. My daughters are going to be female and my sons are going to be male. None of this gender-neutral crap

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Parents have a responsibility to raise their children with respect to the gender they were born with.
Once a child matures into adulthood it is then their prerogative to live however they wish.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
I see nothing wrong with raising a gender neutral infant, which appears to be what is happening in the story listed.

If you insist in placing gender roles on a newborn, you have issues, IMO.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I see nothing wrong with raising a gender neutral infant, which appears to be what is happening in the story listed.

If you insist in placing gender roles on a newborn, you have issues, IMO.
Nobody places gender roles on newborns. They can't comprehend very well. Gender roles begin in the toddler age

Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My children are going to grow up with the correct expectations of their gender. My daughters are going to be female and my sons are going to be male. None of this gender-neutral crap
Hope that doesn't blow up in your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies