Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Polygamy Rights?
Yes 52 65.00%
No 28 35.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:33 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
What is the divorce rate among polygamists?
I am sure that is hard to tell since most of them are only legally married to one wife, the rest are "spiritual" marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
You could look to societies where polygamy is practiced and see I imagine...

Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why not.....as long as they can support ALL their spouses..
Back in what would be Utah the Mormons had the rich people having the most kids they also had no poor. So ya hve the top end out breading the bottom end would be good for everybody.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I am a no.

Marriage is a contract.

To be married to more than one person at a time violates the premise of that contract.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am a no.

Marriage is a contract.

To be married to more than one person at a time violates the premise of that contract.
Contracts can be written any way you want. Legal contracts can only be written inside of the law. Change the law and you change the contract.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I do not support gay marriage and I sure as heck do not support polygamy "rights."

But if gov't got out of the marriage business altogether, I don't know what would happen. I'm not gay and neither my husband or I desires to marry someone else, so it wouldn't affect me anyway. Whatever floats your boat, just remember you gotta take it up with God when you die.
God does not say anything on the matter, in fact the practice was common in Biblical Days, read your old testament.
Casper

Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I always wanted two husbands, one white-collar high wage earner with who can supply the benefits and another blue-collar who can fix things around the house and is handy with day to day things. I could stay home and raise the kids, take care of the house and extended family, etc. and not have to worry about money.

I don't see the point of two wives however, expecially if the it's set up where the man is the primary wage earner like most of these situations are. Seems harder and backwards to me.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I always wanted two husbands, one white-collar high wage earner with who can supply the benefits and another blue-collar who can fix things around the house and is handy with day to day things. I could stay home and raise the kids, take care of the house and extended family, etc. and not have to worry about money.

I don't see the point of two wives however, expecially if the it's set up where the man is the primary wage earner like most of these situations are. Seems harder and backwards to me.
Or you can find one that is both
Casper

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

As a man, I can see the point in two or more wives. A little variety would be nice--like a brunette Italian, blond Scandanavian, and an Asian woman(sort of the Charlie's Angels theory) But, I have to put up with enough bickering with one woman, I can't imagine how much complaints you have to deal with three wives. I mean how many times would I be reminded to keep the toilet seat down? Although most polygamists tend to be in sexist societies that repress women or David Koresh/Warren Jeffs-style cult leaders, so the women aren't allowed to freely voice their opinions. If you're rich it'd probably be easier to grab a mistress or two, at least that's how they do it in Europe.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am sure that is hard to tell since most of them are only legally married to one wife, the rest are "spiritual" marriages.
I do not know about some of the more closed off societies, but I hear divorce usually only happens if a wife is taken and given to another man to punish the husband in some way. In more mainstream and non religious polygamous families, divorce is not very common. My family works with pro-polygamy organizations and we personally know a hundred or so polygamous families and I do not know anyone who is divorced. Generaly polygamous people are very commited to their families and to each other as spouses so divorce is not very common. I know many polygamous people who put so much more effort into their relationship than most monogamous couples do because it's not just their relationship that matters; it effects everyones relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies