U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
73 posts, read 52,935 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Let me preface this thread by stating that I am only 30 years old. Perhaps some of the more "seasoned" posters on the C-D forum can give their experiences.....

WAAAAAAAY back when I was in highschool if you and someone else had a problem....you fought. Fist to Fist, one on one.

Not a day goes by that I don't read about some highschool kid getting blown away by another highschool kid because one looked at the other wrong.

What happened to solving your differences by pounding it out of each other? Why are kids today so quick to pull the trigger? Are kids now a days scared to take a punch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,385 posts, read 8,289,618 times
Reputation: 7669
http://www.tigermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/duel.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: I'm around here someplace :)
3,633 posts, read 4,226,627 times
Reputation: 3980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnttokr1 View Post
Let me preface this thread by stating that I am only 30 years old. Perhaps some of the more "seasoned" posters on the C-D forum can give their experiences.....

WAAAAAAAY back when I was in highschool if you and someone else had a problem....you fought. Fist to Fist, one on one.

Not a day goes by that I don't read about some highschool kid getting blown away by another highschool kid because one looked at the other wrong.

What happened to solving your differences by pounding it out of each other? Why are kids today so quick to pull the trigger? Are kids now a days scared to take a punch?
well, I certainly don't agree with physical fighting, but one thing I noted from both my kids' and my own schooling experiences was kids were often in a lose/lose situation:
if a kid defended himself in any way (such as against bullying) he risked getting kicked out of school, while bringing the problem to the attention of teachers or other staff resulted in getting in trouble for 'tattling'...
IMHO it's the job of school staff to ensure a safe environment, & many simply didn't/don't do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
73 posts, read 52,935 times
Reputation: 28
LoL. right. Perhaps I should have said...not taking it back to the revolutionary days OR the Wild West....I have a feeling thats where it was going next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
 
23,852 posts, read 19,066,862 times
Reputation: 9373
I don't advocate fisticuffs, but I do see your point. Guys duked it out when I was in school too. In fact, we had a place off campus grounds called "The Hill" that was tucked away on a dirt road in some trees. That's where the fights took place. Whenever there was a "fight" everyone assembled there to get a peak. If you didn't show up to settle your differences, guess what you were called? Wussy with a P. In those days, getting called a *ussy was worse than getting your ass beat. "The Hill" always had a way of neutralizing arguments before it came to fists. But the worst of beefs were definitely settled there. And when the fight was over, that was the end of it. Beef settled.

Some people just deserve a good ass whooping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 AM
 
2,689 posts, read 2,994,769 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't advocate fisticuffs, but I do see your point. Guys duked it out when I was in school too. In fact, we had a place off campus grounds called "The Hill" that was tucked away on a dirt road in some trees. That's where the fights took place. Whenever there was a "fight" everyone assembled there to get a peak. If you didn't show up to settle your differences, guess what you were called? Wussy with a P. In those days, getting called a *ussy was worse than getting your ass beat. "The Hill" always had a way of neutralizing arguments before it came to fists. But the worst of beefs were definitely settled there. And when the fight was over, that was the end of it. Beef settled.

It isn't settled there. Grudges sit for a long, long time. I remember who bullied me, and who caused me pain, and its been 15 years since then. You don't forget.

If you really think its settled 1. you were probably a bully or 2. you're really naive.

Some people just deserve a good ass whooping.
Usually those people are the bullies. Those are the people that think they are entitled to something else because they are 1. Bigger or 2. Better looking.

I disagree with both solutions. I understand how it happens though. Its simply common sense in the mind of a teenager. If you're being bullied or picked on and you know you can't fight back and do any damage what should you do? Fight and lose? Then you've just shown that you can take a beating. You've just shown to everyone else that you can be beaten up. So you're weak and vulnerable.

Given how much bullying I saw in public schools (both as a teacher and as a student), I find it miraculous that there aren't more shootings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,094 posts, read 69,569,075 times
Reputation: 27511
When I was in elementary I got teased about my glasses by one girl.
Came home crying. My father told me next time she says that punch her in the nose.
I did and she didn't tease me anymore. We actually became friends.

And this was Catholic school full of nuns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,219,118 times
Reputation: 8601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnttokr1 View Post
Let me preface this thread by stating that I am only 30 years old. Perhaps some of the more "seasoned" posters on the C-D forum can give their experiences.....

WAAAAAAAY back when I was in highschool if you and someone else had a problem....you fought. Fist to Fist, one on one.

Not a day goes by that I don't read about some highschool kid getting blown away by another highschool kid because one looked at the other wrong.

What happened to solving your differences by pounding it out of each other? Why are kids today so quick to pull the trigger? Are kids now a days scared to take a punch?
You're funny, perhaps you should read more about Americas primal past. People were killed by one another all the time for as little as bumping into someone on the street.

This idea of Americas past being a "man on man" with fists, and a family of one wife, one husband, and 2.5 kids didn't come about until the 50's. America has a much more violent and bloody history them most folks seem to remember.

The only reason mass murder like we've seen in columbine seems so evil is because we've grown accustomed to living a life without much threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
73 posts, read 52,935 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're funny, perhaps you should read more about Americas primal past. People were killed by one another all the time for as little as bumping into someone on the street.

This idea of Americas past being a "man on man" with fists, and a family of one wife, one husband, and 2.5 kids didn't come about until the 50's. America has a much more violent and bloody history them most folks seem to remember.

The only reason mass murder like we've seen in columbine seems so evil is because we've grown accustomed to living a life without much threat.
Perhaps the reason folks don't remember it is because there are no living connections to it. Sure. I know that people use to settle disputed by pacing turning and shooting but guess what...I wasn't alive then and none of my living relative were either.

You know EXACTLY what I meant with my original post....and if you didn't you could have gotten the jist by reading what others have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,219,118 times
Reputation: 8601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnttokr1 View Post
Perhaps the reason folks don't remember it is because there are no living connections to it. Sure. I know that people use to settle disputed by pacing turning and shooting but guess what...I wasn't alive then and none of my living relative were either.

You know EXACTLY what I meant with my original post....and if you didn't you could have gotten the jist by reading what others have posted.
No, you're idea is that people should settle things fist to fist. In reality, if we are going to settle things with violence, there will be the worst possible violence involved, ie killing people with guns.

If you want to have a real switch, then you shouldn't condone violence of any kind, and you should settle things with words, and see people as having something to benefit everyone.

Even a homeless man has some value in society. In order to end the "kids with guns" problem, then we should look for how we can include everyone in a productive way.

In reality, there will always be violence in our lifetime, we aren't evolved from our ancestors that much. Humans will kill humans, anyway we can, for a long time to come, and there is nothing you can do to ever stop that completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top