Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of threads here on CD talking about the alarming rate of teen suicide in the homosexual community, there are quite a few groups that fight to stop this trend and help these kids so that they know there are alternatives to suicide. It's also widely known that suicide is generally connected to mental instability.

Suicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Suicide is often committed out of despair, or attributed to some underlying mental disorder which includes depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, alcoholism and drug abuse
If we know that suicide is often linked to a mental disorder why aren't we approaching this issue differently? We treat all sorts of mental disorders and we go out of our way to make people dealing with minor and major mental disorders feel more accepted in society like they should be. If we all show compassion towards homosexuals who are dealing with this mental disorder wouldn't it greatly lessen the risk of teen suicide in the gay community?
I applaud the state of NY for their vote yesterday to allow gay marriage, this is a huge step to showing that the society as a whole is becoming more accepting of the disorder and it shows that people who are affected by it can lead completely normal lives in a family atmosphere and even with adopted children.

I feel that we as a country don't do near enough to combat gay bullying in our schools, we protect people with all sorts of problems and issues (mental and physical) but we provide very little support for this one mental disorder which in turn leads to a large number of teen suicides each year. How can we move forward and protect these kids in need while making them feel accepted regardless of their condition?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
The thread title is provocative, and inflammatory, and I seriously question how supportive you can be of the LGBT community when using such insulting language.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
homosexuality is not a mental disorder. homophobia and intolerance may indeed be

Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Troll thread. There is no such mental disorder as homosexuality.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
I've long thought that scientists should study the lack of personal fortitude in homosexuals teens. What is it about being homosexual that makes a person so sensitive? Don't blast yourself..... Buck up and fight back! What's the correlation? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 AM

72 posts, read 63,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I've seen a lot of threads here on CD talking about the alarming rate of teen suicide in the homosexual community, there are quite a few groups that fight to stop this trend and help these kids so that they know there are alternatives to suicide. It's also widely known that suicide is generally connected to mental instability.

Suicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we know that suicide is often linked to a mental disorder why aren't we approaching this issue differently? We treat all sorts of mental disorders and we go out of our way to make people dealing with minor and major mental disorders feel more accepted in society like they should be. If we all show compassion towards homosexuals who are dealing with this mental disorder wouldn't it greatly lessen the risk of teen suicide in the gay community?
I applaud the state of NY for their vote yesterday to allow gay marriage, this is a huge step to showing that the society as a whole is becoming more accepting of the disorder and it shows that people who are affected by it can lead completely normal lives in a family atmosphere and even with adopted children.

I feel that we as a country don't do near enough to combat gay bullying in our schools, we protect people with all sorts of problems and issues (mental and physical) but we provide very little support for this one mental disorder which in turn leads to a large number of teen suicides each year. How can we move forward and protect these kids in need while making them feel accepted regardless of their condition?
You IN FACT are promoting gay bullying by saying that homosexuality is a mental disorder/condition. How can you not see that?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The thread title is provocative, and inflammatory, and I seriously question how supportive you can be of the LGBT community when using such insulting language.
Inflammatory? What language did I use?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
homosexuality is not a mental disorder. homophobia and intolerance may indeed be
Of course it is, are you insinuating that a person chooses to be gay? Come on, that's ridiculous.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Troll thread. There is no such mental disorder as homosexuality.
Actually there very much is, it's well documented throughout history and it's been debated for decades. This isn't a troll thread, this is about educating people and eliminating teen suicide.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM

72 posts, read 63,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've long thought that scientists should study the lack of personal fortitude in homosexuals teens. What is it about being homosexual that makes a person so sensitive? Don't blast yourself..... Buck up and fight back! What's the correlation? I'm genuinely curious.
I don't tihnk lack of fortitude is reserved for only homosexual teens. I believe that teens/children in general have become overly sensitive over the years.

But thats a topic for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.