Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How do you know?
I know it because I believe gay people when they continually claim that they're perfectly normal and just like everyone else. If that's true then why would the children they raise be any different? Are gay people different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I don't think any study has been done so there is no concrete numbers. I just notice it from interacting with all the families (both gay/lesbian and traditional) in my neighborhood and at my son's middle school.
Check out Judith Stacey. She's done studies on this very topic.

Judith Stacey, SCA | NYU

Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm not sure how people with the mental disorder of homosexuality would be any better or worse than people without when it comes to raising children. We're all humans and nobody is perfect.
Another illogical phallus, see?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I know it because I believe gay people when they continually claim that they're perfectly normal and just like everyone else. If that's true then why would the children they raise be any different? Are gay people different?
Because gay people can't pop out babies by accident. It's not cause we're gay, it's because it's a different situation.

I imagine the same discrepancy is found among adoptive heterosexual families. All the hoops my parents had to go through to adopt me meant they had to really want to have a kid. They had to go through all kinds of psychological testing to prove they were fit to parent. So with gay parents it's not that they're gay, it's just that would-be gay parents that aren't as good get weaved out by the adoption process.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
You've presented your Strawman phallus, see?

Rather limp argument.

Last edited by Ceist; 06-27-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Because gay people can't pop out babies by accident. It's not cause we're gay, it's because it's a different situation.

I imagine the same discrepancy is found among adoptive heterosexual families. All the hoops my parents had to go through to adopt me meant they had to really want to have a kid. They had to go through all kinds of psychological testing to prove they were fit to parent. So with gay parents it's not that they're gay, it's just that would-be gay parents that aren't as good get weaved out by the adoption process.
It's true...when you have to have psychological fitness testing and spend tens of thousands of dollars, you kinda preselect a different group of people.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That has not been our experience in liberal gayville, here in Texas.

Those kids are messed up. They are all bi-sexual... ALL. They are so confused and have absolutely no direction in life. Suicide rates among them are the highest of all teens, when put into that category.

Define Better and is that a biased opinion, with no facts to back your statement.
What's your basis for this claim? Experimenting doesn't make you bisexual.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's true...when you have to have psychological fitness testing and spend tens of thousands of dollars, you kinda preselect a different group of people.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Yes, and I would also like to see the study itself broken down. Were the families henpicked? Was the whole study a set up? 84 families isn't much. The gay parented households could have been the cream of the crop.

Looking at this fairly, adoptive parents (which I am imagining gay couple parents will likely fall into) are held to higher standards: economically, professionally, etc. Overall, their lives will be likely look better than your average parents.

So, that is a variable that would fall into the favor of ADOPTIVE gay parents, but isn't UNIQUE to them.

So, has the OP thought of that, or just trying to sneak one by?
Exactly. It is because of the adoptive process. No doubt about that. The same goes for adoptive straight parents. But because most gay parents are adoptive parents, it turns out most gay parents are also more effective parents because they've gone through that adoptive process.

But if they did the study with gay parents who had children biologically with someone of the opposite sex (whether for the sole purpose of procreating or because they had a previous heterosexual relationship), the results would probably come out equivalent to heterosexual parents.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's a good point, hadn't thought about it like that to be honest. Given that scenario though, wouldn't it only be fair to compare gay parents to straight parents who are in the same situation, whether it be adoption, sperm donation, etc etc etc? You can't really compare the parenting of a gay couple that spent years and thousands of dollars just to adopt a child to the parenting of a single mother who views a child as an addition to her monthly check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies