Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times

Advertisements

Men will try to marry a woman as young as possible. It is only natural. Who created the arbitrary age of 17 or 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
This has been happening in South Asian countries for tons of years and to this day continues .
And in Central Asian countries and in the Middle East. Already we see examples in countries like England where relationships that are illegal there are allowed if they take place in another country and the people then immigrate to England. Polygamy is one example. It is illegal in England but if you are alreay in a polygamous relationship it is honored when you move to England (and you can claim welfare benefits for all of your wives). Why would anyone doubt that marriage to anyone under 18 would not also be honored one day? The only doubt I have to the OP's premise is that it will take 40 years. I'd say more like 25.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Men will try to marry a woman as young as possible. It is only natural. Who created the arbitrary age of 17 or 18?
...and it begins.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I love how homophobic fundamentalist loons say legalizing gay marriage will allow for pedophilia, like the public acceptance of caffeine as a drug will make sure heroin will be legal. You need to ignore as well the people with the biggest pedophilia problem has been the catholic church.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I love how homophobic fundamentalist loons say legalizing gay marriage will allow for pedophilia, like the public acceptance of caffeine as a drug will make sure heroin will be legal. You need to ignore as well the people with the biggest pedophilia problem has been the catholic church.
Your against marriage to children?

Your gonna want to upgrade your progressive credentials over the coming decades if you still want to fit in with your friends.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Morality will continue to "evolve" into something that today would be unrecognizable.
Morality already evolved. Children under the age of consent can not and should not be able to enter the legal contract of marriage.

But, either way, your premise is just a False Dilemma.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Morality already evolved. Children under the age of consent can not and should not be able to enter the legal contract of marriage.

But, either way, your premise is just a False Dilemma.
Wouldn't my argument be a false dilemma if I said that either child marriage will be legal in the future or some other currently illegal form of marriage will be legal in the future (such as human/animal marriage)?

But not both?

I think that is a false dilemma.

I am merely making a prediction on the next 40 years based along a morality line going back 40 years. Current trends may reverse but I see nothing standing in the way of modernization of progressive social thought.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and it begins.
It began a long time ago

But, no, now that some states have recognized that ALL citizens have EQUAL HUMAN RIGHTS....

I'm sure that first people will want to marry their pets, then trees and plants , then garden gnomes....not necessarily in that order!

OH HELP, the Sky is falling! We're doomed!!!!

Gosh, first they "let" blacks marry whites(sarcasm) and it opened the flood gates to a living hell of equal rights!!
(SARCASM)

Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
With Islam taking over the world you are probably correct...

If that happens the gay population will disappear as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
The trend over time has been a sharp reduction in the number of teenagers involved in marriages. The legal marriage age in some states is as low as 13, which seems ridiculous now, but which was reasonably common in past centuries.

I certainly don't see any "current trends" involving more teens getting married, or older folks marrying teens, or whatever else is implied in the OP. That just isn't taking place. Nor does there seem to be much "social demand" for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies