Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Keep ignoring all the rebuttal of all your idiocies. It nicely illustrates the bankruptcies of your claims, and the fact that you can't counter them.

Game.
Set.
Point.

You lose.
That's what happens to losers... loser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Anger and bitterness.
I'll admit that Voyageur might be showing a bit of anger there. But could you point out the 'bitterness' because, frankly, I don't see any. And, btw, your replies are getting not only repetitive, but downright boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
hammertime33-
"Are you suggesting they sometime will?

I suppose that if my cat had the ability to think rationally and effectively communicate with human beings and both it and a human wanted to marry each other, I wouldn't have a problem with that."

I'm not surprised.

You think in the early to mid '60s even anyone would have thought we'd come to where we are today?

The thought would have been laughed at as the most absurd thing ever heard.
Well, this "old lady" was in high school in the mid '60s and even then I couldn't understand the fear of homosexuality shown by teachers and students alike. I knew one substitute teacher that everyone suspected was homosexual. Guess what? He never made passes at students or even other teachers! He was so far in the closet that when asked he would vehemently deny his homosexuality. It was only confirmed for me when, a few years later, his sister and I lived in the same apartment building. I was raised to believe everyone was a good person until their actions proved differently. In the half dozen years this man was a part of my life, his actions never proved he was anything but a decent person, who simply preferred men to women. And yes, even then I thought it ridiculous that this man wouldn't be able to have a legal relationship with someone he loved.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Adults should be able to enter into any contractual agreements with other adults of their choosing. Panicking over the idea of adults marrying children is just silly and irrational. Why do we need the government to sanction our marriages at all?
So get a lawyer and write a contract. Leave marriage out of this. If it was only about a contract, why are people whining?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What about them? They're cheap knock-offs.
Right. Unless they repent of their sin and believe in Jesus Christ as the atoning sacrifice for their sin. People don't go to hell because of where they are born--they go to hell because they don't trust Christ.
IMO, works matter just as much, if not more, than faith alone. I simply don't buy the notion that works don't matter.

Said as a Protestant Christian, but who also rejects "salvation by faith alone", and supports the Roman Catholic belief of faith+works. Faith+works is much more logical, and balanced.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
IMO, works matter just as much, if not more, than faith alone. I simply don't buy the notion that works don't matter.

Said as a Protestant Christian, but who also rejects "salvation by faith alone", and supports the Roman Catholic belief of faith+works. Faith+works is much more logical, and balanced.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged".
I'd argue that one to the death with you, but I'm not sure this thread is the spot to do that in.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Democrats and Liberals have never been known for exceptional foresight.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So get a lawyer and write a contract. Leave marriage out of this. If it was only about a contract, why are people whining?
Haha. You're still repeating this BS?

So if I write up a piece of paper saying my foreign born gay partner deserves a spousal immigration visa and then we both sign it and give it to the state department, he'll be allowed to legally stay in the US (or will he be deported)?

If I write up a piece of paper saying that I don't have to pay unemployment insurance tax on the wages of my gay partner whom I employ and then hand it to the IRS in explanation of why I haven't been paying that tax, the IRS will allow me to not pay it (or will I be arrested prosecuted for tax fraud)?

I can't write up a contract to give me back the 1400 civil rights you and your ilk have taken away from me (and are so giddy and proud of having done so) .

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I'll admit that Voyageur might be showing a bit of anger there. But could you point out the 'bitterness' because, frankly, I don't see any. And, btw, your replies are getting not only repetitive, but downright boring.
If my replies are getting boring then why are you requesting a new one?

Well anyway...the bitterness is based on the fact that my original post was an observation based on what has happened during the previous 40 years.

Perhaps marrying children will still be illegal in 2051 but the point was we have NO IDEA what will define morality then. But a guess doesn't break any rules.

Heck, maybe recent events will force a reaction that pushes everybody back to church (or temple or Mosque) and 40 years from now the social zeitgeist will be something akin to 17th century New England Puritanism. I don't know. That wouldn't be so great either, though.

But this is a forum for political conversation and debate. So I put it out there what I truly think will happen based on the moving goalposts of "morality" in the U.S.

The "bitterness" comes from the truly angry responses from people who hold a different view and are outraged that I hold mine.

A more mature response, I believe, should have been something like, "I disagree, society isn't heading in the direction you say it is." This could be followed by a reasoned argument. Some people here have done that. Most people haven't.

But since we are talking about liberals here the response was shock and outrage. This is how the term "political correctness" was born. It is the inverse of how Southern Conservatives behaved during Jim Crow. Either you are with us or you shall be damned! Imagine what a message board then would have looked like if someone dared predict what we are seeing today!

I expect the angry emotionalism to continue but I hope people can calm down and realize that their viewpoint isn't so sacred that they must pop a forehead vein in anger to respond to an alternative (and formerly mainstream) viewpoint.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Haha. You're still repeating this BS?

So if I write up a piece of paper saying my foreign born gay partner deserves a spousal immigration visa and then we both sign it and give it to the state department, he'll be allowed to legally stay in the US (or will he be deported)?

If I write up a piece of paper saying that I don't have to pay unemployment insurance tax on the wages of my gay partner whom I employ and then hand it to the IRS in explanation of why I haven't been paying that tax, the IRS will allow me to not pay it (or will I be arrested prosecuted for tax fraud)?

I can't write up a contract to give me back the 1400 civil rights you and your ilk have taken away from me (and are so giddy and proud of having done so) .
So your foreign born lover needs to follow immigration policy. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be harsh, but he's not your wife.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If my replies are getting boring then why are you requesting a new one?

Well anyway...the bitterness is based on the fact that my original post was an observation based on what has happened during the previous 40 years.

Perhaps marrying children will still be illegal in 2051 but the point was we have NO IDEA what will define morality then. But a guess doesn't break any rules.

Heck, maybe recent events will force a reaction that pushes everybody back to church (or temple or Mosque) and 40 years from now the social zeitgeist will be something akin to 17th century New England Puritanism. I don't know.

But this is a forum for observation and debate. So I put it out there what I truly think will happen based on the moving goalposts of "morality" in the U.S.

The "bitterness" comes from the truly angry responses from people who hold a different view and are outraged that I hold mine.

A more mature response, I believe, should have been something like, "I disagree, society isn't heading in the direction you say it is."

But since we are talking about liberals here the response was shock and outrage. This is how the term "political correctness" was born. It is the inverse of how Southern Conservatives behaved during Jim Crow. Either you are with us or you shall be damned!

I expect the angry emotionalism to continue but I hope people can calm down and realize that their viewpoint isn't so sacred that they must pop a forehead vein in anger to respond to an alternative (and formerly mainstream) viewpoint.
I disagree, society isn't heading in the direction you say it is (unless conservative religion takes back a stranglehold on power). If you look back, it use to be perfectly acceptable to marry and have sex with pubescent kids (girls at least). This was considered normal and moral, and was approved by and practiced primarily within the confines of conservative churches and religions. When girls hit puberty, they were essentially treated as sexual property to be sold into marriage as essentially domestic and sexual slaves.

Thankfully people who valued understanding and knowledge - you know, liberals - fought against this injustice and immorality. Today we much better understand the deleterious effects of introducing children to adult things (like sex, marriage, the workplace, etc, etc, etc) thanks to liberals. Thanks to liberals, we also respect women's rights of self-determination.

Children are much less likely to be abused in this day and age because of this progress of knowledge in modern society. Had we left things to conservatives and conservative religion, women would still be viewed as property that could be married off (and essentially raped) as soon as puberty started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies