Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should low income seniors/disabled continue to get housing assistance
No, they should make sacrifices like everyone else. 4 7.02%
No, they shouldn't have got it in the 1st place. People depend too much on the government 10 17.54%
Yes, these are among the most vulnerable members of our society and deserve our help. 28 49.12%
Yes, but only if the program is overhauled to cut excess spending and prevent abuses of the program 17 29.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry you didn't understand my post. I said I BELIEVE MOST agencies got huge increases. I used the FDA as an example because it was what I remembered.
I didn't have time to look up HUD.

I noticed you didn't bother. Maybe you were afraid of what you would find.
Good grief! You didn't read my lengthy post with full citations that I wrote about 50 posts back? At the time, I commented that probably two people would bother to read the entire post. You obviously weren't one of the two.

Quote:
HUD’s $35.2 billion Budget for FY 2008 – an increase of $1.6 billion over last year’s request.
http://www.hud.gov/about/budget/fy08/fy08budget.pdf
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn about HUD's 2008 budget. That was 3 years ago. We are facing a serious problem TODAY.

Quote:
HUD’s $38.5 billion proposed Budget for FY 2009
http://www.hud.gov/about/budget/fy09/fy09budget.pdf
See above.

The fiscal year 2010 Budget represents a vote of confidence that this broader transformation can be achieved. As illustrated by Appendix A, “HUD by the Numbers,” the Obama Administration requests a gross budget of $46.344 billion in fiscal year 2010, an increase of
10.8 percent over the fiscal year 2009 budget of $41.833 billion.

http://www.hud.gov/budgetsummary2010/fy10budget.pdf

From your own cite above:

QUOTE=]HUD is at the center of the federal response to the national mortgage meltdown and foreclosure emergency. In the midst of a credit crunch, the Federal Housing Administration (“FHA”) is playing a critical countercyclical role. FHA represented 23.7 percent of single family mortgage dollar volume in the last quarter of 2008, up from 1.9 percent in 2006, serving 1.4 million households in 2008. HUD is actively involved in foreclosure mitigation, homeownership counseling and a myriad of efforts to curb mortgage abuse and lending discrimination. HUD is also part of efforts to rethink the regulatory structure governing the housing sector, to prevent the repetition of the reckless and speculative lending that precipitated the current housing crisis.[/quote]

Like so many Americans, you have a short memory. In the past few years, HUD has been trying to bail out the financial and mortgage melt down. That money went toward preserving home ownership by the middle class.

The type of housing I brought up in my OP was rental vouchers for low income elderly and disabled. These latter two programs got lost in the stampede to prop up crooked CEO’s and corrupt mortgage loan lending institutions. THAT group of people skated. THEY’RE not making sacrifices for the national debt, nor has anyone suggested weaning THEM from the government teat.

Quote:
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act invested $13.6 billion HUD programs
Quote:
. AKA the so -called Stimulus Act

The latest HUD budget proposal outlines a $48 billion spending program for fiscal year 2012, an increase of more than $900 million from 2010.
HUD 2012 Budget: Increased Outlays Offset by Incoming FHA Receipts
EXACTLY! The stimulus act is about getting Americans back to work and helping the economy to improve. Assisting middle income people with mortgages does nothing to help provide RENTAL housing for low income seniors and disabled. If you had read my previous posts, you would have seen how draconian the cuts to this segment of extremely vulnerable Americans truly is.

Quote:
You applied insult is not only childish but, just proves how small minded the left are
You mean “implied”? I’ll admit I thought it was bizarre that you threw a red herring like the FDA into the discussion If this makes me “small minded", so be it.

Quote:
Instead of making accusations why didn't you do a little research to check the fact yourself. You are either too lazy of are afraid of the facts.
Please don’t try to place your own failings at my door. The topic I am discussing is section 8 housing programs for the elderly and the disabled. You want to talk about the stimulus act instead. You are posting in the wrong thread. And calling me “lazy” and “afraid of facts” just proves how small minded the right is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The republican agenda is a full-blown war on Medicare an Social Security. The average SS benefit is less that $1000 a month. Try to live on that. Now consider that the senior that is doing it also has higher medical costs and many times must choose between meds or food. BTW, the senior is paying $100 each month for Medicare and still has to have a supplement insurance plan plus a prescription plan. So out of the $1000 almost $300 goes just for medical insurance. All the while he rich are getting richer and the republicans want to give them more.

Many of those seniors are veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Don't you think we owe them a little something?
I don't know the GOP agenda but I know that SS and Medi meed radical reform.

The new average check is $1,177 a month now and increasing daily. It was designed to be a portion of retirement, not the whole thing. We are adding a net 1.5 million new people to SS this year. The ones dropping off receive much smaller checks than the new ones.

The poverty rate is by far the lowest among those 65 and older of any age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies