U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should low income seniors/disabled continue to get housing assistance
No, they should make sacrifices like everyone else. 4 7.02%
No, they shouldn't have got it in the 1st place. People depend too much on the government 10 17.54%
Yes, these are among the most vulnerable members of our society and deserve our help. 28 49.12%
Yes, but only if the program is overhauled to cut excess spending and prevent abuses of the program 17 29.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 PM

4,273 posts, read 3,961,324 times

Advertisements

Currently, low income seniors and low income disabled - those at or below the poverty level - can get housing assistance either through a housing voucher (section 8) or by qualifying for a small apartment in seniors/disabled only apartments administered by HUD.

With the Federal deficit what it is and in the current political climate, many in Congress want to eliminate these programs. This will make many older and/or disabled Americans homeless, and will actually make almost no difference in the amount of National debt.

Do you support these proposed cuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,128,197 times
No I don't support cutting funding to assist the elderly and disabled.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM

9,878 posts, read 11,390,850 times
Well, this issue is sort of personal to me because my grandmother lived in a Section 8 apartment.

She was never eligible for SSI because she never worked due to having polio as a child, and well, generally, women born in 1909 didn't work much.

My grandfather worked but died right before his retirement age of 64. For three years my grandmother received survivors' benefits of some sort through my grandfather's union. After that expired, she lived off survivors benefits for social security. The section 8 voucher allowed her some semblence of independence. She was fortunate that she could have moved in with her children and we all welcomed her but she was adamant she didn't want to live on top of people. She was lucky in that she had a recourse but many seniors do not.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,175,803 times
Why no if your only talking low income seniors and disabled. Its only the able bodied folks that scam the system and drain these programs meant for the people you are talking about I would like to see cut off. PS howdy neighbor

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM

29,630 posts, read 31,948,941 times
It's not a simple topic. Like ChristinaVA said her grandmother COULD have lived with family but DIDN'T WANT TO. While I completely understand that I do wonder how long the goverment can fund what we WANT as opposed to what we NEED. Not everyone has those options of course.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,688,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Why no if your only talking low income seniors and disabled. Its only the able bodied folks that scam the system and drain these programs meant for the people you are talking about I would like to see cut off. PS howdy neighbor
I agree. I think most people want to help those that truly need it.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM

29,419 posts, read 17,968,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Currently, low income seniors and low income disabled - those at or below the poverty level - can get housing assistance either through a housing voucher (section 8) or by qualifying for a small apartment in seniors/disabled only apartments administered by HUD.

With the Federal deficit what it is and in the current political climate, many in Congress want to eliminate these programs. This will make many older and/or disabled Americans homeless, and will actually make almost no difference in the amount of National debt.

I've heard nothing of this. Please provide some info that congress is eliminating these programs.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,936,441 times
I think section 8 should ONLY be available to the elderly and permanently disabled. Maintain funding for them, and cut it for everyone else.

I live in a neighborhood with 16 section 8 complexes. The only one that doesn't have intense criminal activity is the elderly/disabled complex. They don't help lift anyone out of poverty; they just perpetuate multi-generational poverty.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,415,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

Only to the ones that vote republican.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,175,803 times
That didnt take long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies