Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
History was not on his side in 2008. How quick we forget. please run her or palin or cain or paul etc etc........The only one with a remote chance so far is romney and he will lose some ground in the south. Huntsman will be destroyed by rightwing radio and stands no chance to be nominated. History has never been on President Obama's side yet he continues to get hard fought victories.
How was history not on his side? Do you have any clue what history I am talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
As has already been explained to you, John Wayne's parents are in fact from Waterloo, though John Wayne was born 100 miles away. In my mind, he is certainly from the area. Her political enemies would love for her to have confused John Wayne Gacy with John Wayne in such a way that the only John Wayne who could possibly be from Waterloo would be the serial killer, but that isn't the case.

Here are the facts:

1) John Wayne's parents lived in Waterloo, IA following their marriage in 1905 but moved before John was born in 1907.

Duke: We're Glad We Knew You: John ... - Google Books

2) John Wayne was born in Winterset, IA 117.5 miles from Waterloo, IA.

3) John Wayne Gacy was born in Chicago, Il, 244 miles from Waterloo, IA.

4) John Wayne Gacy moved to Waterloo for a brief period of time before being sent to prison.

5) Because they have a chance to mock another conservative female, the left-wing smear machine has decided the only John Wayne who could possibly be from Waterloo, IA is John Wayne Gacy.
Per what you have said, the only notable American with the name John Wayne that could possibly be considered to be from Waterloo is John Wayne Gacy. John Wayne the great American actor never lived in Waterloo. His parents' brief time there is irrelevant. John Wayne Gacy did live in Waterloo for a time. It's a flub. Bachmann has already come out and admitted she made a flub. She got it wrong. She's not perfect, none of us are, and she got it wrong.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Per what you have said, the only notable American with the name John Wayne that could possibly be considered to be from Waterloo is John Wayne Gacy. John Wayne the great American actor never lived in Waterloo. His parents' brief time there is irrelevant. John Wayne Gacy did live in Waterloo for a time. It's a flub. Bachmann has already come out and admitted she made a flub. She got it wrong. She's not perfect, none of us are, and she got it wrong.
Thanks DC, we don't always agree but you are simply pointing out what I have been trying to get across. There are issues to be discussed. If one doesn't agree with a canidates views on things that are important, they have reasons to be concerned; people who think the way to address issues is to consentrate on misspoken comments are showing either a hateful or very immature side of themselves.

Nita

Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
How was history not on his side? Do you have any clue what history I am talking about?
Are you serious?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
That has no bearing on what she said, or didin't you read that far? She said John Wayne was from Waterloo Iowa. He wasn't. She made no mention of John Waynes parents.

But, go on stretching.

She also made no mention of "Gacy".

Winterset is 117 miles from Waterloo.

Chicago is 244 miles from Waterloo.

I don't see 117 miles being that significant a distance for him to be considered from there or at least connected in the context of her speech.

winterset IA - Google Maps

The only stretching going on here is that Bachmann was confused because she heard "John Wayne" was from Waterloo, didn't know the John Wayne mentioned (assuming it actually was) was in fact Gacy who lived there less than two years after leaving his hometown of Chicago where he is apparently not from and that she was not referring to John Wayne who was born in 1907, 117 miles away to parents who had just moved from Waterloo where they rented a home following their wedding in 1905.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Obama doesn't even know what year it is.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When you're saying someone was born in your hometown, you should know who that is.

I know of 4 semi-famous people from my hometown, and its larger then hers is.

The President has a whole list of folks born from Chicago, but I'd venture to say it'd be harder to remember all of the famous folks born in Chicago vs. Waterloo Iowa of 68,000 folks.
If you were born in a town but moved out before you could spell, would you still consider that your hometown?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If you were born in a town but moved out before you could spell, would you still consider that your hometown?
Who moved from Waterloo before they could spell?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She did make a mistake and was immediately hit for it by the MSM and their puppets in the Democrat party.

i loved the really early hours of this thread when the OP made a serious mistake about births and further on some of them went wild about Gacy being born in Waterloo when he moved there in adulthood.

Then someone of them came up with the claim that she had said that Paul Revere, etc when it was Palin who actually said that and was proved right by historians although so many lefties came along and said the historians were wrong.

Yes the lady did misspeak but don't we have example after example of Obama snd Joe "Foot in Mouth" Biden doing the same thing even while campaigning for their present jobs? I guess being a Republican woman is really something for the MSM to attack no matter whether they are right or not.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Born yes, he moved to Waterloo in 1967. I stand corrected, but its not my hometown. Gacy committed his first crimes in Waterloo, and was raised there. When I say hometown, I generally mean where I was born. Gacy got his crime start in Waterloo.
Apparently he wasn't even raised there. In fact, he did't step foot in Waterloo before he was in his mid-twenties.

You don't stand corrected, you stand just as guilty of embarrassing yourself as the author of this dishonest hit piece. Maybe your gaffe should be frontpage news as well, eh Memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies