Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,269 times

Advertisements

"After all, the chief business of the American people is business. They are profoundly concerned with producing, buying, selling, investing and prospering in the world. "
Calvin Coolidge

What's happened America? Because we definitely ain't pro-business anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
michigan has no corporate income tax and they have the highest un-employment rate in the US...so not always a direct correlation

Right.

It's actually worse than that.

They tax gross receipts.

In Case You Are Wondering Why There Are No Jobs In Michigan | motorcitytimes.com

Michigan Corporate Income Tax Rates - 2011

Didn't earn a profit?

Tough crap! Pay up!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
Strikes me as the fastest way to create jobs. Millions of jobs overnight.

Thoughts?

better yet, how about 0% corporate and 0% income tax. that way not only are millions employed, but people have more to spend.

let goverment make do with bonds, duties and tariffs.

small goverment is always better goverment.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:34 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
The fat cats will just use it to leverage their own bonus and salary total compensation
net result no jobs

Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
"Corporate" tax is double taxation in the first place. Those corporations are owned by stockholders, who already pay income tax (on dividends) or capital gains taxes on monies made on stock sales. Our high corporate income tax just forces companies to use various tax shelters or move off shore.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
"Corporate" tax is double taxation in the first place. Those corporations are owned by stockholders, who already pay income tax (on dividends) or capital gains taxes on monies made on stock sales. Our high corporate income tax just forces companies to use various tax shelters or move off shore.
Which in every company in american they have accountants to take advantage of every loop hole known to mankind.

In addition I will give an example of the bidding wars going on between the states for company hq just like where i reside in Illinois example sears

what gets to me is where in the heck is my break!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

232 posts, read 221,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
The fat cats will just use it to leverage their own bonus and salary total compensation
net result no jobs
So if corporations aren't going to create jobs in the future, who is?

Are we doomed in America?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM

232 posts, read 221,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Which in every company in american they have accountants to take advantage of every loop hole known to mankind.

In addition I will give an example of the bidding wars going on between the states for company hq just like where i reside in Illinois example sears

what gets to me is where in the heck is my break!
Is it not their right to avoid double taxation for their stockholders?

What kind of break do you have in mind? Lower taxes? Free stuff? Please explain the break you are seeking out.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Its definitely not the fastest way to create jobs. The fastest way would be to get a few million people, and give them shovels. Tell half to dig holes, and tell the other half to come along behind them and fill in the holes.

Also, not the fairest way to create jobs; if we tax individuals, then we should tax corporations as well. Do away with corporate tax, then you must also do away with personal tax. Corporate entities enjoy many individual liberties, like donating to politicians, so therefore they should share in the individual responsibility of paying taxes. 0% taxes would give corporations an upper hand in the political process over individuals who were paying 25-35% tax rates.

I will say that the jobs it did help create would be more productive than other job creation methods.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
So corporations have shipped jobs overseas because of America's poor infrastructure, high crime rate, and poor education. Interesting. I haven't heard that one before.
I'm sure you haven't, or at least haven't given other possibilities a thought. High effective corporate taxes have not prevented jobs being shipped overseas, especially China. The key there is cheap labor. The people who run these corporations are looking for quick bucks, not necessarily quality. A part of the problem is that these corporations are primarily run by money managers, not necessarily owners of the business who would make a few sacrifices for themselves so that their "baby" benefits.

America cannot make up for the cost of labor unless it becomes a third world country with people earning only a fraction of what they do right now. What it could do is instill a sense of quality, not quantity, being better, a look at Germans and how their manufacturing is thriving despite of considerably higher corporate taxes compared to (even) the neighbors.

Taxes are merely an excuse, not a solution. An effective solution to a problem must consider a bit more than common perceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies