Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:37 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
So?

More important, what are their opinions on global warming?

This academic works at a brothel?

LOL, it's been fun chatting with someone who has such disdain for a scientist that doesn't agree with the mainstream. Chatting with folks like yourself is a helpful reminder of why I have to pretend to be a progressive in front of my academic colleagues, just incase there are a couple of partisan wingbats among them who might try to get my funding cut off or stop me from getting tenure.
So you have no problem being a fraud. That explains a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Why would you say that? I never lie in my research, facts, or figures. I feel as though my personal feelings are my own, so when pushed to respond, I will only lie to avoid making enemies in the academic arena. Children who use our pedagogical systems thank us, and I would hate to follow your advice and possibly deny them efforts to help their education, because of what some partisan academics think of me.

Do you talk like this to gay people when they stay in the closet? "Just do it, grow some balls and come out already!". Bet you do.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
That's nothing, the EPA has been handing out grant money like candy on Halloween to buy consensus for their agenda.
I know. That horrible agenda of cleaning the environment. What will we do if our fish and lobster no longer have that tinge of oil taste? What if I'm able to breathe easier in Houston? What if the skys looked bluer? I shudder to think about it!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Any tech needs to stand on it's own feet, they need to be included in the cost of electricity. Pollution can be controlled within practical means, CO2 cannot at least with any of the present tech although algae is looking pretty good.
I'm with you an the algae coalman. Hoping for something really good to come of this.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM

If one wants to look at cleaning up the environment of co2 then your banging your head against the wall here in the US. Cap and trade will do nothing but cripple the economy more and it will have absolutely no signifigant impact on anything as long as China and India pump away. Why are the globals never jumping down their throats to stop pumping co2? That alone should tell you it's not about co2.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Why is Cleopatras palace under 30 feet of water?

Royal Quarter of Alexandria, Egypt, which was plunged into the sea over 1,600 years ago following a series of heavy earthquakes and tidal waves, as well as a continuous slow subsiding of the land. "Continuous slow subsiding of the land" means rising oceans.

The oceans have been rising for five milenia and only a few inches of that is in the last century. Are rising oceans and ice melt human caused?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Why is Cleopatras palace under 30 feet of water?

Royal Quarter of Alexandria, Egypt, which was plunged into the sea over 1,600 years ago following a series of heavy earthquakes and tidal waves, as well as a continuous slow subsiding of the land. "Continuous slow subsiding of the land" means rising oceans.

The oceans have been rising for five milenia and only a few inches of that is in the last century. Are rising oceans and ice melt human caused?
If I were you I'd be building an ark about now right?? Maybe watch that waterworld movie that costner was in to get ahead of the curve.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wouldn't that be- so you have no problem acting like a leftwingbat because teaching has become overun with leftwingbats?

Isn't it the condition of the profession inciting the need for fraud? I'd bet a conservative teacher would love to be outwardly conservative. Especially in a profession controlled by them, but that's impossible. Not becase of the teachers themselves, but because of the liberals inability to allow anyone to have views other than their own. What does that tell you about the level of tolerance by those liberals?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Climate sceptic Willie Soon received $1m from oil companies, papers show
Documents obtained by Greenpeace show prominent opponent of climate change was funded by ExxonMobil, among others

One of the world's most prominent scientific figures to be sceptical about climate change has admitted to being paid more than $1m in the past decade by major US oil and coal companies.

Dr Willie Soon, an astrophysicist at the Solar, Stellar and Planetary Sciences Division of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics, is known for his view that global warming and the melting of the arctic sea ice is caused by solar variation rather than human-caused CO2 emissions, and that polar bears are not primarily threatened by climate change.

But according to a Greenpeace US investigation, he has been heavily funded by coal and oil industry interests since 2001, receiving money from ExxonMobil, the American Petroleum Insitute and Koch Industries along with Southern, one of the world's largest coal-burning utility companies. Since 2002, it is alleged, every new grant he has received has been from either oil or coal interests.

In addition, freedom of information documents suggest that Soon corresponded in 2003 with other prominent climate sceptics to try to weaken a major assessment of global warming being conducted by the UN's leading climate science body, the Nobel prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Read more: Climate sceptic Willie Soon received $1m from oil companies, papers show | Environment | guardian.co.uk
I am confused. How is this a big find? He declares all of his research funding when he publishes, which btw is not required by the journals and is not done by all publishing authors (including those purporting AGW conclusions).

I find it amusing that Greenpeace is so adamant about funding being evidence of such when they have received hundreds of millions of dollars from oil companies themselves and have made efforts to hide such themselves. Are we to then conclude that Greenpeace is nothing but a political front for the oil companies? By their logic, I guess so. /shrug

Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Come on you AGW freakout people, get on the bandwagon and start attacking Greenpeace for taking Big Oil money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies