Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Pre-canned Answer 3: You aren't allowed to eat what you want because I say so and I can get together a mob of savages big enough which can pretty well prevent you from doing that.

I hate you all, and I hope the world burns to the ground.

Well that would be anarchy, without any freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 3,941 times
I believe that just like on a school bus that children MUST remain seated and if that requires the parent to restrain them by using a seat belt then so be it. Parents should be allowed to use their own judgment and so I don't believe there should be a law requiring children to wear seat belts but a good parent would require it. A large vehicle if hit will still thrust a person in that direction which it was hit,just like in a smaller vehicle.

But what are your thoughts on laws that fine or imprison a person because the government set laws that supposedly protect that person from themselves??

Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What is the purpose of laws that protect you from yourself?

What is that all about.
In some cases the goal is to protect society from you more than you from you.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What is the purpose of laws that protect you from yourself?

What is that all about.
You are a commodity, and your owners must protect their property.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddycole View Post
I believe that just like on a school bus that children MUST remain seated and if that requires the parent to restrain them by using a seat belt then so be it. Parents should be allowed to use their own judgment and so I don't believe there should be a law requiring children to wear seat belts but a good parent would require it. A large vehicle if hit will still thrust a person in that direction which it was hit,just like in a smaller vehicle.

But what are your thoughts on laws that fine or imprison a person because the government set laws that supposedly protect that person from themselves??
I'd be fine with you not wearing a seatbelt and getting away with it, but if you have kids who don't wear seatbelts/booster seats and get killed/harmed in an accident, then I think it should be an aggravating circumstance that results in criminal charges against you.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:32 PM

NOBODY OWENS ME!!! When our government states that these laws are in affect to protect society from my actions,then why are there laws stating that I am responsible for my actions. These laws that are set forth to protect me from me aren't stating that the actual act (crime) is directly the problem but the action that comes from what I have done to myself COULD cause other problems that our government feels that COULD jeopardize the well being of our society. Such as growing and using marijuana for self use could put a person in state of mind that COULD in danger our society physically and/or financially (ASSUMPTION). If one doesn't wear a seat belt (even if u have insurance) that if involved in an accident will cost our society to much money in hospital bills (ASSUMPTION). Our government passes laws with little or NO proof to support there claims and we just stand idle by and allow it. Why can't we grow hemp?? Because our government feels that there will be an out break of marijuana growth. Even thou it's a proven fact that hemp and marijuana grow differently and hemp has no THC we can't. They won't even let Native Americans grow hemp on their own land,they bust in and tear up and take any and all they have grown. I love America but I'm growing to hate our government, but is it my government I should hate or society (me included) for allowing the government to do what I hate so much -- TAKING AWAY MY FREEDOM TO LIVE MY LIFE AS I SEE FIT IF IT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY THE FREEDOM OF OTHERS!!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
NOBODY OWNS ME!!!
Control is the defining characteristic of ownership, and an infinite stream of words will never change the fact that they own you.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
NOBODY OWENS ME!!! When our government states that these laws are in affect to protect society from my actions,then why are there laws stating that I am responsible for my actions. These laws that are set forth to protect me from me aren't stating that the actual act (crime) is directly the problem but the action that comes from what I have done to myself COULD cause other problems that our government feels that COULD jeopardize the well being of our society. Such as growing and using marijuana for self use could put a person in state of mind that COULD in danger our society physically and/or financially (ASSUMPTION). If one doesn't wear a seat belt (even if u have insurance) that if involved in an accident will cost our society to much money in hospital bills (ASSUMPTION). Our government passes laws with little or NO proof to support there claims and we just stand idle by and allow it. Why can't we grow hemp?? Because our government feels that there will be an out break of marijuana growth. Even thou it's a proven fact that hemp and marijuana grow differently and hemp has no THC we can't. They won't even let Native Americans grow hemp on their own land,they bust in and tear up and take any and all they have grown. I love America but I'm growing to hate our government, but is it my government I should hate or society (me included) for allowing the government to do what I hate so much -- TAKING AWAY MY FREEDOM TO LIVE MY LIFE AS I SEE FIT IF IT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY THE FREEDOM OF OTHERS!!!!

The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution, are written on hemp.

Go figure?
It was a law, that everyone must grow hemp, at the very beginning of this nation.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,066 times
A: We don't live in the Libertarian Utopia of your fantasies.

Obvious answer to a silly question.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
A: We don't live in the Libertarian Utopia of your fantasies.

Obvious answer to a silly question.
It's that type of thinking that supports those who believe that nothing can be done,that our government OWNS US. What's you and others don't understand that something can be done. But if you don't stand and fight then you already lost!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies